Favorite Tool Brand

SK

Older Craftsman stuff

And this is coming from someone who occasionally uses the "hammer side" of most tools.

Unless depending on them for a career (and using the warranty), I think Snap-on is overpriced.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Mastercraft at Canadian Tire. Have never busted one. Regularly on sale. What's not to like.
smile.gif

I have broke a few Canadian Tire wrenches. Broke the ear off a flat wrench doubling up, & using a cheater wrench for extra torque, & had the gears slip on a 1/2 inch ratchet. & cracked a socket or 2

They will replace them, but sometimes the style and size has changed, & ratchet won't fit in the original case, or socket is a little different size.

I still like their brand, & can get great sale prices when 60 or 75% off at times.

Jet, & ITC are other good brand names.

Last edited:
I don't have one favorite brand, but certain brands tend to do specific things really well:

Phillips screwdrivers & bits: Felo
Torx and Hex drivers & bits: Wera & Wiha
Sockets: Wright & Hazet
Ratchets: Snap-on & Gearwrench
Pliers: Knipex & Channellock
Wrenches: Too many good ones to list
Honorable mention for all categories: Tekton & Carlyle

If you were to judge off what's in my box, mostly, Kobalt.

I do have a very nice Triangle socket set per a recommendation here.

I've mostly only had craftsman all my life, last tools I bought was a Craftsman set 35 years ago. Only ever had just the basic hand tools. About 3 years ago I sold all my stuff, expecting a major life change . . . life changed, but didn't happen as expected, now I need tools again. A few months back I bought a set of Craftsman wrenches and a socket set from Auto Zone to get me by. Will be buying a tool cabinet and increasing tool inventory as time goes on.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Older craftsman, wright tool wrenches, snap on flare nut wrenches.I have usa made craftsman screwdrivers, not sure what i would replace those with, definitely not current craftsman.

Yes , Older craftsman .

Chrome sockets: Hazet. No one comes close.
Chrome extensions: Ko-ken.
Impact sockets: Too many to list, but Proto and Wright are top of the line.
Impact extensions: Same
Combo Wrenches: Stahlwille, Snap-on, Hazet, Proto
Ratcheting Wrenches: Snap-on and Texas Made Proto.
Hex Keys: PB Swiss
Flare Wrenches: Snap-on. They are Better than [insert your brand here]
Screwdrivers: Proto Duratek, Snap-on, Witte, Wiha
Drill bits: Chigaco-Latrobe, Cle-Line, Cleveland, Champion, and all USA made ones.
Countersinks: MA Ford, Keo, Cleveland
Ratchets: Snap-on Dual 80, Stahlwille 80, Proto 24 Tooth
Hammers: Vaughan

All good stuff.

Last edited:
I have many brands, from numerous countries. Most numerous are my collection of early-70s Craftsman tools my father gave me.
Pretty much all of them are fine except one set of Indian combination wrenches. They're styled similar to my much better, older "Gedore" brand Indian open-end wrenches, which I really like. The Gedores have a proper I-beam cross-section shape, which provides the best strength-to-weight ratio (other things being equal). The same is true of my one "Stahlwille Motor 10" German open-end.

Last edited:
I forget the brand name, but I have a set of 1/2 inch drive impact sockets I bought in 1974, which I use daily to this day. They were bought at Kitts surplus, probably made in USA. Nothing can kill these sockets.

At one time Snap-On was my favourite, obsession even, but due to their prices here in the UK I was compelled to try other brands. Now, I buy on merit and value for money.
My tool inventory now includes items from most of the quality brands, so Facom, Stahlwille, Williams, SK, Geodore, Wera, Hazet, Knipex, etc, etc.
However, 2 brands which I most frequently go to now are Bahco and Milwaukee. Bahco is virtually unbeatable for quality versus price and when Milwaukee recently introduced wrenchs etc to their range I was eager to try them out. Their wrenches are really good, especially for the price.
The brands I'm most disappointed with and no longer buy from are Teng and Mac, the only 2 brands I've ever used that broke during normal use.
I still occasionally buy Snap-On but only if I can't find an item that no other brand has. Their prices in the UK are just ridiculous.

