Failed motorcraft fl-500s

I am cautious of anything made by Purolator simply due to their track record on my application and from viewing these forums over the years. They were given a huge opportunity once to be the OEM supplier for Subaru of America. For those of you around at that time (pre 2010?) you’ll recall the gaskets were made wrong and leaked; thus, causing a high number of shop returns and quickly having their SOA contract cancelled. I applaud Subaru for holding their OEM suppliers accountable. It’s insane to me that Purolator botched such an opportunity.

Some years later I tried a PureOne on my Subaru. Leaked at the gasket.

Last, while there’s no formal scientific process here what is the filter brand we have seen with broken seams or tearing the most over the years on this forum? From our casual observations and the contributions to these forums I do worry Purolator shows up a lot in this regard.

Last edited:
I am cautious of anything made by Purolator simply due to their track record on my application and from viewing these forums over the years. They were given a huge opportunity once to be the OEM supplier for Subaru of America. For those of you around at that time (pre 2010?) you’ll recall the gaskets were made wrong and leaked; thus, causing a high number of shop returns and quickly having their SOA contract cancelled. I applaud Subaru for holding their OEM suppliers accountable. It’s insane to me that Purolator botched such an opportunity.

Some years later I tried a PureOne on my Subaru. Leaked at the gasket.

Last, while there’s no formal scientific process here what is the filter brand we have seen with broken seams or tearing the most over the years on this forum? From our casual observations and the contributions to these forums I do worry Purolator shows up a lot in this regard.
Thank You for setting things straight. I do remember the 2010 Subaru issue with filters as well.

I don't recall Purolator losing an opportunity to make Subaru oil filters because the "gaskets were made wrong" and leaked. I'd would like to see a link and/or citing for that reference as evidence.

Otoh, I do recall Fram having to recall Subaru labeled oil filters because of defective gaskets because they could/did leak possibly causing a fire. And I do have a link for that reference. It was somewhere early 2013.
So 'if' Purolator lost the contract, 'perhaps' it was as much a Subaru or Subaru filter location issue as a manufacturing issue because it seems Fram couldn't get the gaskets right either.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Those familiar with the Subaru "ring of fire" oil filter location will understand the context. If interested while it's been posted in this sub forum several times, google will quickly find images.

To topic, looks like FL500S opened at the seam/joining pleat. 'In my observation', not the usual failure/tear seen this subforum. But a failure nonetheless. That said, 'also in my observation', with the exception of the 820S, the majority of post use Motorcraft oil filters have looked respectable. My .02

Last edited:
I don't recall Purolator losing an opportunity to make Subaru oil filters because the "gaskets were made wrong" and leaked. I'd would like to see a link and/or citing for that reference as evidence.

Otoh, I do recall Fram having to recall Subaru labeled oil filters because of defective gaskets because they could/did leak possibly causing a fire. And I do have a link for that reference. It was somewhere early 2013.
So 'if' Purolator lost the contract, 'perhaps' it was as much a Subaru or Subaru filter location issue as a manufacturing issue because it seems Fram couldn't get the gaskets right either.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Those familiar with the Subaru "ring of fire" oil filter location will understand the context. If interested while it's been posted in this sub forum several times, google will quickly find images.

To topic, looks like FL500S opened at the seam/joining pleat. 'In my observation', not the usual failure/tear seen this subforum. But a failure nonetheless. That said, 'also in my observation', with the exception of the 820S, the majority of post use Motorcraft oil filters have looked respectable. My .02
Well, I won’t use a MC filter let’s state facts. Makes me sick people defending a Purolator product that is known for tearing issues. Maybe I’m blind and regarded; either way I don’t care anymore

Purolator made the OEM oil filter for Subaru of America briefly. This was when the Tokyo Roki OEMs were phasing out. The SOA Purolator OEM was white and I only recall seeing them around less than a year before Subaru switched to the blue Honeywell. I don’t recall if there was more than one part# they produced, but one was 15208AA09A and this appears to have been around 2004. It’s my understanding that their gaskets were too thin to hold a good seal. This was well documented on various forums at the time and a good friend that was a 30 year Subaru dealer technician informed me about it. Here’s an old forum discussion regarding it: https://www.iwsti.com/threads/soa-recalls-new-15208aa09a-oil-filter.34113/. It is difficult to find the official recall notice online due to the time period and their very brief run as an OEM supplier. Hat's off to anyone that wants to get the official documentation on this one for more clarification, but I got too many other projects going.

Yes, you are correct that Subarus have issues with leaking gaskets (with many aftermarkets), but that should not be commonplace with a new OEM supplier across entire production runs. I suppose that was my point. While Honeywell did have a gasket issue in 2013 they already had a decade or so of problem-free OEM product for SOA. Also (I think) it was more isolated and they corrected quickly.

Speaking of aftermarket I just noticed the new Microgard filter for my Subaru at O’Reily’s now has a round gasket. I think the aftermarket space is catching on…

And back to topic, again I’m just stating my personal experience with Purolator; moreover, this is a small community of enthusiasts here on BITOG. There are zillions of filters produced for zillions of vehicles. For a small group like us to find a tear on a filter should be almost unheard of yet a quick trip to the search function can pull up several from this manufacturer. Maybe it’s a fluke, but just my observation. I’ve no intention of bashing a brand or developing some kind of team sports obsession with one. Everyone should use what they like and decide for themselves what will be best.

