Exxon/Mobil now supplying Super Tech oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
Yeah I saw some of the newer light blue bottles also the other day at Walmart but only in the 20W50 grade.Would this stuff be like Superflo or Drive Clean?

IF it is indeed an ExxonMobil product, there is no reason to assume that it is the same product you get with the Exxon or Mobil label. Wally's order is plenty big enough for EM to custom blend it for whatever Wally wants...usually the cheapest product that meets minimum spec.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by liquidballbearing:
It's true--the SuperTech oil is now supplied by Exxon/Mobil. I don't know all the details of the decision to go from Warren to Exxon/Mobil but I do know 100% for sure that E/M will be supplying STech. I know that some of you still won't belive this info, but I promise you that I'm telling the truth.

If this is true, and Supertech oil is now either mobil drive clean/exxon superflo. I wonder if the FULL SYNTHETIC supertech will now be Mobil 1
fruit.gif

Why? Wouldn't it be more likely that XON/MOBIL will change the additive package somewhat so the WallyWorld goup is a different product line than their current ones? I would think that would be simple for them, and expected. It just would have to meet the new SM requirements, I'm sure. Hey, take four 88-cent Mobil oil quarts, a few pennies worth of Lube Control, add a couple of $1.97 SuperTech filters, and drive 10,000 trouble-free miles. I guess this is the end of BITOG. It was a great web-site, in its day.

Today WalMart...tomorrow the World!

The blues bottles at my local Wallyworld are 5w30 and have wpp on the bottom of the bottle.The 10w30 are still the older gray bottles.

Actually, Warren Distribution is a blender & pakager, not a refinery. The Supertech oil API license is in Walmart's name, not Warren's.

The additive package may be spelled out per the license, but the base oil spec may allow any number of base oils on the market to be freely substituted in the formulation.

What Liquidballbearing may have heard is that ExxonMobil is now supplying the base oils for the Supertech formulations.

Some links to pictures of the Warren Council Bluffs,IA facility.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/wpp.html

Aerial view of Warren Council Bluffs Facility

Note that the tank storage capacity is over 4 million gallons for both oil & antifreeze products. Transportation access is by rail, river barge, and truck transport - nearby interstate highway.

Note: Edit to get the 1st link to work..

[ June 22, 2004, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Blue99 ]

I was at a local Walmart the other day to pick up some injector cleaner and I looked at the Super Tech oil after seeing this post. The Dino oil did not have WPP on the bottom of the bottle, the Semi Syn did have WPP on the bottom. So thats my 2 cents. I guess we shall see what happens.

Eric
01 Focus Zetec - Motorcraft 5w20
99 Maxima VQ30DE - Castrol Syntec Blend 10w30

How about its something as simple as Warren buys bulk oil from who ever gives them the right price, since they don't own a refinery they have to buy their base oils just like Amzoil does.

I just hope walmart gets those cool "widemouth" bottles-- they practically screw in to my valve cover oil opening on my saturns!
smile.gif

I can leave them to drip dry even in a stiff breeze.
smile.gif

In the boat forum there's a posting of suppliers for outboard oils. Both WPP AND Shell are listed. More speculation that Wal-Mart keeps multiple contracts and that formulas may vary from place to place as well as time to time.

Strange - I'm on business travel in Indiana and I stopped by a Walmart and noticed bright blue Supertech bottles next to the blue-gray ones. The new ones said "WPP" on the bottom too.

Is it just me, or is ST coming out with new viscosities? I hadn't seen 20w-50 ST dino before.

They also had Valvoline "Premium Blue" HDEO. And a bottle of SJ Syntec.

MR

I was at the local WM today and they had ST 20W-50 in the blue bottles.The other ST was almost completely gone.Maybe thay are switching the oil to all blue bottles.Anyway,I looked on the bottom of the blue bottle and it had the WPP stamp on it just like the old bottles have.Just my two cents.
dunno.gif

quote:

Yeah I saw some of the newer light blue bottles also the other day at Walmart but only in the 20W50 grade.Would this stuff be like Superflo or Drive Clean?

I'd much prefer SuperFlow over DC.

Fred..
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:

quote:

I'd much prefer SuperFlow over DC.

Fred..
smile.gif

My understanding....

Warren still blends the SuperTech but the Light Blue Bottles are blended using Exxon/Mobile Base Stocks.

I suspect the Formulation MAY have changed to suit the new base stock.

VOA's anyone?

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
Warren still blends the SuperTech but the Light Blue Bottles are blended using Exxon/Mobile Base Stocks.

Why on earth would they change the color of the bottle based on a change in the base oil supplier?

With all the discussion about ST, I'm not sure I ever knew who formerly produced the base stocks. Does anyone know? Would they bother shifting suppliers unless it was as a preliminary move to SM-- i.e. more group II or II+? I always thought Mobil Drive Clean had a lot of group I in it, hence its extra cleaning ability.

[ June 24, 2004, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back