Favorite Tool Brand

I still like my older US made Craftsman wrenches, sockets, ratchets, etc... I have no desire to overpay for some name brands just to have some bragging rights.

L8R,
Matt

Older craftsman for me... I'm just a weekend wrencher, but they've gotten the job done at a reasonable price. I accumulated it all for the most part going on 20 years ago.

What is your favorite tool brand and why?

Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell, Eastwood, Craftsman, . . . ????
Depends what I'm working on..
Electrical, Klein or Greenlee
Plumbing, Douglas/Walrich pump pliers, channellock or crescent brand wrenches, ridgid brand cutters etc.
Automotive, kobalt.. or Snap on hand me downs from my father, channellock pvc/filter pliers

I have many different brands. Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Gearwrench, Channel Lock, Stanley, Vice Grips, and the one I use the most, Metrinch. I bought this set in the 90's after watching an infomercial about them. I use this set 98% of the time and am still on the original ratchet and most of the sockets. They have a lifetime warranty and I've used it a couple of times on sockets I've broken.

I have many different brands. Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Gearwrench, Channel Lock, Stanley, Vice Grips, and the one I use the most, Metrinch. I bought this set in the 90's after watching an infomercial about them. I use this set 98% of the time and am still on the original ratchet and most of the sockets. They have a lifetime warranty and I've used it a couple of times on sockets I've broken.
Who sold Metrinch? Never heard of that brand.

Who sold Metrinch? Never heard of that brand.
I think they were originally out of Germany. They have a USA distributor. I have both the 62 piece socket and wrench set as well as the 76 piece one. Basically one socket or wrench is used for the SAE and Metric equivalent so you don't have to have two sets of tools. The force is applied to the sides of the bolt head instead of the peaks of the bolt head. I think there are some other similar concept socket sets out there now that work the same way. Back in the 90's, this was the only one that I had seen.

The only real negative for these are in real tight quarters where you don't have much room to move the ratchet since the way the socket fits on the bolt head is not as tight as the regular size sockets.

They may not be “favorites”, but they’re what I have: Williams, Husky and Craftsman (ratchet only), some Pittsburgh Pro from my cheaper days, and Teng. The latter ones I like because the sockets are a matte finish that is easier to handle when oily or greasy. I like their fiber ratchets too. I only know about them from when I saw “Wheeler Dealers” and Edd China used them, probably to promote the brand.

I also have a newly acquired 18” long flex ratchet in 3/8” drive from the local Menards. Seems sturdy and I like the comfort grip.

I have a hodgepodge of others, like Knipex, Irwin, Milwaukee screw drivers, etc., that are a long list. 😁

Pittsburg :LOL:
No serious, I do buy a few things I have good luck with.
Breaker bar, ect
Nothing wrong with Pittsburgh I have their chrome and impact sockets and a lot of other things from them including their breaker bars as well. And a hydraulic press and several floor jacks. The only thing I have ever broke from them is their orange and black handled screwdrivers. Their Earthquake branded impacts are also great.

Somewhere in the middle of those two. The SK Superchrome finish was at one time possibly the nicest finish on a tool you could buy, today it seems to be nothing more than advertising.
The steel used is good tool steel, the designs a little dated and the QC is all over the place as is their customer service. IMO Snap on, Williams, Wright, Proto are very high quality US made tools with much more consistent quality.

As far as the Taiwan brands, Tekton, Capri, Sunex, King Tony, Genius, Teng, Carlyle and a few others are very decent. Motive X Tools is now selling renamed Triangle tools, these were excellent. I bought a couple of Carlyle flex head ratchets and must say they are moving out of the pack and moving towards being a higher level tool.

Euro brands and Japanese tools are a whole different story.

Somewhere in the middle of those two. The SK Superchrome finish was at one time possibly the nicest finish on a tool you could buy, today it seems to be nothing more than advertising.
The steel used is good tool steel, the designs a little dated and the QC is all over the place as is their customer service. IMO Snap on, Williams, Wright, Proto are very high quality US made tools with much more consistent quality.

As far as the Taiwan brands, Tekton, Capri, Sunex, King Tony, Genius, Teng, Carlyle and a few others are very decent. Motive X Tools is now selling renamed Triangle tools, these were excellent. I bought a couple of Carlyle flex head ratchets and must say they are moving out of the pack and moving towards being a higher level tool.

Trav, I'm going to get some of the carlyle stubby flexhead ratchets during the Dec sale.

Do you prefer locking or non locking flex heads ?

Trav, thank you for your explanation!

I have a basic Craftsman tool set that I bought about 10 years ago but it's not the best set so I need to invest in some good tools.

I am on the fence with which brand I should go with. Originally thought HF Icon because they seemed like decent tools and I like that fact that I could get them at a store vs ordering online but with what I have been reading they are nothing special and overpriced. I would like to invest in tools with a company that will mostly likely be around more than a few years so I think I narrowed it down to Tekton, Motive X or Pittsburgh Pro.

Tekton - Seems like a pretty solid company with good customer service and great warranty. Not sure how long long they will be around but seems like they are doing well.

Motive X - I have their Toyota oil wrench and really like it but they are fairly new and I don't have much experience with their hand tools. How is their customer service / warranty?

Pittsburgh Pro - I don't any of their tools but seem to be decent.

Back