Originally Posted by evoboy
At one time Snap-On was my favourite, obsession even, but due to their prices here in the UK I was compelled to try other brands. Now, I buy on merit and value for money.
My tool inventory now includes items from most of the quality brands, so Facom, Stahlwille, Williams, SK, Geodore, Wera, Hazet, Knipex, etc, etc.
However, 2 brands which I most frequently go to now are Bahco and Milwaukee. Bahco is virtually unbeatable for quality versus price and when Milwaukee recently introduced wrenchs etc to their range I was eager to try them out. Their wrenches are really good, especially for the price.
The brands I'm most disappointed with and no longer buy from are Teng and Mac, the only 2 brands I've ever used that broke during normal use.
I still occasionally buy Snap-On but only if I can't find an item that no other brand has. Their prices in the UK are just ridiculous.

Their prices are ridiculous in the US, too! I have a few snap on tools and they are very good, but not good enough to justify the cost for us non-pros.

I'm just a DIY'er so take what i say with a grain of salt.

My immediate list:

SK ratchets and sockets are great. Haven't had any experience with their combination wrenches, but their brake like wrenches are terrible. Should've bought SO.

Armstrong and ~10 year old Crafmsman sockets.

GW ratchets are nice. I have a few 120XP's. My long handed swivel head 3/8 gets used almost daily.

My ~10 year old US Craftsman combination wrenches have held up well as well as the red and black handled professional screw drivers.

Channellock US made pliers and wire cutters

PB Swiss Torx screwdrivers. A must for any European car owner.

Trusty Cook dead blow hammers.

HF Chrome Moly impact sockets and an Aircat 1150 impact.

This is sad, but my most favorite HF buy aside from their car jacks is their $2 orange handled pick sets. Very good to have around. The HF breaker bar is also a good buy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
HF Chrome Moly impact sockets and an Aircat 1150 impact.

This is sad, but my most favorite HF buy aside from their car jacks is their $2 orange handled pick sets. Very good to have around. The HF breaker bar is also a good buy.

I agree with all of your tool favorites. I have these tools as well, but I forgot to mention them. I keep one of their 25" breaker bars, a short extension, and the socket to fit the lug nuts in each of my three vehicles. It makes changing a flat a lot easier.

I keep one of their 25" breaker bars, a short extension, and the socket to fit the lug nuts in each of my three vehicles. It makes changing a flat a lot easier.

I do the exact same thing.

For sockets, ratchets, and extensions, I like and use the old New Britain stuff, which they sold under several labels -- their own name, Husky, Blackhawk, PENNCRAFT, and Sparta. In addition, I have and use old US-made Craftsman from my dad, with an occasional Snap On, Bonnet, Proto, Plomb, and Thorsen in the mix.

I use BONDHUS for Torx and hex, and I like the Tekton and GearWrench ratcheting wrenches.

Of course, I have quite a bit of HF stuff.

I inherited various older Snap On and SK tools, bought a set of Craftsman in the 90s, and added HF and various other brands since. At first I didn't really like the Snap On 1/2" ratchet but it has become a favorite after disassembly and lube. SK is always solid, and Craftsman is no slouch, especially if you disassemble and lube any moving parts. HF is hit or miss overall but their ratchets and sockets have performed pretty well. Their Pittsburgh combination wrenches have been okay but not as good as Craftsman. However I place Pittsburgh way above Husky adjustable and combination wrenches. These Husky units suck more than all that has ever sucked before!

Just today I replaced a rear wheel hub on my Cadillac CTS. What should have been a 2 hr job became a 6 hr job because the GD Husky 18mm combo wrench was not strong enough to grab the front-most bolt. Instead, the open end developed notches, and the box end had too much bevel along the edge of the "teeth" to hold the bolt. After rounding the bolt head more than I wanted, I finally gave up and borrowed one from my neighbor...would you know it, it was also a Husky but of older vintage. This POS was marginally better for a short while but it soon rounded too, and I finally gave up and went to Lowes (closest tool store) to see what I could find that may work better. The Kobalt had a strong bevel and felt weak so I decided to try the newer Craftsman offering with a lesser bevel and beefier handle. After all, I could always return it if it didn't work. This unit performed remarkably well, and did not slip even once on the now partially rounded bolt head! And no signs of notches or other wear that would compromise it's function in the future. Now, I realize many in this thread have thrown shade toward the new Craftsman tools, but I'm impressed (so far)! End rant.

Overall my pick would be Snap On, SK, or equivalent spendy tools if I am not paying for them, but as a DIY guy I am more inclined to favor Craftsman if I am paying for them. HF for some stuff, especially if I don't use it often.

Last edited:
Back