F150 vs Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last serious truck we had was an F-250, a loooooong time ago. But I felt one could drive it over a cliff and it would keep on going. One really tough machine.

Everybody I know who has the 150 nowadays seems to have a similar feeling, and with a lot more candy and toys to enjoy than we ever had!

My vote goes with the Ford. If we needed a hard working truck, that's what we'd be buying.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
The 2013 Ram gets a German built proven 8 speed auto.

As a VW fanboy I'm not 100% certain that a German "proven" transmission is a selling point...

For what its worth, you will never find a Tundra in the oil industry in any capacity in the Alberta region. They simply do not last according to the workers (my brother is one of them) as the suspension, frame quickly shows fault. I can only report what I hear and see, so have no further comment.

Ford F150 TSB By Year (just starting with 2008, previous years can be seen here as well): http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2008/tsbs/
2008 - 33
2009 - 27
2010 - 38
2011 - 32
2012 - 2

Same as above but for Toyota Tundra: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Tundra/2008/tsbs/
2008 - 27
2009 - 19
2010 - 17
2011 - None
2012 - None

2011 and 2012 years are pretty new so maybe some issues have not surfaced yet on both vehicles of these years.

For every TSB, there are many complaints which can also be seen on this site. Good resource for those who are looking to get into any vehicle.

Who knows, maybe this site is biased also?? I just did a simple google search and this is the first place that came up.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
For what its worth, you will never find a Tundra in the oil industry in any capacity in the Alberta region. They simply do not last according to the workers (my brother is one of them) as the suspension, frame quickly shows fault. I can only report what I hear and see, so have no further comment.

Same experience here in the oilfields in Fourchon. Ford is king here, followed closely by Dodge and if you look hard enough you will see a GM product or 2

Originally Posted By: DavesTundra
Ford F150 TSB By Year (just starting with 2008, previous years can be seen here as well): http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2008/tsbs/
2008 - 33
2009 - 27
2010 - 38
2011 - 32
2012 - 2

Same as above but for Toyota Tundra: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Tundra/2008/tsbs/
2008 - 27
2009 - 19
2010 - 17
2011 - None
2012 - None

2011 and 2012 years are pretty new so maybe some issues have not surfaced yet on both vehicles of these years.

For every TSB, there are many complaints which can also be seen on this site. Good resource for those who are looking to get into any vehicle.

Who knows, maybe this site is biased also?? I just did a simple google search and this is the first place that came up.

You clearly don't have an agenda....
smirk.gif

Judging by how you lept to this after I disproved your claims that the Tundra is more American than the F-150, and you've made no attempt to acknowledge that fact, I fear an intelligent and unbiased discussion with you may simply be impossible.

But assuming you may acknowledge the fact that your previous claims were flaccid conjecture with no basis in reality, I will indulge in your current diversionary tactic that TSB's (with no mention of the severity) and the minuscule rift between the F-150 and Tundra means something.

Now, since you'd decided to bring up TSB numbers, let us bring up sales figures (the F-150 sales aren't broken out of the F-series unfortunately):

2007:
F-series: 690,589
Tundra: 196,555

2008:
F-series: 515,513
Tundra: 137,249

2009:
F-series: 413,625
Tundra: 79,385

2010:
F-series: 528,349
Tundra: 93,309

2011:
F-series: 584,917
Tundra: 89,655

Now, do you not think, that since Ford sold roughly 6x the number of F-series pick-up trucks in 2011 than Toyota sold Tundra's, that the potential for more TSB's and complaints exists?

Originally Posted By: 97f150
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

Same experience here in the oilfields in Fourchon. Ford is king here, followed closely by Dodge and if you look hard enough you will see a GM product or 2

What kind of trucks do you see out there, I mean, which models of Ford and Dodge?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
2008 - 33
2009 - 27
2010 - 38
2011 - 32
2012 - 2

2008 - 27
2009 - 19
2010 - 17
2011 - None
2012 - None

You clearly don't have an agenda....
smirk.gif

Judging by how you lept to this after I disproved your claims that the Tundra is more American than the F-150, and you've made no attempt to acknowledge that fact, I fear an intelligent and unbiased discussion with you may simply be impossible.

