Expensive Nissan CAFs vs. other brands

I try to buy oem filters even for older cars if they don't cost too much more, but $41 is way too much for a plain cabin filter from Nissan.

IMG_3027.JPG

It's not even charcoal and at my price of $26 it's still too much. I'd order a $3 Ultra power or $4 Bosch filter from Rock Auto if I needed other parts, but most likely get the Bosch locally for under $10. They look identical, except for the dirt of course.

61Addz21e+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've ordered the "collapsible" Nissan CAFs from RA in the past for my Nissans. No issues at all. These are a real joy aren't they? You generally destroy these suckers getting them out, so there's rarely a chance to inspect and re-install. Have to plan to replace.

Just yesterday I bought a Fram "premium" CAF from Walmart for my 2022 Nissan Frontier. It was like $20. All they had was Frams in stock of course. It was not until I got the 5 screws out, removed the whole glovebox assembly and fuse block as required to get at the CAF for a 2022+ Frontier that I discovered this P/N is not even close to the right part. First time I removed it from this vehicle.

I do NOT miss having to change the CAF on my formerly owned 2014 Altima!

I have always wondered how stoned the Nissan “engineers” were when they came up with the location for the CAF.

Clearly it was beyond the scope of their engineering expertise to place it behind the glovebox like so many other Asian carmakers have successfully done.

I see little to no value in buying "OEM" cabin air filters. On cars that are easy to change (our '12 Civic), it gets a Walmart/Supertech $10 filter that I check yearly (and replace soon after if needed).

I do NOT miss having to change the CAF on my formerly owned 2014 Altima!

Clearly it was beyond the scope of their engineering expertise to place it behind the glovebox like so many other Asian carmakers have successfully done.
In my '08 G35, the filter is behind the glove box, it's just that you have to remove the entire glove box and surrounding dash bits. It's 8-10 screws, some quite tricky to reach, plus various clips. You either need a 2nd person to hold it in place while you blindly run a few screws in or you contort your legs and knees and an arm to hold it in place while getting some screws in. One of the built-in, large clips on mine was either broken (by a dealer tech, no less) or by me. It was broken the first time I changed mine....

I see little to no value in buying "OEM" cabin air filters. On cars that are easy to change (our '12 Civic), it gets a Walmart/Supertech $10 filter that I check yearly (and replace soon after if needed).
I used to buy pleated furnace filters and cut out sections to use in my 03 Matrix. That was the first vehicle I owned with a CAF and replacements were stupidly expensive. Now it’s not worth the bother since I can buy generic ones for $3, but for many years I “rolled my own.” I still would in a pinch since they worked just fine.

I have to stretch out upside down in the passenger seat with the blood running to my head to change the CAF in my Rogue and Altima.. horrible design and like previously stated it destroys the old and new (if not careful) installing. I bought supertechs last time. Now knowing how horrible to replace they are I'd buy one with more longevity.

Now knowing how horrible to replace they are I'd buy one with more longevity.
Personally, I don't believe (or see how) one filter can last longer than another. They either catch stuff or they don't. The interval for replacing cabin (and engine) air filters seems to be 99% environment-based.

2017 Rogue 2.5L (family member's) CAF is literally and figuratively a pain in the neck to remove and more so to replace the CAF. Being an older guy, it's easy to crick the neck attempting the job. I hated it! After I finally got it in, wasn't 100% sure it was installed right, but I think so.

Otoh, just did a couple Honda CAF, EZ Peazy. Used cheapest I could find, Purolator Tech made in US<$6 each.

Yeah, Nissan OEM CAF price absurd. Think I used an Carquest CAF on the Rogue. I do think since installation requires serious filter bending, a bit better than cheapest quality could pay off.

My 2012 Versa came new off the lot without a cabin filter. Found out why when I attempted to install one. Gave up, that was 12 years ago. Might try again someday.

2017 Rogue 2.5L (family member's) CAF is literally and figuratively a pain in the neck to remove and more so to replace the CAF. Being an older guy, it's easy to crick the neck attempting the job. I hated it! After I finally got it in, wasn't 100% sure it was installed right, but I think so.

Otoh, just did a couple Honda CAF, EZ Peazy. Used cheapest I could find, Purolator Tech made in US<$6 each.

Yeah, Nissan OEM CAF price absurd. Think I used an Carquest CAF on the Rogue. I do think since installation requires serious filter bending, a bit better than cheapest quality could pay off.
I have done them on my neighbors Rogue with a bad back, prior to my back surgery.. If I'm not mistaken I have used TYC & Ecoguard in the past.

Back