Exxon/Mobil now supplying Super Tech oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting you mention this as I was in WalMart today and the new SuperTech oils all had different light-blue containers.

Now if only the 5 quart "full" synthetic jugs were filled with M1 for the same $12 price.
fruit.gif

[ June 17, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

Hmm... First I heard of this but interesting.

I wonder if Walmart worked out a deal with Mobil.

I did notice that Chevron (including Delo) is getting phased out of my local Walmarts. They now have more Delvac 1300 and just started carrying this oil in quarts.

I wish they would stock Delvac 1 (I know Truck/SUV is the same and already on the shelves).

Yeah I saw some of the newer light blue bottles also the other day at Walmart but only in the 20W50 grade.Would this stuff be like Superflo or Drive Clean?

And instead of their proverbial "falling prices," the base SuperTech moved from 84-cts/qt to 88-cts/qt. (+4.7%) not too long ago. Maybe in anticipation of a supplier change.

I saw the lighter bottles in the 20w50 as well.

when I walked over to the oil filters, they had lighter boxes and a very light blue filter inside... looked kinda cheap, and on the box it said 98% and 94% filtering instead of the old 98/99.... I wasn't too happy about that find, although it was just one number filter so far

quote:

when I walked over to the oil filters, they had lighter boxes and a very light blue filter inside... looked kinda cheap, and on the box it said 98% and 94% filtering instead of the old 98/99.... I wasn't too happy about that find, although it was just one number filter so far

Are you sure this was new? The first few months of supertech filters back in 2000ish were kind of a purplish blue.

I noticed too that the supertech oils went up to .88 from .84, that would be cool if exxon/mobil were the new suppliers, I guess a virgin analysis is in order.

Warren also molded the plastic bottles for the Supertech oil.

If someone gets the chance, check the new blue colored bottles for "WPP" (Warren Performance Products) molded into the bottom.

quote:

Are you sure this was new? The first few months of supertech filters back in 2000ish were kind of a purplish blue.

hopefully that's all it is.... although this was a different color from the blue it used to be before they changed them to black.

quote:

Warren also molded the plastic bottles for the Supertech oil.

If someone gets the chance, check the new blue colored bottles for "WPP" (Warren Performance Products) molded into the bottom.

I noticed the new bottles had W something on the bottom.. not sure what the next two letters were though.

A thought with no facts to back this up - but a recent post indicated some of the big oils want to protect their market share when the new SM designated oil classification comes out (September?). Some, and I think it was Exxon, were coming out much more quickly on the SM stuff than the industry thought would happen. This would be a easy way for Xon/Mobil to maintain or increase market share by selling the generic Wally-World brand in SM.

How about a simple answer - Walmart has changed the packaging color & Warren is now molding bottles from blue plastic resin?

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
How about a simple answer - Walmart has changed the packaging color & Warren is now molding bottles from blue plastic resin?

Party poop! How dare you attempt to silence a juicy internet rumor!

This is the reason that I stick with an oil company oil ie Pennzoil, Mobil etc. While SuperTech oil may be Exxon this week, who will supply it next week?? PROBABLY will be just as good but???

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
This is the reason that I stick with an oil company oil ie Pennzoil, Mobil etc. While SuperTech oil may be Exxon this week, who will supply it next week?? PROBABLY will be just as good but???

Of course never mind that some of the majors supply different formulations under the same name (US vs German Castrol Syntec and various Shell come to mind) and change Formulas at the drop of the hat with no notice to the consumer (ie Pennzoil LongLife is now just rebottled Shell Rotella T). And exactly how many different formulas of Mobil 1 10W-30 have existed?

Gene K

The old WM Supertech filters were light blue- when they changed to the current filter media with some synthetic fiber in it, they changed to the black filter & box. Is it possible the light blue Supertech filters you saw were old ones, mebbe discovered in a warehouse somewhere?

As far as Exxon/Mobil & the blue bottles- no idea.
tongue.gif

It's true--the SuperTech oil is now supplied by Exxon/Mobil. I don't know all the details of the decision to go from Warren to Exxon/Mobil but I do know 100% for sure that E/M will be supplying STech. I know that some of you still won't belive this info, but I promise you that I'm telling the truth.

quote:

Originally posted by liquidballbearing:
It's true--the SuperTech oil is now supplied by Exxon/Mobil. I don't know all the details of the decision to go from Warren to Exxon/Mobil

Sounds like a global, uniform product distribution decision to change vendors. Now, all we need is an analysis of the "full" synthetic product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back