But assuming you may acknowledge the fact that your previous claims were flaccid conjecture with no basis in reality, I will indulge in your current claims that TSB's (with no mention of the severity) and the minuscule rift between the F-150 and Tundra means something.

Now, since you'd decided to bring up TSB numbers, let us bring up sales figures (the F-150 sales aren't broken out of the F-series unfortunately):

2007:
F-series: 690,589
Tundra: 196,555

2008:
F-series: 515,513
Tundra: 137,249

2009:
F-series: 413,625
Tundra: 79,385

2010:
F-series: 528,349
Tundra: 93,309

2011:
F-series: 584,917
Tundra: 89,655

Now, do you not think, that since Ford sold roughly 6x the number of F-series pick-up trucks in 2011 than Toyota sold Tundra's, that the potential for more TSB's and complaints exists?

Potential for more claims, yes! But not for TSBs and recalls. That is simply an attribute of design. I don't care if 6x more F150s are out there. That doesn't mean necessarily the design is better. It is due to other factors most likely. If it were design alone, then most of us would be idiots as seen by the amount of problems these owners face (see carcomplaints.com).

Oh, and you were right, I was wrong, on the "more American" statement/claim. Want a cookie? Happy now?
I guess, I see the claim all the time how the Big 3 are more American. Looks like the Ford actually is. Tundra at #7 is pretty darned good, so folks should stop claiming it is some "[censored] ride POS". It is pretty darned American! My Bad!!

And, if you are turning this into a battle of me vs you, you can {removed insult. KEEP IT CIVIL!!}. You can assume I have some agenda, I don't. Just trying to enjoy a discussion of F150 vs Tundra. That's all.

Seems like a lot of folks on here are so worried about winning fights...I guess I'll try to stay against the grain and have a peaceful discussion.
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Potential for more claims, yes! But not for TSBs and recalls. That is simply an attribute of design. I don't care if 6x more F150s are out there. That doesn't mean necessarily the design is better. It is due to other factors most likely. If it were design alone, then most of us would be idiots as seen by the amount of problems these owners face (see carcomplaints.com).

But that's exactly why there would be more TSB's and recalls. Because different vehicles are used differently and the more of them you have out there, the greater the likelihood that a defect or issue is discovered that only occurs under a certain set of circumstances. Say oil field use for example, perhaps it causes a certain early failure model for a component that Ford chose to rectify via a TSB?

Quote:
Oh, and you were right, I was wrong, on the "more American" statement/claim. Want a cookie? Happy now?

Your sarcasm is unnecessary. You made a claim, I knew it was incorrect and proved that was the case. I was simply expecting you to acknowledge that fact in your next post. But you didn't, instead you changed the topic. I assumed you were simply avoiding it.

Quote:
I guess, I see the claim all the time how the Big 3 are more American. Looks like the Ford actually is. Tundra at #7 is pretty darned good, so folks should stop claiming it is some "[censored] ride POS". It is pretty darned American! My Bad!!

Of course it is. It was designed and produced in the US for the US and Canadian market, anybody with their head on at least half straight knows that. There would be no market for that vehicle in Japan or the rest of the world. Huge trucks are a North American thing.

Quote:
And, if you are turning this into a battle of me vs you, you can {removed insult. KEEP IT CIVIL!!}. You can assume I have some agenda, I don't. Just trying to enjoy a discussion of F150 vs Tundra. That's all.

And I would argue that it was civil until you just made it otherwise with this remark.

