Extra extra deep 7mm socket...how / who?

Alright tool nerds, I've got a situation here and when I can't find a product I usually figure I'm doing something wrong:

I have an 80mm M4 stud that I'm using an electric screwdriver to spin down a nut on. As you can imagine even at "high speed" it takes several seconds to do that many turns. Problem is that my deep 1/4 drive socket is bottomed out before the nut gets to the bottom. What's the strategy? Is there a hollow 1/4 extension? An extra extra deep socket? 3d print a longgggg socket? Weld a tube to a cut in half socket and hope the chrome vapors don't cause cancer?

There is an extra deep 7mm socket with a 3/8" drive. Can you use that? They do make 1/4"-3/8" adaptors.

Look up CTA Tools 1176 Extra Deep Socket - 7mm on Amazon.​

VIM Tools makes an extra deep socket set in 1/4" drive: EDM400A.
Don't know if you can get the one 7mm by itself.

So the M4 stud should pass through the 1/4 square connection. I say weld a tube to it. Be sure to do this on a jig; a wobble will be noticeable. You shouldn't even need a deep socket, a sacrificial one from one of those cheesy kits should do fine.

Thanks all for the suggestions! While browsing around I found that McMaster has really good CAD models of their sockets so I modified this one to go from 2" length (default "Deep") to 4" length (extra extra deep). It'll get printed out of glass reinforced resin for a few bucks. I also made a 12mm version to test the failure strength of these things since I'm mildly interested now in how mechanically strong that resin is and stuff like dimensional accuracy.

1716172192388.jpg

To answer a couple of other questions:
-No I can't cut the stud...it's that long to accomadate other things on the stud besides just the nut.
-Yes I can use a wrench, or even take the socket off and hand spin it with the stud sticking through. But I'm aiming for quick assembly where I can ram the nut down in one operation.

So the M4 stud should pass through the 1/4 square connection. I say weld a tube to it. Be sure to do this on a jig; a wobble will be noticeable. You shouldn't even need a deep socket, a sacrificial one from one of those cheesy kits should do fine.
This likely woulda been my approach. Of course having a couple lathes around helps :)

Back