Favorite 30-06 starting loads ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the recommended loads that are suggested for the M1 Garand rifle. Easy to shoot

Originally Posted By: Killer223
150 vs 165, would depend on what i'm shooting at.?

How far too. The 168 BT had been favorite for long range target in 30 cal.
Don't need a 220 grain bull dozer for most north american game.

I use this load for my M1D:

168 gr. Nosler CC match bullets
HXP military brass
CCI#34 primers
45.6 gr. IMR4895
Cases trimmed to 4.49"
Bullets seated for an OAL = 3.315"

I also use the same load in my 1903A3, but only for convenience. I haven't really worked up a better load for the 1903A3, but I would probably be closer to 47 gr. of IMR4895 for that rifle and would use Winchester primers.

IMG_0430_zps0882288a.jpg

Last edited:
HXP military brass
CCI#34 primers
45.6 gr. IMR4895
Cases trimmed to 2.49"

CORRECTION on the case length! Typos are a good reason to have a couple of different sources for load data!

Last edited:
This is a good thread, and the .30-06 is a good caliber. I've got 4 rifles chambered for it, and I do handload. A few years back when the CMP was practically giving away that Greek .30-06 Garand ammo, I bought 3, 480 round cases of the stuff. I think I paid $381.00 delivered Fed Ex to my door. Not bad for almost 1.5K of .30-06. I can't buy the brass that cheap. The stuff is accurate as well. It's going to take me a while to go throught it. But when I do I'll have plenty of brass for reloading.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
IMR-4350 is a classic powder for this round. Hodgdon has plenty of data on their website.
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Semi auto or bolt action? What rifle and what type of shooting?

With this question the platform as asked above is nearly as important to know as the caliber and reloading data

I worked up some loads for my bolt Ruger M77 Mk2 hunting rifle with Nosler 168 BT and IMR4350. I had previously shot some factory 168's and 180's and liked the 168's better. I settled on 54.5g with Win LRP for my rifle and get sub MOA at 100 yds.... Took 2 whitetail last year and 3 this season and they all dropped like a ton of bricks when I shoot through heart and both lungs with them.

With a gas rifle like an M1 this load may not cycle, or may cause FtF or Fte's as it's tuned to a bolt gun. IMR 4895 is a better choice for a gas gun like a M1.

OK, since you'all asked - Pop has an M1 and I have some old bubba mil-surp bolt guns. So was thinking about the bolt guns more, but have to consider the M1 ...

Was hoping to find maybe two loads I could concentrate on. One for the bolt rifles and one for the M1. I have some 4064 on hand. I can get other powder of course, but was thinking of starting with what I have.

Pop's getting up there, so would be nice to not punish his shoulder, hence asking about starting loads. Mostly plinking. He's not going to hunt again unless it's from the front seat of a CJ5. Was thinking not squib loads, but easy going ones. I know the M1 will want what it wants - understood. But the bolt rifles can shoot whatever will come out of the barrel. Of course it would be nice to hit the pop can at 50 and 100 yds
laugh.gif

4064 should be OK to use in the M1, and of course the bolt guns. I don't use it so I can't provide any personal experience, but there is plenty to read about this powder being used for the M1 Garand.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
I use this load for my M1D:

HXP military brass
CCI#34 primers
45.6 gr. IMR4895
Cases trimmed to 4.49"

I also use the same load in my 1903A3, but only for convenience. I haven't really worked up a better load for the 1903A3, but I would probably be closer to 47 gr. of IMR4895 for that rifle and would use Winchester primers.

IMG_0430_zps0882288a.jpg

NICE !!!

If you want a plinker load for the bolt '06s, check out Hodgdon H4895. It is recommended for bullets from 110 to 208 gr. The reason I recommend it to you is that per Hodgdon, it can be safely reduced to 60% of the full power load. There is a pdf on their site which gives the formula in full.

Well now, it seems that 4895 and 4350 don't meter all that well through my old Lyman 55. So I'll now be adding the question - starting loads with either short kernel stick like 4064 or some for a slow ball powder? Any takers under these conditions?

Depending what FPS you want to end up with there are Garand loads for Winchester 748.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back