F150 vs Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford....for sure. I'd get EB, or 5.0. If I were to buy, I'd pick Ram. They seem to have the best incentives, and look the best IMO.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: itguy08

I wonder if they buy the Cummins because of the Cummins or the truck? I know a lot of the Cummins appeal is that it is a "big rig engine".

If that were the case, before the "Scorpion", why wouldn't Ford have stuck a big NAVISTAR badge in place of the PowerStroke badge? Or before the GMSuzu Duramax, why didn't GM advertise their diesel as a Detroit?

Instead of developing thier own diesels (GM in conjunction with with Isuzu, Ford with AVL Austria) why didn't they just source Caterpillar. If a Cummins badge sells Rams, wouldn't a CAT Diesel Power badge sell too?

It would, and Ford is stupid for not jumping on board.

A nice say 3116 in the front of a Ford 3/4 and 1 ton would be great.

To bad navistar builds CAT's OTR engines now.... Don't think that would fly with ford.

Yeah its a shame the new emissions regulations killed diesels in this country.

I'm a little fascinated by the new Ram, but not what the OP asked...my vote is the F-150, but I'm a little partial too.

Last edited:
I`d take the Ford, cant beat their trucks. Dont care much for their cars, but the trucks are the best.

Last edited:
I would get the Ford or GM or Ram, co-worker just had the rear diff in his Tundra fail. 2000 $$ later he is back in business.

Ford makes a nice diesel truck. If you are not keeping the truck beyond warranty, get what you like. If you are going to keep it a while, I'd stay clear of the Ford, including their EB. Tundra will outlast the Ford 1/2 ton. And the comments on buy American are funny. Where are lots of those Ford parts made? Including a Chinese tranny I believe...Ford used to be American.

Originally Posted By: DavesTundra
Ford makes a nice diesel truck. If you are not keeping the truck beyond warranty, get what you like. If you are going to keep it a while, I'd stay clear of the Ford, including their EB. Tundra will outlast the Ford 1/2 ton. And the comments on buy American are funny. Where are lots of those Ford parts made? Including a Chinese tranny I believe...Ford used to be American.

Because your username doesn't indicate any kind of bias at all.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
In the market for a pickup, and have narrowed it down to these two; both are great choices IMO but wanted to hear opinions from some knowledgeable folks here.

For those that might suggest other makes or models, I'm 6'4" and my wife is 6'1"; we simply don't fit into midsized trucks; the full size Dodge and Chevy/GMC don't have enough headroom, and Nissan's ergonomics aren't comfortable for either of us.

All that said, any information is welcome, and thanks in advance.

If you watch the Ford comparison videos, you will see that the Tundra frame flexed so bad that the bed punctured the cab. I'm 6'1" and drive a 2011 Ram Outdoorsman. Plenty of headroom for me. I didn't think that the Ford handled or rode as well as the Ram. The Ram tows, and brakes much better than the GMC's that I've owned. The 2013 Ram gets a German built proven 8 speed auto. I don't like the ergos of most of the imports. Forced to choose between your two choices, Ford has much more experience in the truck market. I wouldn't consider the Toy!

Originally Posted By: VNTS
I would get the Ford or GM or Ram, co-worker just had the rear diff in his Tundra fail. 2000 $$ later he is back in business.

I pretty much agree, it would be in this order for me Ford, Ram, then GM. I 'd pass on the Toyota truck, I'd probably pass on the GM too.

I have an 2008 Tundra with about 75K miles on it. No problems since new. Only oil changes and some brake maintenance. I find it interesting that people automatically say the F-150 is superior yet offer no real reasons. The Tundra will do everything an F-150 will do. The 5.7L has pretty much the same performance as an Ecoboost, with a slight fuel economy hit. I like the fact that the 5.7L is MUCH simpler and less to go long in the long haul than an Ecoboost.

I have average 17.4 MPG mixed with my Tundra 5.7L 4x4. They aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be on fuel. They have excellent brakes and great suspension on rough roads. It will take a load in the bed as good as any other half ton, and will pretty much do any task as well as a new F-150 even though it's a 2007 design. Plus almost all reliability stats show it as number one. Of course the Ford has a more modern cab and gimmicks, but it's a newer design.

And yes, the Tundra has a more flexible frame than the F-150. That's because the F-150 uses a boxed frame, while the Tundra uses the older style boxed front, C-channel rear. Of course a boxed frame is going to be stiffer. Old F-150's used the same frame design as the Tundra and yet nobody claims they are not capable trucks. The stiffer frame is only better for offering a better ride IMO, but really offers no other major advantages.

Honestly, people are so brand loyal in trucks, some people will never truly consider another brand. Try both and see what you like. I did, and I bought a Tundra.

If you're towing at altitude, then I'd get the eco-boost F-150, hands down.

We live out here in Colorado and do a lot of towing above 9000 feet. In this scenario, the only gas motor I want has a turbo on it, the altitude kills hp!

We tow with a '99 Ram 2500 Cummins and its awesome.....forced induction baby!

Originally Posted By: Nick R

LOL, exactly!
wink.gif

The Chinese-sourced transmission (which has been a pain in Ford's side, thankfully) was a joint venture between Ford and Getrag and was fitted to the Mustang. It has about as much to do with this thread and the F-150 as the oil burning issue on the Corolla has to do with the Tundra.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I am 6'7" and frankly don't understand your comments about the ergonomics of the Titan not working for you, and also the Chevy as being too small. I owned a Titan and I loved it, sold it because gas got expensive and having a full size pickup was just for vanity. I also fit fine in the new Silverados.

