Fair price for a brake job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOG,

I pay to maintain a 2010 Mazda 6 that my son has at college over 1000 miles from home. We typically perform some simple maintenance together when he is home for part of the summer, and then take it to a local mechanic to have it looked over to see if anything else is pressing. Except for tires, he's never had the occasion to take it to a mechanic in Tempe, so he doesn't have a preferred place at school.

While visiting him a couple weekends ago I noticed a slight pulse under braking, but did not have time to do anything about it. I told him to take it in to get the brakes inspected. At 85K miles, I figured it needed the rotors turned or replaced, and most likely new pads as well (we replaced the front pads with Akebono ones at 40K). He found a local highly rated independent shop and they recommended replacing the front rotors and pads. They said the rear ones (still original) looked ok but should probably be replaced somewhere between 90K and 100K.

Total cost with tax was $376.71, which was $66.95 for the pads, $180.70 for the rotors, and $107 labor. The charge for the rotors looked high to me, but the other charges seem in line. Does that seem like a fair price to you? I am thinking of having him purchase rear rotors and pads from Rock Auto (or similar) and having the same shop do the rear brakes when he gets the oil changed at 90K miles (he won't be driving home this summer). Thank you.

Last edited:
That's been the going rate per axle in my area for years w/ what ever premium pads and rotors the shop can get locally. Dealers are about the same.

Last edited:
It depends upon the rotors. Are they the $25 ones or the $100 ones. I would bet if you looked at RockAuto you could find rotors between those prices I mention.

Same job in the northeast might be more because of the prep work required due to salt.

And when they get to new calipers is when the costs really go sky high.

You should have asked for the pads to be returned so you could examine wear pattern. (marking would be best also, which wheel, which pad).

There are good shops in my area that charge $300 per axle (new pads & rotors, not that resurfacing crap that dealers do).

Originally Posted by Ddub
Total cost with tax was $376.71, which was $66.95 for the pads, $180.70 for the rotors, and $107 labor. The charge for the rotors looked high to me, but the other charges seem in line. Does that seem like a fair price to you?

You understand that shops mark up the parts too? They don't make money just on the labor. They may have paid $30 for the pads and $30 a rotor.

I am thinking of having him purchase rear rotors and pads from Rock Auto (or similar) and having the same shop do the rear brakes when he gets the oil changed at 90K miles (he won't be driving home this summer).

That's like buying a steak at the supermarket, then taking it to a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you. You can try, but I bet they raise the labor cost and give no guarantee.

Originally Posted by mclasser
not that resurfacing crap

I've seen this mentioned here a lot, what is so wrong with resurfacing rotors? I'm do for a brake job on my Lucerne this spring and mech said about $180, this includes resurfacing and new pads for both axels. He said it looked like the fronts had been resurfaced once but the backs or still factory. 82k on Lucerne.

Not bad, especially if the shop is as good as you say.
They will stand by their work and help with other issues going forward.

Us DIYers cringe at letting other touch our cars, but considering the parts cost, I say give them the job.

Last edited:
Hi BITOG,

I pay to maintain a 2010 Mazda 6 that my son has at college over 1000 miles from home. We typically perform some simple maintenance together when he is home for part of the summer, and then take it to a local mechanic to have it looked over to see if anything else is pressing. Except for tires, he's never had the occasion to take it to a mechanic in Tempe, so he doesn't have a preferred place at school.

While visiting him a couple weekends ago I noticed a slight pulse under braking, but did not have time to do anything about it. I told him to take it in to get the brakes inspected. At 85K miles, I figured it needed the rotors turned or replaced, and most likely new pads as well (we replaced the front pads with Akebono ones at 40K). He found a local highly rated independent shop and they recommended replacing the front rotors and pads. They said the rear ones (still original) looked ok but should probably be replaced somewhere between 90K and 100K.

Total cost with tax was $376.71, which was $66.95 for the pads, $180.70 for the rotors, and $107 labor. The charge for the rotors looked high to me, but the other charges seem in line. Does that seem like a fair price to you? I am thinking of having him purchase rear rotors and pads from Rock Auto (or similar) and having the same shop do the rear brakes when he gets the oil changed at 90K miles (he won't be driving home this summer). Thank you.

Does the shop allow the customer to supply parts?

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by mclasser
not that resurfacing crap

I've seen this mentioned here a lot, what is so wrong with resurfacing rotors? I'm do for a brake job on my Lucerne this spring and mech said about $180, this includes resurfacing and new pads for both axels. He said it looked like the fronts had been resurfaced once but the backs or still factory. 82k on Lucerne.

Probably because a lot of techs have difficulty with resurfacing a rotor properly without adding more runout. This is why most OEM's now require rotors to be machined on-car.

Originally Posted by atikovi
If you don't feel any pulsation when braking, no need to resurface and make the rotor thinner. Just a sanding disc to dress the surface is all you need.

The smoother the surface, the better. If you are replacing pads only, there is no need to sand the surface. None of the OEM repair information advocates for sanding the surface on a pad only replacement.

Originally Posted by The Critic
If you don't feel any pulsation when braking, no need to resurface and make the rotor thinner. Just a sanding disc to dress the surface is all you need.

The smoother the surface, the better. If you are replacing pads only, there is no need to sand the surface. None of the OEM repair information advocates for sanding the surface on a pad only replacement.

Dressing the surface helps bed in the new pads.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Dressing the surface helps bed in the new pads.

It does not, and in fact it makes it worse. Dressing the surface does not make it smoother, and it also does not remove any grooving. A used rotor with no grooving and no excessive glazing will be perfectly fine for new pads. If there is grooving or heavy glazing, the rotor needs to be machined or replaced.

Dressing the surface is a common misconception. There is a reason why OEM service info does not advocate for "dressing" the surface for pad replacement.

Ok, so consensus opinion is maybe a little on the high side, but nothing egregious. I do not mind paying for quality, but I despise being taken advantage of. Thanks to (most) all of you for the thoughtful and informed replies. I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Ok, so consensus opinion is maybe a little on the high side, but nothing egregious. I do not mind paying for quality, but I despise being taken advantage of. Thanks to (most) all of you for the thoughtful and informed replies. I appreciate your input.

We are somewhere between $450-$550/axle for aftermarket rotors and dealer pads so your price is fairly average, if not a bit low. But my market is different than yours; dealers here get $350-$400/axle for new pads and resurfaced rotors.

I just did my sons altima fronts before he left this yr. Bosch quiet cast rotors were $51 a piece and quietcast pads were $26. Of course I got my stuff on amazon and most shops won't but will still double the price for making a call to napa or autozone depending on who they use. Your kind of in a tough spot but from a diy standpoint the only thing reasonable is the labor on that quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back