Favorite Air Tool Oil?

ATF. I have a CP 834 (no, not a 734) that I bought in 1973. It was the cheaper version of the 734 and I have no idea how many diesel engines I tore down with it. When I hit something tight-tight I gave it a drink and the ATF came out brown. I wiped it off and kept going.
48 years later, it still works and the only repair I did was replacing the nose ring that retains the socket.

Currently Campbell Hausfeld air tool oil. Not really a favorite, just what I have on hand currently. When I don't have dedicated air tool oil, I use ATF.

ATF. I have a CP 834 (no, not a 734) that I bought in 1973. It was the cheaper version of the 734 and I have no idea how many diesel engines I tore down with it. When I hit something tight-tight I gave it a drink and the ATF came out brown. I wiped it off and kept going.
48 years later, it still works and the only repair I did was replacing the nose ring that retains the socket.
Those were some of the best impacts ever built IMO. Won’t get much more reliable than an old school Pacesetter.

No, ATF is made of the same or very similar base stocks as a light engine oil so it is a good lubricant. The additive packs are quite different, and solvents are not typically included.

I've used engine oil and ATF in a pinch before on a job site for nail guns, air hammers, etc. and anecdotally it was my feeling that they didn't work as well or as long as regular air tool oil.

The main problem I see with using motor or ATF oil is they have additives that might affect the tool... swell or degrade o-rings, seals, and the like. Since compressed air is wet, tool oil also should ideally control acid formation, but I have no idea if they do that or not.

I only use my air tools a few times a year. I've just added a couple of quirts of WD-40 when I remember and work it through. Been doing that for 20 years, seems to work just fine.

Back