Counterfeit Motorcraft FL-500S from Amazon (possibly)

I've ordered a few FL-500S filters from Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon) and the most recent one looks quite odd. In the pictures below, the new filter is the one on the right. Most of the pictures online of a FL-500S show the filter with the small ridges at the top of the filter (including the image on the box), however the new filter only has 14. I can't spot any other differences, is it possible Motorcraft changed the design or is this is a counterfeit? I'm planning to return this filter and buy one from the dealer for a few bucks more.

IMG_1939.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1941.jpg

I guess it's your definition of "odd". Both look like oil filters. Is there more than one company or location with different tooling that makes these filters? Maybe somebody else can answer that.

These look fine. Purolator was the primary manufacturer of Motorcraft filters and merged with Wix, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a cost reduction/material consolidation.

OReilly's part listing for a FL500s matches your new filter.

Last edited:
Cut it open...that may help you know, but at the end of the day, Amazon 100% has sellers pumping counterfeit product through there. I've said this before...we've found plenty of ripoff Fleetguard filters on Amazon and testing shows they are absolute garbage. The outside physical appearance looked very close to genuine, even identical in some cases, but performance in testing showed they were fake. Not saying that's the case here, but it's a real possibility it could be fake.

Looks like they've changed the flutes on the dome, that's it. Everything else I see including date code format looks the same. I guess one could check against similar manufacture date code on another to confirm change. I say legit.

Edit. Googled it, check out the link including watching video at :35 secs.

Last edited:
Looks like they've changed the flutes on the dome, that's it. Everything else I see including date code format looks the same. I guess one could check against similar manufacture date code on another to confirm change. I say legit.

Edit. Googled it, check out the link including watching video at :35 secs.

Thanks for the link. If dealers are selling this design, then I have no reason to believe it's counterfeit.

I think there have been few other threads about the change in the dome end flutes. Looks to be a deliberate change by Motorcraft.

The real one is on the RIGHT. The MC/Pur-0-Lator are aftermarket.......
They are both FoMoCo endorsed supplier "real". The one on the right is the factory filter, as noted. The one the left is FoMoCo's 'OES/OEM' supplier Motorcraft. MC is sold at FoMoCo dealerships and elsewhere. By definition, the MC OF is not an "aftermarket" part to a FoMoCo vehicle.

It looks authentic. I don’t know the date codes on these but I see 91420 and 72721.

I've ordered a few FL-500S filters from Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon) and the most recent one looks quite odd. In the pictures below, the new filter is the one on the right. Most of the pictures online of a FL-500S show the filter with the small ridges at the top of the filter (including the image on the box), however the new filter only has 14. I can't spot any other differences, is it possible Motorcraft changed the design or is this is a counterfeit? I'm planning to return this filter and buy one from the dealer for a few bucks more.

View attachment 80627View attachment 80629View attachment 80630
You have a new style one (left) & an old style one (right), they both appear genuine. Not sure why they changed, but I’m sure Mann & Hummel had something to do with it. I guess MC filters are OEM when they’re installed on a Ford, and aftermarket on any other manufacturer!

View attachment 80627View attachment 80629View attachment 80630
One on right is not counterfeit. Check out the numerous MC filters I have cut and posted lately.

They are both FoMoCo endorsed supplier "real". The one on the right is the factory filter, as noted. The one the left is FoMoCo's 'OES/OEM' supplier Motorcraft. MC is sold at FoMoCo dealerships and elsewhere. By definition, the MC OF is not an "aftermarket" part to a FoMoCo vehicle.
I know I've owned too many fords :) Always found the factory Champ or ?? to perform well. I wish they could be purchased.

Here is a disassembly of an O.E. FoMoCo off a 2011 Ranger I posted a decade ago:

fomocodisassy_82011.jpg

Back