Fake dual exhaust--does anyone know where that came from?

Downward facing exhaust behind fake exhaust outlet tips (usually plastic). GDi and soot is one reason for these.

Not sure who started the trend of fake exhaust outlets, but they don’t bother me really. Manufacturers have been doing crazy things with exhaust tips ever since people started complaining about DI engine exhaust soot. Most are done tastefully. The exhaust tips on the new Lincoln Aviator are quite awesome to look at. Many BMW, Mercedes, and Audi vehicles also do a nice job of designing exhaust tips so they don’t get carboned up.

The worst offender I’ve seen is the Kia K5. The fact they didn’t even try to hide the actual exhaust pipe is beyond hideous and low class.

191087FE-218C-4E8E-94E8-208E4EF97A69.png

My 92 Cutlass Supreme has a single pipe to the rear axle then splits to 2 mufflers and exits out each side. My 93 C1500 had a single pipe to the muffler then 2 pipes coming out of the muffler originally behind the passenger tire. Replaced the truck w a single 3" a few years ago, like it now better than the duals.

Late 80s early 90s Thunderbirds was one of the early obviously fake duals with the split to duals completely visible that I can remember
Interesting just thinking back to the T birds, I assumed they were real since they were made by Ford and had V8s....

Interesting just thinking back to the T birds, I assumed they were real since they were made by Ford and had V8s....
Well, depends on which body style of Thunderbird we are talking about. The fox based 'bird had the turbo (i4) version and the 302 (5.0L) V8, which had an h-pipe and true duals (unlike the F-body).

The later (MN12) 'bird had the V6, the supercharged V6 (Super Coupe), the 302 and then the 4.6L modular. The MN12 cars had a Y-pipe in the rear:
1665772277370.jpg

82-92 F-body had the single inlet muffler, sideways, with the dual outlets:
1665772445603.jpg

The previous generation F-body used a Y-pipe:
1665772587297.jpg

I'm pretty sure from memory, even Honda and Lexus had fake duals in the 90's. Who started the trend?

I look at my own cars. All 3 have two mufflers. Only 1/3 is a true dual setup.

When I was installing a trailer hitch, I thought, wouldn't it be nice to have only one muffler? Having two doubles what has to be dropped, and it's non-functional to boot.

I see many cars produced today that either have a single exhaust, or simply fake outlets.

Just curious what created the fake dual craze.

I believe it was the 1982 Camaro

Well, depends on which body style of Thunderbird we are talking about. The fox based 'bird had the turbo (i4) version and the 302 (5.0L) V8, which had an h-pipe and true duals (unlike the F-body).

The later (MN12) 'bird had the V6, the supercharged V6 (Super Coupe), the 302 and then the 4.6L modular. The MN12 cars had a Y-pipe in the rear:
View attachment 121096

82-92 F-body had the single inlet muffler, sideways, with the dual outlets:
View attachment 121097

The previous generation F-body used a Y-pipe:
View attachment 121098
I couldn’t find a photo. The MN12 is what I remember. My first car was the Fox body 85 Cougar v6 3 speed auto. What a lousy car.

148663.jpg

2 stroke pipe is exaggeration, but the car mfg´s does not want to be visible with "dirty exhaust".
it´s a dino car stigma, everybody wants to be green today much as possible.:oops:
i say ok- then hide the pipe completely, people are not stupid.

but some people are stupid enought to actually buy it and diy themselves :LOL:
s-l500.jpg

If you could hide the real exhaust under the car and just have the pipes out the back be dummies it would make passing smog easier. I kid I kid.

The supercharged 2004 Monte Carlo SS that I owned had two mufflers and tips coming out the rear but had a single pipe section with a resonator in the middle of the car so it wasn't a true duel exhaust. I later put on a Borla Cat back on it that was set up just like the factory system.

I have a Borla Cat back on my 98 Chevy K1500 truck and it has dual pipe going into a single muffler with dual pipes coming out of the muffler. The pipes inside the muffler are straight through so I guess in a sense it's true duals. The original exhaust was one muffler with duals pipes coming in and one pipe coming out.

My 2014 Mustang GT has true duals from the exhaust manifolds back to the dual tips with an H pipe after the cats.

The supercharged 2004 Monte Carlo SS that I owned had two mufflers and tips coming out the rear but had a single pipe section with a resonator in the middle of the car so it wasn't a true duel exhaust. I later put on a Borla Cat back on it that was set up just like the factory system.

I have a Borla Cat back on my 98 Chevy K1500 truck and it has dual pipe going into a single muffler with dual pipes coming out of the muffler. The pipes inside the muffler are straight through so I guess in a sense it's true duals. The original exhaust was one muffler with duals pipes coming in and one pipe coming out.

My 2014 Mustang GT has true duals from the exhaust manifolds back to the dual tips with an H pipe after the cats.
My F150 has true duals until the muffler, dual in single out.

Reactions: wtd
Back