Favorite Tool Brand

This and the 1/4 and 1/2 are good quality, they were once sold by Sears under the Triangle brand and quality for the money wise they punch way above their weight.

The regular non flex Pittsburg ratchets are decent but their flex heads suck terrible, they are non locking and going by what users say they start flopping around after a few uses and it is almost impossible to tighten them.
The Tekton ratchets are nothing special, the sockets and extensions are okay. I would wait till the Carlyle flex heads are on sale at Napa, those are very decent.

Trav, I'm going to get some of the carlyle stubby flexhead ratchets during the Dec sale.

Do you prefer locking or non locking flex heads ?

Locking unless it is a long Snap on that stays tight, the Williams stays tight also. Most of the others are like wrenching with a wet mop, flopping all over the place.

Trav, thank you for your explanation!

I have a basic Craftsman tool set that I bought about 10 years ago but it's not the best set so I need to invest in some good tools.

I am on the fence with which brand I should go with. Originally thought HF Icon because they seemed like decent tools and I like that fact that I could get them at a store vs ordering online but with what I have been reading they are nothing special and overpriced. I would like to invest in tools with a company that will mostly likely be around more than a few years so I think I narrowed it down to Tekton, Motive X or Pittsburgh Pro.

Tekton - Seems like a pretty solid company with good customer service and great warranty. Not sure how long long they will be around but seems like they are doing well.

Motive X - I have their Toyota oil wrench and really like it but they are fairly new and I don't have much experience with their hand tools. How is their customer service / warranty?

Pittsburgh Pro - I don't any of their tools but seem to be decent.
Tekton are fine tools and high quality as well. They have a very easy warranty too all you do is send them a picture and a new tool will be in the mail by the next business day. The Pittsburgh Pro are good as well I have their chrome and impact sockets for use at work and home they work great. Also like SK nicely as well and also Duralast from Auto Zone is another of my favorite brands. Any of the brands Trav mentioned are good as well. I have never heard of the Motive X my Toyota oil filter wrench is a Cal-Van USA made from Ace Hardware. Don’t waste money on the Icon in my opinion nothing special. May want to look into Proto they are good and not too much money and Blackhawk which is actually being phased out but still USA made and good quality and you will get a Proto replacement if one breaks now both USA made.
Also Kobalt is really nice especially for sockets they are great Taiwan made. Stay away from Husky though. And the new Gearwrench is also China made for everything I took in a Taiwan socket to Advance Auto and they gave me a Chinese replacement I wasn’t too happy.

Last edited:
Overall I would take snap on. Most things you get from them will be very good. Many are the best or on par with the best. Much of their hard line tools with their name on them are made by them in the USA too. They do own other euro brands and some can be from

Mac came out with some pretty nice things like the RBRT line of sockets, bits and bit sockets.

Cornwell is kind of the blue Mac of tools just less dealers there

matco they make some tools boxes and some carts. Everything else is lisle kd calvan ez red astro etc. just relabeled stuff doesn’t make it bad and they do get some exclusive (for a time period) tools just mostly higher priced for online available tools

truck tools you are buying the payment option, the to your door service and the warranty. Snap-on has the most R&D because they actually make their own stuff

For a while I could get Snap-On tools used at my local flea market. I also really like the Snap-On 80 series ratchets. Must-haves are the 3/8" long handle with the swivel, comfort grip because of arthritis.

I’ll add another one to my list and that’s Popular Mechanics brand from Walmart way back in the day when they had them before I was even born actually. All Taiwan and USA made great tools and hold up nicely as well. So I’ll add that with Craftsman USA and SK. I managed to get a complete set from the pawn shop just a few days ago from 11-20mm 12 point 3/8 drive still looking for the 10mm lol.

When I was a mechanic most of my tools were SK. I kept some but sold a lot when I got out of the trades. Older USA Craftsman were great. I really liked KD Tools before they become Gearwrench. When I buy new tools now it is usually Tekton. I do have a limited set of Milwaukee deep well sockets that came with a battery tool. I like the flat sides on those, but couldn't fathom ponying up the money to buy anymore.

When I was a mechanic most of my tools were SK. I kept some but sold a lot when I got out of the trades. Older USA Craftsman were great. I really liked KD Tools before they become Gearwrench. When I buy new tools now it is usually Tekton. I do have a limited set of Milwaukee deep well sockets that came with a battery tool. I like the flat sides on those, but couldn't fathom ponying up the money to buy anymore.
I had no idea KD become Gearwrench no wonder I can’t find that brand anymore I’ve got some old KD and they are great.

Yeah ATG consolidated some of the brands. Gearwrench was originally just the ratcheting box wrenches, but they phased out the KD brand and put everything under Gearwrench. They are trying to do the same with Lufkin and Crescent. A few years ago they got rid of the Allen and Armstrong names, but occasionally Allen comes back under Crescent.

Yeah ATG consolidated some of the brands. Gearwrench was originally just the ratcheting box wrenches, but they phased out the KD brand and put everything under Gearwrench. They are trying to do the same with Lufkin and Crescent. A few years ago they got rid of the Allen and Armstrong names, but occasionally Allen comes back under Crescent.
I knew about the Allen ones that makes me angry in a way so many good brands gone KD is a great brand I’ve got some of their oil filter removal tools and sockets they are decent USA tools.

I like my Snapon. The other common brands didn't last. Yeah they are a bit on the over priced side but having the dealer come to your work place was worth the convience. Using tools all day you can really feel the differences in the tools.

I will not buy SnapOn unless I get them cheap. Great tools but too much money for me. Most reasonable men understand that when a tool becomes available for a good price you buy it. I use all brands all ages, a functional tool is going to get used regardless of brand, and the good ones will make themselves known by repeated use. Best deal is always that Man-garage sale that comes available once in a blue moon.

To answer the question fairly you really need to specify whether you're making a living out of your toolbox or a weekend warrior. When I was a diesel mechanic, SnapOn ratchets exclusively. Chrome sockets, screwdrivers, extensions are mostly old Craftsman and worked well for over thirty years. Only genuine Rigid pipe wrenches, Vise Grips, Channellocks. Impact sockets are a mix of SnapOn, Caterpillar (probably rebranded SK but they work). Air tools are all CP. I do have one set of open end wrenches that are HF quality but I bought them to cut in half so I could use them in tight spaces.

OTOH, if you use tools only on weekends buy whatever is available and inexpensive. Lowes and HD are generally a notch above HF.

Back