Extract and fill on a Ford AX4S capacity

Still looking at getting my sisters old 2000 Ford Taurus. It has the 3.0 Vulcan and AX4S automatic transmission. The fluid doesn't look horrible and if shifts fine other then a bit of a bump going into drive or reverse, may be normal but I'm not sure. I am looking to change the fluid out but am interested in simply extracting the fluid from the fill tube using an oil extractor.

Does anybody know how much fluid comes out via the dipstick tube on these? I plan on using Supertech Mercon V but only want to purchase enough for the change.

If I can get away with doing an extract and fill that's the method I would prefer. Less messy and no need to purchase a new pan or gasket.
The potential mess was intimidating to me before I did a pan drop and filter change on the Crown Vic I recently sold. I ended up buying a replacement pan with drain plug. Before I dropped the OEM pan, I used a self-tapping sheet metal screw to make a hole in the OEM pan, and let the fluid drain through said hole. That way, when I dropped the pan, all of the fluid that was going to run out of the transmission was already gone, so it ended up being no more messy than an oil change. Also, the pan gasket was reusable, so that was a win.

Not to say an extractor is a bad idea - I just mention the above because it addresses the issue of making a mess.

Insert the extractor tube till it stops pull it out and compare it to the dipstick to see if you’ll get anything. If you do it cold just measure exactly what came out and put that same amount in. If you only get a quart, oh well just put the same amount back in and call it a day.

I have a 2000 Taurus but my transaxle is the AX4N. I think you are on the right track with an extract and fill. In nearly 21 years of ownership the filter has never been that dirty. On the AX4N the pan gasket is reusable. On the AX4N I usually get between 6-7 quarts out into a bucket. I have used Supertech Mercon V and have never had any problems. Couple of problem areas from experience. The Vulcan has an iron block so coolant maintenance is important, otherwise heater core clogs. I would flush and refill the cooling system just for prevention. I am about to install my second camshaft synchronizer which is the equivalent of a distributor on the is engine. You will know when it starts to go out, starts making a noise like a chirping bird. On the Taurus forums it is important to use a Motorcraft part, not an after market brand. One other problem, though it may not be for you is the Vulcan tends to develop timing cover leaks for coolant. It is an interaction between the iron block and the aluminum timing chain cover. If slight just monitor fluids, if you need to take it to a shop will be a $1000-1200 repair. If capable of DIY will take you a good weekend. Good luck, at the right price and expectations should be a good purchase.

Scott

The Vulcan has an iron block so coolant maintenance is important, otherwise heater core clogs. I would flush and refill the cooling system just for prevention.

Those engines had some serious cooling system corrosion issues! Granted at 20 years old I guess it doesn't matter any more, but that's a vehicle you want to frequently change coolant.

Would it be so terrible to have a few extra quarts of fluid lying around? There are people here that have CASES of the stuff in their basement. Or just suck it out and THEN go pick some up. Or, return any extra bottles if you bought too much.

An update, the fluid extractor tube gets stuck on something in the transmission dipstick tube. I was unable to extract anything but air.

I had the same problem with 03 F150 4.6. Could only extract a couple ounces of ATF. Bought a replacement pan with drain plug and replaced it. I used OEM fluid. Best of luck!

What is the OD of the fluid extractor tube you are using?
Skinny! Not sure, but the tube goes in the dipstick tube just fine. You can hear and feel a clunk when the tube hits some obstruction. No amount of pushing or finagling was able to get it further down.

I had the same problem with 03 F150 4.6. Could only extract a couple ounces of ATF. Bought a replacement pan with drain plug and replaced it. I used OEM fluid. Best of luck!
I ended up dropping the factory pan and installed a new filter and gasket.

Back