F150 vs Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guys on the RV boards are raving about the Eco-boost and are towing some pretty big/heavy rigs with them. A much better 1/2 Ton truck than the Tundra, Ram, GM offerings right now, this coming from a guy who will only drive GM vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
the Ford trucks are nice to look at! I don't know how they are to work on or reliability but they are good looking trucks. How about GMC or Chevrolet? I know about those.

As stated, unfortunately neither GMC nor Chevy have enough headroom.

Ford F-150 has 41" of headroom..Silverado has 41.20" so I don't understand the headroom issue. (data from Ford and Chevy websites based on 1/2 ton models)

Last edited:
Another vote for the ford, no contest. The interiors are very nice on the new trucks, specifically the lariat package and the gauge cluster...My vote is for the 5.0!

Not to mention the A/C seats!

Last edited:
i hear lots of good things about the f150s. the toyota are as stated above kinda ugly and just big.

Get the Ford. Great truck, we have several at work and they are just great all around vehicles. We have a mix of 5.0L a Ecoboost trucks.

If you want a poseur truck, get a Tundra or Ram. If you want a real truck to stand up to real work, you buy an F series or Chevy/ GMC. There is a reason crews that make money with their trucks buy Ford and Chevy vastly more than Ram... Sorry Mopar Fans but those are the facts.

My vote is on the F150. The Ecoboost is a beast and is the engine to beat in this class. Great HP, flat torque curve and decent fuel economy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
If you want a poseur truck, get a Tundra or Ram. If you want a real truck to stand up to real work, you buy an F series or Chevy/ GMC. There is a reason crews that make money with their trucks buy Ford and Chevy vastly more than Ram... Sorry Mopar Fans but those are the facts.

There are just as many oil and gas drilling roughnecks driving Rams as there are driving F-Super Duties and Chevrolet H/Ds. I see them virtually every day.
Of course, few drive half tons. Diesel is the preferred powerplant and the Cummins Rams are well represented. The Rams might actually outnumber the Fords and Chevies. Definitely outnumber the Sierras.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

There are just as many oil and gas drilling roughnecks driving Rams as there are driving F-Super Duties and Chevrolet H/Ds. I see them virtually every day.
Of course, few drive half tons. Diesel is the preferred powerplant and the Cummins Rams are well represented. The Rams might actually outnumber the Fords and Chevies. Definitely outnumber the Sierras.

I wonder if they buy the Cummins because of the Cummins or the truck? I know a lot of the Cummins appeal is that it is a "big rig engine".

The sales numbers through August sure show Ford and GM kill the Ram sales...
1 F series - 408,656
2 Chevrolet Silverado - 261,775
3 Ram Trucks -187,620
4 GMC Sierra - 98,545

It is interesting because it used to be that the Chevy/GMC combined would outsell the F series but now it looks like that is not the case.

Tundra's seem to get 3/4 ton fuel mileage, everyone I know with one complains about it.

At least an F150 will hit mid teens if you option it correctly.

Friend of mine has pulling pulling a lady friend around to her barrel horse shows. He has a Ram Express 1500 Hemi Quad Cab. Pulling two horses in a big tag slant load trailer. He has a 355 gear. A few folks that have ridden with him says his truck pulls great compared to other new 1500s. They said all the others grunt and scream and his just goes nice,smooth and quiet. One they talked about was a new 5.0 Ford. Said his Hemi seemed to tow same weight much better and easier. I pull a 6000 pound 5th wheel with mine. In this economy I'm done with import cars and trucks of anyones.

Last edited:

I wonder if they buy the Cummins because of the Cummins or the truck? I know a lot of the Cummins appeal is that it is a "big rig engine".

If that were the case, before the "Scorpion", why wouldn't Ford have stuck a big NAVISTAR badge in place of the PowerStroke badge? Or before the GMSuzu Duramax, why didn't GM advertise their diesel as a Detroit?

Instead of developing thier own diesels (GM in conjunction with with Isuzu, Ford with AVL Austria) why didn't they just source Caterpillar. If a Cummins badge sells Rams, wouldn't a CAT Diesel Power badge sell too?

Of course try both on for size.

A friend who was huge GM and Ford fan went over to a new Tundra.

Why? He got a lot more for trade in and better pricing/discount with Toyota. It was a much better value for him($8k for equivalent vehicles) vs Ford/GM. I think they have heavy incentives on Toyota currently.

I liked the previous gen Tundra. The new one looks like a caricature of a truck. It looks like it's trying to hard. Besides, the Ford has more configurations.

Originally Posted By: whip
I liked the previous gen Tundra. The new one looks like a caricature of a truck. It looks like it's trying to hard. Besides, the Ford has more configurations.

That's what I was trying to say! Your description is more succinct
thumbsup2.gif

If that were the case, before the "Scorpion", why wouldn't Ford have stuck a big NAVISTAR badge in place of the PowerStroke badge? Or before the GMSuzu Duramax, why didn't GM advertise their diesel as a Detroit?

Instead of developing thier own diesels (GM in conjunction with with Isuzu, Ford with AVL Austria) why didn't they just source Caterpillar. If a Cummins badge sells Rams, wouldn't a CAT Diesel Power badge sell too?

It would, and Ford is stupid for not jumping on board.

A nice say 3116 in the front of a Ford 3/4 and 1 ton would be great.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

It would, and Ford is stupid for not jumping on board.

A nice say 3116 in the front of a Ford 3/4 and 1 ton would be great.

To bad navistar builds CAT's OTR engines now.... Don't think that would fly with ford.

Last edited:
Another vote for the F-150! I'd go with the 5.0 just as a personal preference, but both engines seem to deliver a lot of power and capability with similar gas mileage.

My experience has definitely been that Ford builds reliable trucks that are built to work.

I am 6'7" and frankly don't understand your comments about the ergonomics of the Titan not working for you, and also the Chevy as being too small. I owned a Titan and I loved it, sold it because gas got expensive and having a full size pickup was just for vanity. I also fit fine in the new Silverados.

That being said I'd go with the Ford, out of the currently available options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back