Last edited:
Well, I won’t use a MC filter let’s state facts. Makes me sick people defending a Purolator product that is known for tearing issues. Maybe I’m blind and regarded; either way I don’t care anymore
Puro/MC had been improving, lately, but their QC still makes them engine Russian roulette! Their curse seems to be spreading to Wix as well.

Yes, Purolator made oil filters hold the top spot in the media tearing race ever since 2014 when the tearing media phenomena all seemed to start.

Yes, Purolator made oil filters hold the top spot in the media tearing race ever since 2014 when the tearing media phenomena all seemed to start.
Yeah - I cut open a mess of new MC/P1’s after this was noted - started tugging a little - Heck, Xerox sells stronger paper …

Oh man . What make you cut your filter in first place ?

Since switch to fram because it’s easy available at Walmart not because it’s good . I haven’t had any issue with fram orange can . Tbh now Aday I use whatever I can easy get my hand on at that moment .same with oil

Last edited:
....Yes, you are correct that Subarus have issues with leaking gaskets (with many aftermarkets), but that should not be commonplace with a new OEM supplier across entire production runs. I suppose that was my point. While Honeywell did have a gasket issue in 2013 they already had a decade or so of problem-free OEM product for SOA. Also (I think) it was more isolated and they corrected quickly.....
So Purolator made the Subaru "briefly" ~2003? and appears to have had a leak issue for some period of time. (I wouldn't have known anything about Subaru OEM manufacturer back in the early 2000s). Then, Fram made them, had issues with leaking (gasket),~2013. So, both had issues with leaks I remember the Fram recall because I replied this subforum when it was posted. Can still be found using search feature.

As for sealing gasket type, the only failure I've ever had was on a dealer installed Toyota Denso with "P-type" (apparently what some call round) gasket. Started dripping at not long after installed, tightening made no difference. Had to be replaced by dealer, no meaningful explanation given. I've never had any issue with the significantly more common flat/squared edge sealing gasket. That in over five decades diy oil and filter change. In my experience and IMO, other than 'perhaps' the gasket better staying attached to filter on removal no significant advantage to the P type sealing gasket over the flat type.

Back to the original/OP thread topic, specifically Motorcraft oil filters. As previously stated, excepting the 820S, post use dissections on this subforum have generally looked good, including the topic FL500S. I'm sure the anecdotal evidence this sub forum bears that out. That observation is completely independent of any/all manufacturer considerations. Member DuckRyder has posted a good number post use topic 500S filters over the years. *Linked is one of DR's more recent and representative 500S post use anecdotes

.....Everyone should use what they like and decide for themselves what will be best.
Agreed, stated similar this subforum many times. (y) I appreciate your civil reply and follow up to my previous post.

Personally, don't have occasion to use MC filters. However, 'based strictly on post use anecdotes posted', excepting the 820S, I'd use them. The 910S makes a good value price choice for OPE/mower applications where clearance permits.

Last edited:
Am I wrong in that the microgard (Oreilly) filters are also made by Mann now that they bought wix?
I think there is either more than one manufacturer or they’re switching. For my Subaru the MGL57712 used to be a Wix filter. The stock photo of it on their website no longer matches the actual product in stores. I just looked last week and they’re now completely different. Different tapping plate, rounded gasket, bypass relief type, etc and it’s made in Vietnam. It looks good to me.

Oh man . What make you cut your filter in first place ?

Since switch to fram because it’s easy available at Walmart not because it’s good . I haven’t had any issue with fram orange can . Tbh now Aday I use whatever I can easy get my hand on at that moment .same with oil
I cut every filter open that I use. This happened to be from a friends truck that he gave to me to cut open. The last 500s I did for him looked much better and held up ok. This one…. Not so much…

I appreciate your civil reply and follow up to my previous post.

blue-youre-my-boy-shout.gif

I’m glad you finally admit that you WONT use a MC FL-820S; I bout felll over reading this. Wonder what would happen if I posted a tore FL-910S 🤔🤔🙊

I bought the 2 MC FL-910S is you must truly know also.
You got me there. For sure I won't be using MC 820s on my Ford Fusions, but if you want to donate your 910s to me, PM me and I'll give you, my address.

I contacted Purolator awhile back on their facebook page about their quality control issues. They of course denied any such issue. Its become a pretty well known issue around the net so its not just those of us on BITOG that know about it. Even after all these years nothing has changed though.

I mentioned it in another thread here but my brother works at the Ford engine plant. They switched from wix to purolator as the supplier for the factory filters. As soon as they switched they started have quality control issues with the filters. They had filters that wouldn't thread onto the engines because the threads were junk. They were also receiving filters that were dented and beat up.

Here is a picture of a bunch of them in the scrap he sent me.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 65
In the past, I have usually had pretty good luck with the "Ultra-Power" labeled (ie; RockAuto "store brand") oil filters...
I have usually received NOS Wix/Carquest/Napa filters with their sticker on them....

but now I usually get Chinese made stuff, so I'll probably stop buying them.
Champ Labs or Luber-Finer from now on.

Back