Failed motorcraft fl-500s

Those are Ford filters and not Motorcraft, right. Isn't that what comes on vehicles from the factory
They are all Motorcraft. I can order them on my normal Ford order which takes a few weeks to show up when it is drop shipped from Mann/Hummel/Purolator. Or else I can order them from my FAD who delivers *checks watch* right now from the order I put in yesterday. Same parts, but it is more convenient from a FAD because I can order smaller quantities. Direct from Ford I have to order filters in case quantities that add up to a multiplier of 48. From a FAD it can be any quantity.

FWIW I can't order the factory fit filters. Those are not supplied to the dealers. Sometimes engines come with them on, but the 5.4 2V longblock I sold yesterday had a regular Motorcraft FL-820S on it.

Those are Ford filters and not Motorcraft, right. Isn't that what comes on vehicles from the factory
Any Ford filter labled as "Motorcraft" is made by Purolator (Mann+Hummel). The filters installed at the Ford factory are not the same as what's sold through the dealerships. The factory filters change manufacterers over time. I know back in 2015 the factor oil filters were made bt Wix. See post #39 for latest info.

Any Ford filter labled as "Motorcraft" is made by Purolator (Mann+Hummel). The filters installed at the Ford factory are not the same as what's sold through the dealerships. The factory filters change manufacterers over time. I know back in 2015 the factor oil filters were made bt Wix. See post #39 for latest info.
I knew that but was wondering if he was somehow ordering the Ford Factory filters. I have heard form others that they had gotten some Motorcraft FL-500's that had messed up thread too. Quality is down all over.

I knew that but was wondering if he was somehow ordering the Ford Factory filters. I have heard form others that they had gotten some Motorcraft FL-500's that had messed up thread too. Quality is down all over.
I don't think anyone can buy or obtain Ford vehicle assembly factory filters, except for the factory through thier supplier.

The Ford factory ones are labeled differently so that dealers can tell if they’ve ever been changed in the field after leaving the factory. They were Champ long ago, then Wix, but Mann owns Wix now-and the ones shown in the factory dumpster have the tell-tale Puro oval baseplate holes.

Here is a friends filter that I cut for him. Was purchased though a ford dealership where he works.It was used on a ... gen 3 coyote truck with a shorter interval (no more then 5k miles). ...

View attachment 118671View attachment 118672
That oil looks bad. Was there extensive idling or was it in service over 5 months?
Any significant moisture in the sump will kill filters pretty quickly being paper. I have had a $14 Honda Filtech racing filter tear open two pleats near the endcap on a passenger car application that I have posted here. That OCI was run across a cold winter though.

That oil looks bad. Was there extensive idling or was it in service over 5 months?
Any significant moisture in the sump will kill filters pretty quickly being paper. I have had a $14 Honda Filtech racing filter tear open two pleats near the endcap on a passenger car application that I have posted here. That OCI was run across a cold winter though.
Pretty normal use. 6 months. 5k miles. Nothing out of the ordinary. It is not a truck that idles much at all.

Good Lord! I have continued to use these on my F150 because the truck is still under warranty, but now I am questioning that. What would be a good, reasonably priced filter to use moving forward?

Back