Extended Gaurd Filter OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am due so at walmart today the Motorcraft 820s were out of stock. In a pinch although costingtwice as much as the Motorcraft I Chose the Farm XG2. Does anyone think this will be a problem in my 4.6l 3v explorer? 7500-10k mile OCI's

Fram Extended Guards are good filters, I'd use one without hesitation. I don't mind the Tough Guards either... even with the cardboard endcaps. I cut one open after using it and it looked perfect.

IMO the XtraGuard series shows Fram can make a good filter if they want to. They are designed for extended OCI's and appear to be well made. My filter stash includes several XG filters.

Just don't try extended OCI's on the regular Orange Can filters.

The Xtended Guard is a good(well made) extended OCI filter from Fram, I'd have no problem using it.

My only reservation, as crazyoildude mentioned, is that sometimes non Motorcraft filters can exhibit a start up rattle in a Ford. I say this because my son has an 05 2V 4.6L that had it when not using a MC filter.

You could certainly try it, if no start up noise then great. If you get it then you could decide if/how much it bothers you, then swap it out. But the XG ( believe it) is a solid filter from Fram.

It is because people can not read (and/or do not read before posting) and they like to follow the crowd. The Extended Guard filter is a good filter and will work fine for the OP.

Thanks Everyone, I plan on running it. If it results in any noise it is easy enough to swap out. I don't have a problem running the motorcraft to 75000-19k> The Extgended Gaurd should be just as good.

Gotta hand it to fram for their clever marketing, (extra guard,xtended guard). I suppose that when you cheap out on most of your oil filters that leaves plenty of money to spend on marketing.

Although I admit, the xtended guard is a decent filter.

The Extended Guard filter is a high quality extremely well built filter. Check out this thread : http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/31190-oil-filters-dissected.html

You'll see the Extended Guard is top notch from A to Z. It's one of the rare filters to use synthetic blend media instead of [censored] paper.

I'm currently using one(XG3600) on my Jeep and I will most definitely use one again at my next OCI.

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
The Extended Guard filter is a high quality extremely well built filter. Check out this thread : http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/31190-oil-filters-dissected.html

You'll see the Extended Guard is top notch from A to Z. It's one of the rare filters to use synthetic blend media instead of [censored] paper.

I'm currently using one(XG3600) on my Jeep and I will most definitely use one again at my next OCI.

I agree, it is to bad people on here hear Fram and assume everything is the same.

After seeing the guts of a FRAM XG, I'd use that one. Looks well built and I just like metal end caps.

I'm using a Fram XG filter on my Corvette right now! These are very well made filters and I like the fact that they are easy to find up here and when on sale they cost only $9.99 each. NAPA Golds have crept up to $14 here and rarely go on sale plus there is no NAPA in my regular travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back