FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sirs/Madams,

As times have toughen up on my pockets, I realized I can cut losses by doing things on my own. What better way to start shaving dollars off than changing my own oil? =) I've been reading on the right kind of oil while easily distracted by all these abbreviations. Bottom line though is that I found out that my car which is a 2000 BMW 528it wagon would sit well with Castrol Syntec 0W-30 THE EURO FORMULA! I know this thread is a bit old. But anyone here know where I can find it in the southern california specifically in orange county or riverside county? This novice needs help. Thanks in advance!

You should consult with the Tech Advisor for the BMW Car Club before you put a 0-30W in your vehicle. Your signature indicates southern California---perhaps a bit warm for that weight. Try the BMWCCA web site and ask there.

Originally Posted By: mousemaster
You should consult with the Tech Advisor for the BMW Car Club before you put a 0-30W in your vehicle. Your signature indicates southern California---perhaps a bit warm for that weight. Try the BMWCCA web site and ask there.

The factory weight oil for a 2000 BMW 528 is a 5w-30 synthetic oil. GC 0w-30 is fine...it is borderline a 40 weight oil if you read the specs.

This may border on minutiae, but I had to find out the size of the neato "nut caps" on these bottles...

40mm. But a 1 5/8" wrench fits nicely.
LOL.gif

castrolnut.jpg

- Scott

Originally Posted By: Towel_Rail
This may border on minutiae, but I had to find out the size of the neato "nut caps" on these bottles...

40mm. But a 1 5/8" wrench fits nicely.
LOL.gif

castrolnut.jpg

- Scott

Never seen this done before! But I have to admit I've been tempted when I see these bottles and know there is a tool isle nearby!
LOL.gif

I read in an earlier post that 0W-30 and 5W-30 synthetic motor oils can be PAO Group IV, but thicker viscosities have to be Group III. Of course, this isn't true. Maybe it should have stated "in most cases."

Last but not least, I spend most of my time at car forums because of ongoing projects I have. You should see the confusion at the Volkswagen forums with the people driving the newer water cooled Volkswagens still under warranty. There are a lot of complaints about using the wrong oil in their engines and either having engine damage or warranty compliance issues causing them to pay out of pocket for engine repairs. Some of them blame the confusion over which synthetic is VW 505.01 compliant and which isn't. Clearly it is their responsibility to read and understand the small section in their owner's manual and seek out the right oil. But many only remember the word "synthetic" and miss the fact that not all "synthetics" are certified for VW 505.01. What's more, I was talking to some certified VW mechanics about this issue and guess what? They also were confused about this. You'd think VW would see to it their mechanics at least knew the difference wouldn't you?

Well, I've still got about 100 qts of Green GC, and I still love the stuff, but dang, it sure is taking a long time to go away...

I've never tried that wrench trick, but hey, it looks so manly that I think I'll go out and buy this wrench just so that I can open all the remaining quarts in this fashion!
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Towel_Rail
LOL, I bought that wrench to adjust the steering-box locknut on old Volkswagens. I love it.
cool.gif

I thought that size looked familiar. I tinker with vintage VWs. I hadn't thought about the fact that it's quite a bit bigger than the rear axle nuts.

Quote:

Clearly it is their responsibility to read and understand the small section in their owner's manual and seek out the right oil. But many only remember the word "synthetic" and miss the fact that not all "synthetics" are certified for VW 505.01. What's more, I was talking to some certified VW mechanics about this issue and guess what? They also were confused about this. You'd think VW would see to it their mechanics at least knew the difference wouldn't you?

What makes it even more difficult is that several dirt-bag oil companies use wording that makes it sound like they meet 505.01 when they don't have VW's approval so by definition they don't meet 505.01.

For an FAQ thread, it could shure use some editing. Just facts, in a factual manner would be better.

Anyway, GC carries the VW 503.01 Long-Life spec, exceeding the requirements of the VW 502 spec people are scampering for.
Mobil 1 0w-40 is one of the few other oils which pass this test.

What makes GC preferable over Mobil 1 is that GC starts with a lighter formulation, which creates less drag on the engine, but GC retains the same HT/HS 3.5cP @+150c rating as the thicker M1 0w-40. Another issue with the M1 0w-40 is that it thins into the 30 range, below the GCs starting visc. GC tends to retain visc really well.

GC is the only Porsche-Approved 30 weight oil.

GC was used as Factory-Fill in Audis and most VWs for a good perios fo time, 2001 onward.

engineoil.jpg

Chillin' out before an oil change w/GC...
seanconnery2sig.jpg

AutoUnion,
The FAQ definitely needs updating.

Excuses for not updating:
1. I've been lazy and/or busy - take your pick.
2. The forum went through a UBBCode change a while ago which destroyed the formatting I had. Basically, old posts retained the old format and new posts conformed to the latest format. Now that the forum changed again, I can actually update again! (But refer back to the above...)
3. Only admins can edit posts without a time limit. Just an extra obstacle whenever I want to update.

Enough excuses from me! I do appreciate your input and agree with making it more factual.
If anyone is interested in updating the FAQ, I don't mind passing it along. Just shoot me a PM.

What's the consensus on M07xxx German Castrol? Haven't seen anything posted about it. Any significant differences?

BTW, the picture of the dude in the boots is kinda disturbing.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Anybody out there using GC in a 4.2 ltr GM inline six? I have this engine in an Envoy. I'm in upstate NY. I see the chills of winter, and pull a 3000 boat in the summer. I would like to try GC in this engine as a year-round choice. I may have to settle for PP as this baby holds 7 quarts.

Hi,
Auto-Union - You said "GC is the only Porsche-Approved 30 weight oil"

This is not so! Porsche has not Approved or Listed a SAE30 lubricant for almost a decade. The ONLY exception is the V6 (VW engine) Cayenne

It is true that early Porsche cars (356,912,911) were factory filled with a SAE30 lubricant - this was Shell's Rimula HD(EO)

The early (1996) and original version of GC (SLX 0w-30) was Porsche Approved but not for long and was eventually withdrawn from sale after a number of formulation changes and some "technical problems"

For Porsche readers - do NOT use an SAE30 oil in your vehicle!

Regards

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Auto-Union - You said "GC is the only Porsche-Approved 30 weight oil"

This is not so! Porsche has not Approved or Listed a SAE30 lubricant for almost a decade. The ONLY exception is the V6 (VW engine) Cayenne

It is true that early Porsche cars (356,912,911) were factory filled with a SAE30 lubricant - this was Shell's Rimula HD(EO)

The early (1996) and original version of GC (SLX 0w-30) was Porsche Approved but not for long and was eventually withdrawn from sale after a number of formulation changes and some "technical problems"

For Porsche readers - do NOT use an SAE30 oil in your vehicle!

Regards

This got me digging and I found copies of two Porsche Approval lists. Doug's right - the November 2000 list shows Castrol SLX 0w-30 as approved (it shows TWS Motorsport 10w-60 too!), and the January 2005 list shows 0w- and 5w-40 oils only, with ONE exception - Mobil 1 5w-50. 0w-30 and 10w-60 are both gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back