Favorite hot sauce???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mellowed out with age. My favorite, and in fact the only one I use regularly, is Tabasco Green.

One that I used to use and was excellent, albeit extremely hot, was Mezitta (sp?) California Habanero Hot Sauce, Twist and Shout.

For a while I was into buying lots of different hot sauces. I like hot, spicy food.
But the hot sauce market has become a joke in a way. As popularity grew, new hot sauces continued to appear, each trying to out do the other with ever more attention getting names and outlandish claims of heat. It's all good fun though, I guess.
In reality, most of them are not very good. Just hot, in varying degrees, but not really very tasty. It's probably not very difficult to make a really "hot" sauce, but to make one with a good balance between heat and flavor is probably more challenging and also more expensive.
I agree with Pablo that the Yucatan Sunshine Habanero Pepper Sauce is pretty good.

I use Tiger Sauce. Good stuff with lots of flavor. Also Hawaiian chili peppers doesn't have the heat like the habanero
peppers, just the right heat. web page

Originally Posted By: stringsattached
I've had a bottle of "Dave's Insanity" in my fridge now for a few years, and while it's too hot [for me] to use on regular stuff, I find that it's great for cooking. Made a big pot of soup last night, and put about 1/16th tsp. of it in there, gave it a nice slow burn without making the whole thing taste like hot sauce or chilies.
That stuff is pretty potent indeed. Keeps the critters away from your pumpkins too! Has anyone tried any of their other sauces? A few of them look interesting.

texas pete,crystal,franks red hot for everyday use.
valentina for the tex-mex foods.
sriracha or chili garlic paste for oriental.
tabasco green for special items.esp fried fatback/salt pork.deep fried death,but so tasty.

Last edited:
There is an entire shelf in the door of my refrigerator devoted to hot sauce. They all have their place. Some are better for cooking, some for fried chicken, some for fish, some for gumbo, some for mexican dishes. There's even one I prefer on smoked oysters. Tabasco is probably the most versatile, but my favorite is one discovered by my grandfather: Panola.* I think it pairs best with fried catfish or seafood gumbo. It strikes the balance between vinegar and pepper just right. I don't really go for the boutique hot sauces that have outlandish names. They generally aren't terribly good and the ones that claim to be strong are just overpowering for the sake of it.

*-this reminds me of a conversation I had with him the other day. We were talking about hot sauces and he made the observation that Tabasco is really more of a main ingredient than a sauce because it's flavor is so distinct. You can use other hot sauces and they impart some flavor and heat, but you can't spot them in a dish in the same way you can with Tabasco. This is why I don't use a whole lot of the regular tabasco in cooking.

Overall I like Tiger sauce as an add on. Gives good spice and if I want heat I'll just use fresh chili peppers mostly Thai.

Also I mix chili peppers with sugar cane vinegar with a pinch of sea salt.

I don't know if it's really my favorite, but I usually get Texas Pete. It's a good all around hot sauce that makes nearly anything better.

I like that one too...

B0009S1NXG.01-ATTTB1C3WTZH0._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I like that one too...

B0009S1NXG.01-ATTTB1C3WTZH0._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I think my wife uses this one.. she puts more peppers in it though. You have to be very cautious what you eat in my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back