Experience with Service Pro oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if there are people who really watch the quality of the oils, for real. I usually get name-brand oil researched, blended, engineered, and tested by companies with their own vast test equipment and money and let them stand behind their oil.

That said, API and ILSAC (& PQIA) should make it all OK to buy from whatever brand we see at 7-Eleven or bulk oil auction.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The Service Pro brand oil we carry where I work is made by Warren Oil (not WPP) and it is pretty inexpensive. I've bought several cases of the 0w-20 full synthetic and the 5w-30 Dexos 1 full synthetic to try out.

SP doesn't make their own stuff?

No, which is backed up by them naming one of their product product data sheets "SP-WarrenOilSpecspackaged.pdf"

It used to be made by Citgo. The bottom right of each page says something along the lines of "SPWNSYNB" The SP is obvious, but the WN means Warren. Back when it was made by Citgo it said CT or something instead of WN.

I just looked at data for the Service Pro oils. They all meet API SN certifications. Looking at their data does not cause me to think it is junk or bad oil.

In that engine, which I have experience with, that oil should provide good service. My Jeep engine is not picky about oil. I bet your engine does just fine with that oil

If you're running an oil change shop, and you have a "don't care" bulk oil cheapo oil change offer, then Service Pro is a possibility. Or, if you have a Pennzoil sign up front to attract more customers, and you pump in Service Pro oil in your Pennz drums at night when nobody's looking, as some unethical dummies do, then again, Serv Pro is your oil!

For all we know, any SN-GF5 oil is all identical anyway, we think.

It's funny that everyone who uses or inquires about this oil lives in Michigan. I've used the syn-blend several times, all purchased from ACO hardware. I believe they have a syn-blend and a full synthetic. Both are API SN rated with the starburst. Use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: car51
We use the full syn 0w20 for our stuff that requires it without issue

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
We use it at our Shop here, Its a great oil. no concerns at all

How would you ever tell if it was great or not?

It disappears inside a car engine, and that's that. I could do that with a blend of GroupI and GroupII oil with only half the normal additives inside there and never even know.

So please explain how you think you'd know if there was better oil out there.

It looks like some of it is API licensed but some is not? A little difficult to tell from the product data and "servicepro" doesn't come up on the API website.

Originally Posted By: tig1
No why to know until you run it for 200K in the same engine.

Okay.
We had a few CVPIs in the fleet at work.
They were run on SP oil and oil filters.
One engine was opened up at around 180K for timing chain replacement while another had the same at around 150K for valve guide seal replacement.
Both were perfectly clean and looked really nice.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Service Pro can't be just a regional oil in the mid-west because I know a Philadelphia area distributor carries it.

It isn't. It is big in Montana, whether people know it or not. We distribute millions of gallons of it per year in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, North and South Dakota. Millions of cars are driving around with it in their sumps.

Town Pump, a huge regional chain, sells it on their shelves.

The majority of oil changes being done in my town are with Service Pro bulk oil that we have delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back