FALKEN Wildpeak A/T Trail or General AltiMax RT43

Hello

I live in the San Francisco bay area and am looking for a new set of tires for my 2012 Toyota Sienna FWD Van.

The tire size 235/60R17

I often go to Lake Tahoe to ski in the winter so would like an All Weather tire that has very good snow performance like 3PMSF. The Wildpeak is a 3PMSF tire the RT43 isn't but it does have very good snow performance.

I've narrowed it down to the FALKEN Wildpeak A/T Trail and General AltiMax RT43

Looking for recommendations pros /vs cons for the above two tires.

Thanks!

why narrow it down to those? Why not consider an all-weather tire tons on the market now.

neither is going to have very good winter performance compared to a winter tire or an all-weather tire such as nokian wrg4... or make your van AWD.

The 2 choices listed might have good performance for all-seasons.

Hello

I live in the San Francisco bay area and am looking for a new set of tires for my 2012 Toyota Sienna FWD Van.

The tire size 235/60R17

I often go to Lake Tahoe to ski in the winter so would like an All Weather tire that has very good snow performance like 3PMSF. The Wildpeak is a 3PMSF tire the RT43 isn't but it does have very good snow performance.

I've narrowed it down to the FALKEN Wildpeak A/T Trail and General AltiMax RT43

Looking for recommendations pros /vs cons for the above two tires.

Thanks!
Michelin Crossclimate 2.

You going up I-80 or US 50 they are going to make you chain up regardless in inclement weather. I like the Altimax RT43 but as noted they are somewhat weak in winter performance compared to other all seasons.

You going up I-80 or US 50 they are going to make you chain up regardless in inclement weather. I like the Altimax RT43 but as noted they are somewhat weak in winter performance compared to other all seasons.
Pretty much that. R2 is going to make you 2WD vehicles chain up, even if you have 3PMS tires.

Off topic a bit, but it reminds of riding a dual sport scooter up and over the summit on I80 one summer years ago. The chains from winter travel had cut a deep wear pattern into the concrete. It made for a bit of a nervous ride. I imagine that it must need repaving on a more or less regular schedule? I Run the General RT43 tires on several vehicles and like them, but they are just OK in heavier snow.

between those 2 I'd choose the Falken Wildpeaks. They have a great reputation on some of the other forums I frequent.

Also, Check out the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s. Its got the 3PMS symbol, great ride, made in USA, and great warranty.

I have RT 43 on my Audi and in 3 years have never had any problems getting to where I've needed to go. Although its a Quattro I've still never felt the first bit of tire slip. Many times I've driven right through roads littered with cars and trucks abandoned all over the place.

why narrow it down to those? Why not consider an all-weather tire tons on the market now.

neither is going to have very good winter performance compared to a winter tire or an all-weather tire such as nokian wrg4... or make your van AWD.

The 2 choices listed might have good performance for all-seasons.
Thanks for the message. I also looked at the Cooper AT (forget its actual name) however it cost a good bit more, likewise the GOodyear WeatherReady. I am a huge fan of Coopers, I have them on two of my other vehicles.
Living in SF 99% of my driving is above 45F so a winter tire does not make sense.

So I sdecided to focus on a "All-Weather" tire or "4-season tire", and not to be confused with All Season tires.

Michelin Crossclimate 2.
thanks for the post, I always found Michelin tires to be a bit overpriced. That is why I am looking for something like a General, Falken or Cooper which I believe are a much better value while still getting very good performance.

between those 2 I'd choose the Falken Wildpeaks. They have a great reputation on some of the other forums I frequent.

@tiredguy
Not apples to apples, but I have been very happy with the Falken Wildpeak MTs that came from the factory on my Jeep. They are wearing really well and I do rotate and balance every 5K.

Thanks, yes I have thought about that.. I was going back a forth and yes even though I will still need chains for R2 I would like to get a 3PMSF rated tire (or similar).

Are there any other All Season 3PMSF tires you recommend?

Pretty much that. R2 is going to make you 2WD vehicles chain up, even if you have 3PMS tires.
thanks yes I thought a good bit about that... but was thinking I should still get 3PMSF for driving around Tahoe when there is snow but not at R2 levels.

Or should I forget teh 3PMSF rating?

Also, Check out the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s. Its got the 3PMS symbol, great ride, made in USA, and great warranty.
Thank You!

I have also had my eye on teh Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S however they are a good bit more $. Might see if they go on promotion / discount for Black Friday.

Loooking at the WIldcat it seems to have a real agressive AT tread pattern. Just wondering if this is too much considering most of my driving will be on streets and highways in the SF bay area. I know this statement goes against what I originally came here to ask.

The HT51 would be better IMO.

Less aggressive/more quiet than the Falkens but better snow and lifespan over the RT43s.
I got the HT51 and put it on one of my other vehicles a 2000 RX300. I put them on a spare set of steel wheels and onlt used them once back in March, They were on the vehicle for only 5 days as COVID hit and the ski resorts closed so they were removed and put in storage. The stock wheels have a Cooper CS5 tires that still had alot of tread left were put back on.

As for the HT51 when I first had them mounted they felt weird, can't pinpoint what it was. Then drove the next day to tahoe in a huge storm, Then COVID hit. I will be putting these back on the RX300 in a few months once the first snow storms hit at Lake Tahoe.

New ( fall of '19 ) UNIROYAL Tiger Paw Touring A/S ( H - rated ) . New design for tread pattern and plenty of deep sipes that go near the base of the tire . Tread depth is 11.5 . I did use RT43 for a winter . Did well , but prefer snow tires . Walmart has the Tighr Paw Touring A/S . Make sure it has A/S in title .

Last edited:
Back