Fair price for a brake job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by skyactiv
...simple work a high school dropout can do in 30 minutes.

Or where an attorney or a physician or a college professor or a...

wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

I admire anyone who can do things I can't do. It makes me sad as I read your post. It's hurtful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
...simple work a high school dropout can do in 30 minutes.

Or where an attorney or a physician or a college professor or a...

wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

I admire anyone who can do things I can't do. It makes me sad as I read your post. It's hurtful.

Yeah, you don't see parents dragged through the mud like that. I think someone once said that becoming one was just unskilled labor which required no prior experience.

The trickiest part of a DIY pad slap is raising the car and removing a front wheel . Ever change a flat? It is only a bit more involved, and the pieces are smaller. There are you tube how tos galore. basic hand tools and jack stand or equivalent is required. Take pictures and make it look like the picture. Also don't expect to be anywhere near as fast as flat rate.

Regardless of what state you live in, there are shops that charge a ton of money and ones that don't. It seems like the new trend on bitog is defending high prices for simple work a high school dropout can do in 30 minutes.

It's not "high prices". It's cost of living nothing remains the same.

I would say that is a fair price as long as the pads are at least mid level quality and the rotors are the better quality aftermarket, which are usually the coated rotors.

My FIL took his 2017 Nissan Frontier to the local Nissan dealer for a 5pm oil change appointment yesterday and they talked him into a $450 front brake job. New pads and rotors. His Frontier has only 16K miles on it. It sits for weeks at a time.

Funny thing is, he used a free oil change coupon that this dealership gave me when I bought our used 2019 Pathfinder from them 2 months ago. I was beginning to unravel on delivery day because they were taking so long and to "make it up to me" the general manager gave me the coupon.

I'm sure it varies from make/model, but the one and only time I ever got a brake job quote from a dealer was for rears on our 2013 Grand Caravan around 2016. It was around $350 at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back