Fellow Maxima Owners Oil Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call out to all maxima owners what oil do you use and what is your oci. Anybody welcome to chime in.

Any good 5w30 oil. Dino 5000 miles, probably could go 7500, 10,000 miles on synthetic. Have used Mobil l,PP, PU, YB, Quaker state, Castrol gtx,syntec, Valvoline, Havoline, exxon superflow, name it. Oh, have even used motul xess 5w40. Not a picky engine....best bet is what ever is on sale....

The VQ35 is a picky engine that shreds the viscosity out of oil. I run 0W40 Mobil with a Mobil 1-105 filter for 4K miles. The Maxima Forums did a huge UOA survey and found any oil is fine for 3K but after that only a handfull survives. Mobil 0W40 & GC30, Redline 40's & 30's and of course Amsoil did great.

I've used Amsoil, Syntec, Red Line and Mobil 1 5w-30 and GC 0w-30. Currently running a 3-1 ENEOS 0w-20/0w-50 blend because I got a case of 0w-20 free.

Of all the oils, the only difference between them was that M1 seemed a tad bit raspier at startup, but it also was the oil I used before I moved and started parking inside at night so who knows. Mileage seemed a bit worse on GC.

The thicker the better. (excluding like 50 weights)

I loved the way my VQ35's ran on GC. Regular 5w30 shears down too much after a few thousand miles.

Originally Posted By: Scotty59
Not a picky engine....best bet is what ever is on sale....

That is just not true. The VQ35 is a very picky engine and it beats oil to death. The VQ30 though, although being a sibling is very much different. Seems to be happy to go a normal length of time on any oil and not care less.

2 totally different engines as far as oil is concerned.

Originally Posted By: Scotty59
Any good 5w30 oil. Dino 5000 miles, probably could go 7500, 10,000 miles on synthetic. Have used Mobil l,PP, PU, YB, Quaker state, Castrol gtx,syntec, Valvoline, Havoline, exxon superflow, name it. Oh, have even used motul xess 5w40. Not a picky engine....best bet is what ever is on sale....

Like what has been said above the vq35 is extremely hard on oil, i only use a 40 weight 0w40 in the cold and 10w40 in the summer and it still beats up on the oil! whoever says the vq35 is not picky on oil has no idea what there talking about. I really like the M1 10w40 HM my engine has very little mileage, but it is a very stout oil that can stand the beating of summer heat and a really hot engine bay.

I have an I35, same eng and have been using a Valv mixture for several years. 2 qt Syn Power + 2 & 1/4 qt Valv Premium, 5-30.

Last edited:
I have owned 2 VQ35 engines, a Maxima and a Quest, both purchased new, both owned until the 120K mark or so. They are hard on oil...until you find the sweet spot.

I found out that Valvoline dino, maxlife or durablend was the best. It drank Mobil 1 and PP. Valvoline was the only one that was not down a quart or more after 4,000 miles. I did 4K-5K OCI with the valvoline, almost exclusively maxlife, and the only mechanical problems between the two were one O2 sensor in the maxima.

I can't wait to find an oil that my Murano doesn't make disappear at about a quart every 2000 miles! Right now I'm using Pennzoil Ultra and I have high hopes, but I really feel I'll be using Mobil 1 10W-40HM next time...

I've tried GC and Mobil1 (both 5w-30). My VQ did fine on the Mobil...somewhere around 50K (same time I switched to GC) it showed high Fe readings on my UOA. I switched back to Mobil1 (this time EP) but have not taken further UOA to see how it is doing.

Mine is one of the engines that does NOT consume a lot of oil. There is a member on the board with a Murano that has seen absolutely perfect UOAs on PP 5W-30.

My Dad's G35 and mom's EX35 use the same motor. They're both running GC 0w30 with good results. My Mom's old I30t (Maxima) ran on Mobil 1 5w30 for most of its life.

I have pretty much decided in my VQ that I'm going to run Valvoline MaxLife 5w-30. I like that it's a little thicker and easily available. It's also a syn blend, so that gives me a nice feeling. I'll probably do 3,750 to 5,000 OCIs. It seems to like the M1 AFE, but I would love to see if it sheared at all?

Originally Posted By: dparm
My Dad's G35 and mom's EX35 use the same motor. They're both running GC 0w30 with good results. My Mom's old I30t (Maxima) ran on Mobil 1 5w30 for most of its life.

I should clarify they both run the severe service interval of 3750 since most of their driving is city.

My Mother had a 1985 Nissan Maxima up until 1994.

The oil was changed every 3000 miles at whatever quick lube was cheapest. Sometimes Dad would change it, and use Castrol 10w40.

The engine never leaked or burned oil. The timing belt was ignored and at 90,000 miles it wrecked the engine.

Good thing every Maxima had a chain from 1995-onward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back