K&N Washable Cabin Air Filter (1st Wash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Around $40 each compared to around $13-20 for equivalent paper.

14 Forester: VF2055

15 Legacy: VF2000

Cleaning Kit 99-6000
-spray cleaner and wait 10 min,
-rinse,
-air dry
-spray refresher and install

I didn’t log when I installed these, but its been at least 3 years. Yea, I know, I definitely should have cleaned them sooner. The smell after cleaning them is improved. It wasn’t bad before but the cleaning kit gives it a subtle pleasant odor.

I plan to do these at least yearly from now on.

FWIW, I’ve tried OE, Ecoguard, Bosch HEPA, FRAM, ATP, TYC, etc. They all seem to do just fine, except for two hits:

1. The Bosch HEPA lowered flow rate so much that I returned it after a miserably cold 4-hr trip in the winter. The Forester heater is barely adequate as-is. The HEPA choked flow too much and the the cabin remained cold the entire trip, even with heat on H and fan speed on max.

2. The cheaper filters always did a fine job, but after a year the pleats were not in the greatest shape. Never a problem with the high quality filters, like the FRAM Fresh Breeze (around $19 now).

The rubber surround and sturdy pleats are what sold me. The mix of flow and adequate filtration is also nice. Like the engine AF, the flow is at the expense of filtration. It’s not much different than the cheap AFs, but you can see light through the pleats pretty easily.

Hopefully the pics turn out OK. The one held up to the light is after cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_4999.jpeg
    IMG_4999.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4998.jpeg
    IMG_4998.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4997.jpeg
    IMG_4997.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4995.jpeg
    IMG_4995.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5009.jpeg
    IMG_5009.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 165
I have the K&N washable cabin filter on my Honda Civic and really like it. I clean it about twice a year. It has saved me a lot of money through the years instead of buying brand new throwaway filters. I just use dawn soap and water then a cold rinse and let it dry before installation. I didn't know Fram made one until I read the original post.

Looks pretty good.
I'm a fan of the 5$ cheapies on rock auto and tossing them.
Is that wire reinforced?
The wire might be nice if you have mice.
Agreed. I bought a couple dozen on rockauto for less than $3/each a couple years ago.

Looks pretty good.
I'm a fan of the 5$ cheapies on rock auto and tossing them.
Is that wire reinforced?
The wire might be nice if you have mice.

I’ll check tomorrow, but I don’t think it’s metal mesh

I have the K&N washable cabin filter on my Honda Civic and really like it. I clean it about twice a year. It has saved me a lot of money through the years instead of buying brand new throwaway filters. I just use dawn soap and water then a cold rinse and let it dry before installation. I didn't know Fram made one until I read the original post.

I probably should have done the same. I doubt there‘s anything magical about the K&N stuff

The mods were nice enough to update the title to K&N. Sorry for the confusion!

I‘ll pull one of them and check what the mesh is made of.

Been using VF2007 filter since 2016, now in Accord. I just rinse it out with lil soap and water and then spray leather scented spray on it. Smells like a Western Clothing Store minus the Copenhagen/Marlboro scent

K&N recommends a short cleaning interval 12 months/12,000 miles

Just cleaned mine at 11,400 miles in the car. Spray with simple green (big orange depot only has lemon scent at the time of purchase)

IMG_0865.jpeg

The initial stink from the cabin filter is gone when I start the car

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back