Quote:
Seems like a lot of folks on here are so worried about winning fights...I guess I'll try to stay against the grain and have a peaceful discussion.
grin.gif

Some fight, but many of us, at least the ones who have been here a while, like to debate. This involves facts, logic, and considering the opposition's viewpoint. It doesn't involve cursing and swearing (though I think most of us are guilty of succumbing to getting genuinely frustrated about topics we are particularly passionate about).

Hopefully this discussion can continue in a civil manner.

-Chris

didn't realize my acronym would be construed as UNCIVIL...heh. Oh and the other one that got bleeped out was short for "Japanese". I dunno about this place...

didn't realize my acronym would be construed as UNCIVIL...heh.

Whether you spell it out or abbreviate it, the meaning remains the same, doesn't it?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

But that's exactly why there would be more TSB's and recalls. Because different vehicles are used differently and the more of them you have out there, the greater the likelihood that a defect or issue is discovered that only occurs under a certain set of circumstances. Say oil field use for example, perhaps it causes a certain early failure model for a component that Ford chose to rectify via a TSB?

Quote:

Your sarcasm is unnecessary. You made a claim, I knew it was incorrect and proved that was the case. I was simply expecting you to acknowledge that fact in your next post. But you didn't, instead you changed the topic. I assumed you were simply avoiding it.

Quote:

Of course it is. It was designed and produced in the US for the US and Canadian market, anybody with their head on at least half straight knows that. There would be no market for that vehicle in Japan or the rest of the world. Huge trucks are a North American thing.

Quote:

And I would argue that it was civil until you just made it otherwise with this remark.

Quote:
grin.gif

Some fight, but many of us, at least the ones who have been here a while, like to debate. This involves facts, logic, and considering the opposition's viewpoint. It doesn't involve cursing and swearing (though I think most of us are guilty of succumbing to getting genuinely frustrated about topics we are particularly passionate about).

Hopefully this discussion can continue in a civil manner.

-Chris

Enough users of all kinds of uses have occurred on the vehicles that have been out for a few years now. There is enough data. The flaws have been exposed...on all vehicles. The fact that there are sooooo many Fords being used, doesn't negate the fact that there are many issues on them. Same with the Tundra. Just noticed, more issues with the Ford. I am not expert enough to decide the severity of all of these TSB/Recall/Complaints. And, as the saying goes, "aint nobody got time fo dat". I also don't have time for my truck to be sitting in the shop for repairs. So, I decided to get a Tundra, for my needs. FWIW, I don't drive in an oil field. Something tells me that most of the truck users out there don't drive in them either.

For those that do drive in oil fields, maybe they see Ford and RAM a lot because that is what the company buys and has contracts with. Doesn't mean others aren't capable, necessarily. I don't know. In addition, maybe these workers are using the HD version of the trucks, gasoline and diesels. Maybe they aren't all 1/2 tons...which would help explain the reason to contract with a mfg who has 3/4 ton and 1 ton options. And I they had these contracts, they most certainly would also buy the 1/2 ton varieties when the HD versions weren't needed. Makes sense, economically. But I don't know, just speculation on my part. Because, again, I don't work in an oil field.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Whether you spell it out or abbreviate it, the meaning remains the same, doesn't it?

Yes, what's your point? I didn't think it was uncivil. That's all I am saying.

Last edited:

Cursing would be considered uncivil by most, and this internet forum rules specifically prohibit it. Take it or leave it.

Cursing would be considered uncivil by most, and this internet forum rules specifically prohibit it. Take it or leave it.

thanks for your contribution to the topic, Pete
smile.gif

thanks for your contribution to the topic, Pete
smile.gif

You asked what my point was. Carry on.
smile.gif

I meant before that. You stated something before I asked the question.
wink.gif

Can anyone tell me the number of engine/driveline/trim/capacity variants that exist under the catch basket of "F-series", vs number of variants in the Tundra?

Does f series include 150, 250, the superduties and hf trucks up to 550 or wherever the chassis and can grows to the next kind of nearly tractor trailer type truck?

Does toyota even make a 3/4 ton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back