Exxon leaving southeast region?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little off topic, but Exxon is big.

As related to me by an Exxon district manager in the mid 80's:

In the late 70's, in order to prepare the way for the "Windfall Profit Tax", the Carter administration wanted to see the real money numbers from the oil companies. Under guise of a full "crawl up your a**" IRS audit, the feds got ready. Exxon was first on the list.

Exxon accomodated by giving the federal audit team (100+ people) an entire floor of one of their office buildings as well as access to all documents the feds requested. The audit team wanted not just end reports, but the raw numbers as well so the accountants could verify everything. Remember this was before the time of PCs, cheap data storage, and the internet. It was the age of paper.

Paperwork/reports/statements came into the office by the truckload, literally. Ton upon ton of paper (and crates of microfiche)quickly piled up. First the audit team was crowded out by the paperwork. Awhile later a structural engineer put a kink in the works by ordering the removal of a vast majority of the paperwork as it's weight was in excess of what the structure was designed for. A warehouse was procured for document storage, a warehouse that was soon packed to the rafters.

After 6 months the feds simply gave up as they did not have the resources available to do the job. The fed supervisor in charge of the fiasco said, "Never again. These guys are just too dam*ed big for us to audit."

Well, all that being remarkable, the WPT caused EXXON to issue company stock to all employees to disperse ownership of the money ..without having to truly part with it. I received 3 shares of this stuff in 1977 ..and never put a dime into it. It's averaged 12%+/- over the 32+/- years I've held it.

THANK YOU WPT!!!

Curious what will happen in Canada. Up here, Esso stations are fairly common, and the Esso name is well-known in the market. I don't buy much gas from Esso, as they are never the cheapest, have any real 'reward' or discount program (ie, the Canadian Tire money I collect), and a minor complaint, but their pumps are always really slow.

Maybe one percent of XOM branded stations in Los Angeles are Exxon. I dont know why they exist with Mobil stations seemingly every few blocks. None are company stores. Do the owners have some very old pre-merger franchise agreements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back