That being said I'd go with the Ford, out of the currently available options.

I think your the only person i have ever heard say they like the titan... the air must be much thinner up there lol

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
I have an 2008 Tundra with about 75K miles on it. No problems since new. Only oil changes and some brake maintenance. I find it interesting that people automatically say the F-150 is superior yet offer no real reasons. The Tundra will do everything an F-150 will do. The 5.7L has pretty much the same performance as an Ecoboost, with a slight fuel economy hit. I like the fact that the 5.7L is MUCH simpler and less to go long in the long haul than an Ecoboost.

I have average 17.4 MPG mixed with my Tundra 5.7L 4x4. They aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be on fuel. They have excellent brakes and great suspension on rough roads. It will take a load in the bed as good as any other half ton, and will pretty much do any task as well as a new F-150 even though it's a 2007 design. Plus almost all reliability stats show it as number one. Of course the Ford has a more modern cab and gimmicks, but it's a newer design.

And yes, the Tundra has a more flexible frame than the F-150. That's because the F-150 uses a boxed frame, while the Tundra uses the older style boxed front, C-channel rear. Of course a boxed frame is going to be stiffer. Old F-150's used the same frame design as the Tundra and yet nobody claims they are not capable trucks. The stiffer frame is only better for offering a better ride IMO, but really offers no other major advantages.

Honestly, people are so brand loyal in trucks, some people will never truly consider another brand. Try both and see what you like. I did, and I bought a Tundra.

Right, I am the original owner of my 2008 and while I have only 44k miles on it, it has been great and so has Toyota on repairing any TSBs or Warranty stuffs. As far as fuel economy. stock for stock, I get just about the same as my good friend who owns an EB. Yea, his truck is very nice on the inside...lots of bells and whistles. But, I do like my offerings like Bluetooth, Navi, Leather, all the limited bells and whistles that the Tundra offers...my truck 2008 vs his 2012 offerings. As far as longevity. I definitely like the outlook of my 5.7 vs the turbo charged V6. The EB seems like a nice truck, time will tell though. The 5.7 has been around long enough to see that it can last many many miles.

It is funny a lot of people will say the EB > 5.7L Toy but they don't own either of them. I may be biased, but I made an educated decision in 2008 to get the best available 1/2 ton (I was never brand loyal, had a Sivlerado before this truck)...at least I own one of the trucks in discussion. I just wanted the best truck for my buck.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

LOL, exactly!
wink.gif

The Chinese-sourced transmission (which has been a pain in Ford's side, thankfully) was a joint venture between Ford and Getrag and was fitted to the Mustang. It has about as much to do with this thread and the F-150 as the oil burning issue on the Corolla has to do with the Tundra.

Ugh, so I guess I would be better off putting in my 2 cents if I drove a Subaru instead???

And the point of me bring that up was to mention that those who think the Big 3 are necessarily more American just because of their mfg name, isn't always so...The point was the Tundra is more American made than the Ford, currently. And the tranny is a key component of any truck. So is the motor. Both in my Tundra were made here, in Alabama and Texas, respectively.

All depends on your preferences. If I was in the full-size truck market, it would be the F-150 or Ram. The Tundra seems nice, I just think the F150 is a much better looking truck.

The 5.7 in the Tundra seems pretty well proven, stout motor. Just remember with the F150, the Ecoboost isn't the only option, the 5.0 is a great motor to. There are some Ecoboost engines with relatively high mileage, but not alot of data yet. The engine has only been out since 2010(in the Taurus SHO). I drove one though and I loved it! I would probably pick the 5.0 though, but I'm partial to the beautiful sound of that V8.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

LOL, exactly!
wink.gif

Ugh, so I guess I would be better off putting in my 2 cents if I drove a Subaru instead???

And the point of me bring that up was to mention that those who think the Big 3 are necessarily more American just because of their mfg name, isn't always so...The point was the Tundra is more American made than the Ford, currently. And the tranny is a key component of any truck. So is the motor. Both in my Tundra were made here, in Alabama and Texas, respectively.

Yes, driving a Subaru would make your point inherently less biased. The name "DavesTundra" has some built in Toyota bias, otherwise you wouldn't have chosen it
wink.gif

Ford manufactures a transmission (for the Mustang) in China. Toyota buys transmissions from a host of companies, many of them based out of Japan. This is common practice in the industry and certainly not something I hold against Toyota. I DO however hold Ford's choice of a Chinese transmission in the Mustang against THEM.

Regardless, you are stating the Tundra is currently more American than the F-150. That point is WRONG.

The domestic index currently ranks the F-150 as #2, right behind the Camry as having the most American parts content. The Tundra is #7.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0712

And yes, the tranny is certainly a key component of any truck. Ford makes the tranny for the F-150 in the USA as well.

The truck is made in Kansas City or Dearborn, the transmission in Livonia, Michigan, and the engine in Romeo, Michigan, or Windsor, Ontario.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

What year was his tundra? A co worker thrashes his 2006 tundra 4.7L and kept on going till it got totalled. Had 140K, not much but considering the abuse not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back