Fed Up with Driving a Manual Transmission?

Because CVTs are all the rage right now on econocars, and because of their inherent reliability problems as of late, I was thinking of getting a manual car. I need a small car for parking purposes and commuting. My first car was a stick shift and I absolutely loved driving it. However, that was when I was 19 (I am 38 now). Have any of you guys gotten tired of driving a manual and now hate it, compared to an auto?

I'm with you - given the choice I will choose an automatic. Depending on what I am doing with the vehicle, automatics perform better anyway - for instance rock crawling is much easier given an automatic over a manual. Autocross, probably the manual, unless the auto is the Porsche PDK version.

Because CVTs are all the rage right now on econocars, and because of their inherent reliability problems as of late, I was thinking of getting a manual car. I need a small car for parking purposes and commuting. My first car was a stick shift and I absolutely loved driving it. However, that was when I was 19 (I am 38 now). Have any of you guys gotten tired of driving a manual and now hate it, compared to an auto?
I used to love my manual, too. I miss it often. Unless I'm stuck in traffic. Then I don't miss the endless clutch, shift, clutch shift, clutch, shift, clutch, shift...

In a sporty car I actually prefer a manual. On a daily driver it depends on the commute. If you regularly encounter traffic jams or stop and go traffic, then a manual gets tiresome. Otherwise the manual is just fine. Like ripcord said, the shifting becomes automatic, I don't even think about it.

Reactions: JTK
Yea, my commute is a lot of stop and go traffic. I just would hate to have a CVT give up on me and have to shell out 3-5k for a new/rebuilt one. I hate that when the CVTs fail they send shrapnel all over. A run of the mill domestic auto tranny is like 1500 to rebuild.

Manual trans for me.

I leave my auto in S mode most of time and I shift when I want to. the stupid computer wants to be in 6th gear at 40 mph to save 4 cents of fuel. :mad:

I don’t get tired of it both of my cars are manual which is two one of which is cable clutch manual and not hydraulic so the pedal is heavy to push and hold down so I’m not too big of a fan of that but it’s not too bad. And that’s my dream car so I wouldn’t ever give up driving it. Living in a mostly rural area not a whole lot of stop and go until you get down the mountain and into town. My truck which is a normal hydraulic clutch is my daily driver it’s great still a pain in stop and go but other than that it’s fine.

Stop and go traffic, like driving through Manhattan, and the rest of the 5 boros, a manual does get tiring.

But, I still prefer a manual over an automatic.

Stick shifts for life for me. I’m 29 and will own one as long as it’s possible. More engaging more reliable more fun and more control.

I've always looked for a stick shift. And up until now I've been able to find one. But they're becoming rare, like spare tires and engine oil dip sticks.

I have driven quite a bit in stop and go traffic with a manual and I don't mind it. Being in better control of the car makes up for the small inconvenience. Being able to de-clutch the power train has saved my bacon on occasion. Having a manual is much better when you spin out on ice and end up going backwards!

I was seriously thinking of buying a Honda Accord Sport 2.0 6MT but they aren't making them for 2021 and the only 2020s available to me are black and white. And I don't want either colour. So it's back to the drawing board.

I prefer stick shifts but recently decided against one in the new car. I bought a 2020 Accord and went with ........ the CVT. Better performance, better MPG and last but not least, resale value. Selling a used car with a stick - good luck, no one wants 'em.

I used to love my manual, too. I miss it often. Unless I'm stuck in traffic. Then I don't miss the endless clutch, shift, clutch shift, clutch, shift, clutch, shift...
You just haven't had the right vehicles.
Some manuals are actually OK to drive in heavy traffic.
neither of our vehicles are auto (or CVT), and we're perfectly fine with this

Back