Explain difference in AWD '05 RAV & '19 Santa Fe

In regard of towing:
Somehow a vehicle (a car or CUV) loses its all towing capability when it arrives in the USA.
Be it Volvo, BMW or Hyundai. It cannot tow.

Krzyś
The Great North American Towing Controversy. To be fair, the rest of the world runs lower tongue weight and lower max towing speeds, dunno about wild climate differences (it is a bit warm in some areas here), but it has been well noted that somehow things change on our continent.

In regard of towing:
Somehow a vehicle (a car or CUV) loses its all towing capability when it arrives in the USA.

Krzyś

IMHO-the rear Springs were too weak on the previous generation Santa Fes (6 seater-XL) for towing. Some guys up graded to the Veracruz springs that were slightly thicker.

I run RT43s all year long with my wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL-AWD. It's an excellent setup.
Wife runs the same on her 2018 VW Tiguan and is incredibly capable winter driver and loves them. I plan on replacing my 2015 Pilot LX tires with those once the installed Kelly junk wears out.

With respect to OP, pure tires issue, AWD does nothing for hydroplaning.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
I've had 4wd 70s trucks, Scout, Blazer, pickups, 2wd & 4wd dump trucks, always had to lock the hubs and floor shifter, in my former snowplowing business so that's what I'm use to. For the most

We had a 2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD. It went well through the snow and in the rain, or pouring rain, I felt very safe on the Interstate at 70mph, most of the time having traction, seldom hydroplaning, Michelin tires. I always felt whether rain or snow the AWD was pulling me through. Everything I expected in AWD.

Now we have a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL+ AWD, Hankook tires. On the Interstate, in the rain, I'm scared. I've hydroplaned so many times, I slow down to 40-50mph and even at that speed I don't feel safe. The few light snows I've had here, I didn't feel I had traction, or had wheel spinning.

Is it the type of Hyundai's AWD or is it the tire tread or brand, that is not giving me the traction?

I've found that it pays to use the lock button, otherwise the AWD can engage/disengage multiple times per corner, switching between under and oversteer. But thinking now, I am not sure the 2019 still has such a button. The lock only works at low speeds though, below 40 ish

In regard of towing:

Krzyś

It's a tongue weight issue mostly. If I understand correctly, most trailers in the US are setup for 10% tongue weight, but in Europe 5% is closer to the norm. If the towball download is limited to 150 pounds, the max trailer weight works out to 1500 pounds but could be 3000 or more in europe.

In regard of towing:

Krzyś
The US has no laws in regards to towing maximum speeds with van/truck and additionally cars.

Europe has laws that max out speed between 80-100 km/hr dependent on weight and van/truck vs SUV/car. The lower tow limits or none make a lot more sense.

I've found that it pays to use the lock button, otherwise the AWD can engage/disengage multiple times per corner, switching between under and oversteer. But thinking now, I am not sure the 2019 still has such a button. The lock only works at low speeds though, below 40 ish
The AWD lock (at least in my 2017 Santa Fe XL) will disengage above a given speed. I would have to look at my manual to know what speed.

Your RAV4 probably had 215 width tires and the sante fe has 235 or 255 width tires. Also the Sante Fe may have more rear toe and camber, which makes it safer on dry pavement, but too much on the snow and ice makes the rear end nervous as the tires can slip as they push against each other.

I've had 4wd 70s trucks, Scout, Blazer, pickups, 2wd & 4wd dump trucks, always had to lock the hubs and floor shifter, in my former snowplowing business so that's what I'm use to. For the most

We had a 2005 Toyota RAV4 AWD. It went well through the snow and in the rain, or pouring rain, I felt very safe on the Interstate at 70mph, most of the time having traction, seldom hydroplaning, Michelin tires. I always felt whether rain or snow the AWD was pulling me through. Everything I expected in AWD.

Now we have a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL+ AWD, Hankook tires. On the Interstate, in the rain, I'm scared. I've hydroplaned so many times, I slow down to 40-50mph and even at that speed I don't feel safe. The few light snows I've had here, I didn't feel I had traction, or had wheel spinning.

Is it the type of Hyundai's AWD or is it the tire tread or brand, that is not giving me the traction?
Hydroplaning = tires, not the AWD system.

After today's snow, the tires slip in slushy parking spaces, it's the tires. Wife wants to run them out then get new tires. Me, for a few hundred dollars, I want the safety of good tires.

Me, for a few hundred dollars, I want the safety of good tires.
This, and i wonder how many times a conscious effort to buy "better" has saved your but.
Was on an icy lot with my JGC with studded tires over the holidays. The ice was hidden under fresh snow. Was driving at a walking pace, if I didn't have studs, I would have slid into a parked car.

This, and i wonder how many times a conscious effort to buy "better" has saved your but.
Was on an icy lot with my JGC with studded tires over the holidays. The ice was hidden under fresh snow. Was driving at a walking pace, if I didn't have studs, I would have slid into a parked car.
I agree completely, the money is unimportant. In an accident the deductible alone would pay for the tires. Using the same line of thinking, I always bought the best brake pads/shoes feeling for $10-$20 more, if I could stop even 6" shorter, that may be the difference between stopping or hitting the car in front. In this case it's not my car though I drive it, girlfriend or 34 years together. I'll work on her.

Back