Favorite Air Tool Oil?

Just curious what you guys use and how often? I use Mobil Almo 525 and have for several years. I keep it in an old school Goldenrod 505 oil can on my tool and oil the tools every time they go back in.

Side note, these oil cans always had a reputation for leaking and nothing has changed. This one is 3-4 years old and has leaked since new. I keep it on a pig mat to control the seepage on my toolbox. They’re also dangerous, I jump anyone’s a$$ if I find it on the floor. Had a good friend loose a family member due to tripping and falling on one. Stabbed him in the eye deep enough to kill him. One of the many things we take for granted in the shop that can get you hurt in the wrong situation.

I use Marvel Air Tool Oil THIS. I have a quart of it. I put in 3 to 4 drops before I use the tool, and 3 to 4 drops after I'm done with it. With the hose disconnected I trigger the tool and add the oil to air hose connection, then connect the hose and use the tool.

Made in USA and $5 for 16oz its works for me too. I use an automatic oiler, regulator and filter setup to feed the air tools a few drops of lube constantly, keeping the tool lubed is much more important than the brand IMO
Air for painting, tires, blow gun, etc are on a different line with separate filters. I use different hoses for both, simple but effective.

Reactions: JC1
Made in USA and $5 for 16oz its works for me too. I use an automatic oiler, regulator and filter setup to feed the air tools a few drops of lube constantly, keeping the tool lubed is much more important than the brand IMO
Air for painting, tires, blow gun, etc are on a different line with separate filters. I use different hoses for both, simple but effective.
I have an automatic oiler and different hoses for air tools and plain air for filling tires or just blowing dust.

This is what I use in industrial maintenance and it works very well. I have never had an issue in anything; tools or machinery.
1601557746398.png

Since we are on the topic of air tool oil, do you guys periodically oil tools that are not frequently used and run them briefly every few months? Once and a while I do that when I'm using the air gun on the compressor. I have an air hammer and ratchet that I may use once every 2-4 years.

Marvel air tool oil, some stuff that came in the Amazon box free with my dewalt 3/8 pneumatic impact(which was WAY better quality of an air tool than I expected it to be) and as a tech I was terrible about using 5w20 out of the bulk tank to lube air tools as well.

I would add a drop before the first use of the day.

Last edited:
I use Marvel Air Tool oil when I can find it it’s only available at Advance Auto in my area. Then the rest of the time I use the air tool oil from Harbor Freight it’s USA made and a good price.

My friend uses Amsoil. I've always used whatever air tool oil I could get my hands on, which is currently a large bottle of Carlyle from Napa.

Since we are on the topic of air tool oil, do you guys periodically oil tools that are not frequently used and run them briefly every few months? Once and a while I do that when I'm using the air gun on the compressor. I have an air hammer and ratchet that I may use once every 2-4 years.

That’s a good question. I also have an air hammer that is used infrequently. Thoughts, anyone?

Yeah I oil them once a week if not being used. My air hammer doesn’t get used that much so I just oil once a week it gets used sometimes just depends what I need it for but it would never sit for 2-3 years or anything like that.

Years ago I used motor oil, I had a smaller 10 gallon compressor back then, too. For an air ratchet and air hammer it didn't matter. When I moved up to a real IR impact wrench I had serious power problems, it couldn't even remove most car lugnuts on high. I called Ingersol Rand and a helpful guy called me back and ran through a bunch of things to check.

One thing he said was that while motor oil worked, I was robbing myself of some air tool power. Air tool oil should be water-thin. I switched to some purpose-made oil (like Trav said, it really doesn't matter the brand) over-oiled the impact to thin and blow out the motor oil. That one change was enough to get it over the threshold and make it useful.

I did the rest of his suggestions, and found that my quick disconnects were all constrictive, and one in particular (the most-used one on the end of my most-used hose) was a real killer. I had just bought it at Lowe's. I junked them all and want to GuardAir High Flow's. Overkill, Milton V would have been fine, but I felt burned and went for the biggest and best. Then I got a 60gallon high-flow compressor and the rest is history.

Back