Fake dual exhaust--does anyone know where that came from?

Porsche was doing fake dual exhausts on some of their late '80s early '90s 911s. I remember being at Laguna Seca one weekend. I was standing next to Gary Gerrold (sp?), the television pit reporter. We were standing next to a brand new 911 model of some sort. It was idling. It had dual exhausts. Gary and I exchanged a few brief words wondering about that. He bent down and put his hand over the exhaust outlets. When he put his hand over the left side one (IIRC), he looked up at me and shook his head "No". Surprising for a "function over form" automaker.

Scott

There's also a lot of cars that have fake chrome exhaust tips molded into the rear bumper cover, which hide the actual metal tips.... And disguise whether the car is a single or dual exhaust model. Probably makes it a much simpler job to replace the exhaust system when it inevitable rusts away; no fancy chrome tip to remove and re-weld onto the new pipe. The chrome is in the plastic bumper!

Thank you!
For the right price everything I own is always for sale ;-)
I like it too! Objectively speaking, it's a very good looking car. Since I like Buicks going back to my dad, overall I'd be biased. But 100% based on looks alone, it's good looking. I wish there were a Buick version of the new Tahoe.

All but 1 of my cars have dual exhausts, how do those fake duals work? They have nothing coming out of one side? Wouldn't after a few years they look black on one but shiny on the other?

All but 1 of my cars have dual exhausts, how do those fake duals work? They have nothing coming out of one side? Wouldn't after a few years they look black on one but shiny on the other?
I believe we are considering exhaust systems that Y off into to mufflers to be fake, and if they come off the manifolds separately, and run from the front to the back separately, where X and H pipes are allowed, that's a true dual....

I believe we are considering exhaust systems that Y off into to mufflers to be fake, and if they come off the manifolds separately, and run from the front to the back separately, where X and H pipes are allowed, that's a true dual....
So if I understand correctly:

X / H: real dual
Up side down Y: fake

. I: rice?

A lot of second-generation Camaros and Firebirds had the "transverse" muffler behind the rear axle, with a single inlet and dual outlets.
Yes, correct. They also had a version of the same muffler for true dual exhaust set up. In the early 80's when turbo shorty mufflers became popular, there were lots off F body owners who chucked the transverse muffler for turbo mufflers....which were heavier and had lower ground clearance. My college room mate had an 81 Z28 and he opted to put on chambered pipes and ditched the transverse set up.

For those of you who don't know about chambered exhaust please take a L@@K here; http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/faq.html

What’s with the newer Camry having twin exhaust tips where one of them is fake?? I can’t stop staring when I see them; it’s almost grotesque.

But don’t worry, your next car will have fake dual chrome charging ports.

There is at least one company making fake exhaust systems for Tesla cars :ROFLMAO:

maxresdefault-2.jpg

Performance "aesthetics", now.....about those fake exhaust notes piped in from your infotainment system...

This is what it looks like on my car. I believe the 4-door would have a different x-pipe in the center.

Basically off the manifolds separate

exh543.JPG

My 1971 Camaro SS 396 (actually a 402 but labeled as a 396) had one muffler going sideways and two pipes coming out the rear of the car. That car had factory air, console, 4 speed and was black with a black interior and vinyl top. It was one of 900 big block Camaro's produced in 1971.

My 1971 Camaro SS 396 (actually a 402 but labeled as a 396) had one muffler going sideways and two pipes coming out the rear of the car. That car had factory air, console, 4 speed and was black with a black interior and vinyl top. It was one of 900 big block Camaro's produced in 1971.
If I recall, a certain year of BMW 7, also the Pontiac GTO in the 2000's, these two cars had true duals. But here's the kicker, they had them converge at the same place so they looked like twin tips! As if the true dual was disguised. Seems like a lot is about looks...

Back