Expedition problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I thought you paid someone $450 last week to have it all fixed? What happened with that?

That's tomorrow.

I thought he was fired?

In this vid,your engine sounds perfect imo. Like others have said,if it had a knock,you could hear it blocks away! I'm with the others and leaning towards some kind've manifold leak.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I thought you paid someone $450 last week to have it all fixed? What happened with that?

That's tomorrow.

I thought he was fired?

Antonio was fired. He was the younger guy that *was* going to "Fix the whole blazer for $500 or $600" when he was a hungry and hardworking mechanic.. questionable methods, sure. But back in late 2013, when I was at Dunkin.. making people happy at the drive-thru. All the pretty ladies... that I wanted to be more than customers. Still do.. kinda..
smile.gif

^^ Fast-forward: He had a kid with his GF, became the manager of a shop, and now is fired from touching my cars. I "tested" him in the video with the other thread Even then: "It won't start, at all, because it has a code." 10 minute later: Much much cranking, but.. start. So, maybe fuel pump/pressure/compression issue on Blazer..

This new guy is my new Warehouse Supervisor's own family mechanic for a very long time.

Sam in Weymouth, MA is still cool to work on the cars...
Me? Well. We needn't go there...

And Corozal. (Is fixing the Honda, the same time as the "repairs" tomorrow.)

What I am doing now is seeing if I can communicate to my Manager so he can communicate to the guy that it may not be the Rod Knock.. in other words: To save an engine tear-apart that could just be an all spark plugs and that one coil tune-up. (Nevermind wires.)

So this thread is MOST productive...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
In this vid,your engine sounds perfect imo. Like others have said,if it had a knock,you could hear it blocks away! I'm with the others and leaning towards some kind've manifold leak.

This is the direction I am leaning...

.. and now I am very troubled, since both "mechanics" made faces and said "rod knock" (Well, Corozal said "engine noise.")

I think I see what is going on here.

It's not too late to back out..........................

You will have that "Revved to 3k RPM" video in the late afternoon.

Let's continue to discuss. WE CAN STILL SAVE THIS THING.

Actually.. the coil and plugs can still get changed, tomorrow. Maybe even with a new exhaust manifold. Engine open up nothing. Though, I wonder now....

A talk with Robert is in order.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

That's tomorrow.

I thought he was fired?

Antonio was fired. He was the younger guy that *was* going to "Fix the whole blazer for $500 or $600" when he was a hungry and hardworking mechanic.. questionable methods, sure. But back in late 2013, when I was at Dunkin.. making people happy at the drive-thru. All the pretty ladies... that I wanted to be more than customers. Still do.. kinda..
smile.gif

^^ Fast-forward: He had a kid with his GF, became the manager of a shop, and now is fired from touching my cars. I "tested" him in the video with the other thread Even then: "It won't start, at all, because it has a code." 10 minute later: Much much cranking, but.. start. So, maybe fuel pump/pressure/compression issue on Blazer..

This new guy is my new Warehouse Supervisor's own family mechanic for a very long time.

Sam in Weymouth, MA is still cool to work on the cars...
Me? Well. We needn't go there...

And Corozal. (Is fixing the Honda, the same time as the "repairs" tomorrow.)

What I am doing now is seeing if I can communicate to my Manager so he can communicate to the guy that it may not be the Rod Knock.. in other words: To save an engine tear-apart that could just be an all spark plugs and that one coil tune-up. (Nevermind wires.)

So this thread is MOST productive...

Good. Glad that you have someone competent to do the work.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Still leaning towards manifold. If it was rod knock, it would have blown up by now.

But get the plugs changed along with the coil to get rid of the misfire and to be certain that this isn't a loose plug.

Not necessarily. My buddy drove his 4.6L Mustang from Alberta to Ontario making "a noise". Ended up being #7 rod bearing. We rolled in a new one but there was still some noise, which we figured was #8 (which wasn't checked, the scope pointed us to 7). The crank looked perfect, it was just the bearing that was wrecked.

He had been out there doing dead cold "burn outs" with the bloody thing and that's when it started making noise
smirk.gif

Edit:

Also, as somebody else mentioned, exhaust manifold leaks tend to get quieter as the engine warms. The complete opposite from rod knock which will often be dead quiet when cold and then "show up" as the engine warms and the oil thins.

The OP put a medley of chemicals in the oil for the same reason he does a lot of things and so God only knows what actual viscosity is in the pan at the moment.

Cuban..)

What does the nationality have to do with it? You've been quick to point out "Cubans" in a prior post, and now you're pointing it out again.

I am going to lunch now. BITOG will get a full update vehicle about this around 3PM. And the truck will be... driven 10-15 minutes, from Roselle to Linden at that time.. should be fully warmed.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Cuban..)

What does the nationality have to do with it? You've been quick to point out "Cubans" in a prior post, and now you're pointing it out again.

Good mechanics.

Puerto Ricans stole my car.

There will always be ethnic strife. Japanese on Chinese, etc etc.

(Corozal is Dominican Republic.)

You know, if you were to buy the shop manual (on line subscription is about $25/year) for the Expedition, and then spend half as much time reading it as you spend posting on BITOG, you would have been able to fix this yourself...weeks ago....

An adjustment in the BITOG/work ratio in your daily time spent would really pay dividends....

Actually.. the coil and plugs can still get changed, tomorrow. Maybe even with a new exhaust manifold. Engine open up nothing. Though, I wonder now....

Let me get this straight. You still pay insurance (you had better be insured!) and are paying to repair at least two of these hoopties at once??!?

Im sory, its just ridiculous. If you at least put all the funds towards fixing one right, it would be one thing, but youre not doing yourself any favors with half repairs on these buckets.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You know, if you were to buy the shop manual (on line subscription is about $25/year) for the Expedition, and then spend half as much time reading it as you spend posting on BITOG, you would have been able to fix this yourself...weeks ago....

An adjustment in the BITOG/work ratio in your daily time spent would really pay dividends....

It's just that my situation is very, very similar to BladeCutter's Uncle in this regard, as to why I probably can't.

I remember changing spark plugs on my 84 2.8 Camaro. EASY. But it was frustrating for me to do..

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Let me get this straight. You still pay insurance (you had better be insured!) and are paying to repair at least two of these hoopties at once??!?

Im sory, its just ridiculous. If you at least put all the funds towards fixing one right, it would be one thing, but youre not doing yourself any favors with half repairs on these buckets.

We are each financing repair of our own... that sort of goes with the "acceptable" scenario you describe.

Yes, insured. We aren't the hooligans some think we are..

Nobody is saying anything wrong here. But is it as "ridiculous" now?

**Also... I am not sure that what you assert is fair. Honda got stolen, and the Expedition then "broke" about the same time as its recovery. Are we wrong, or not correct, in rising up, to deal with it? "Jersey Strong?"

You give good advice, and I think we have either respect or a mutual understanding for each other... (I'd still happily buy you a coffee or some such thing) but I want to understand you better. It's like when my Honda was took, I was free to grieve any way I chose, so long as it was legal. Past that? Any way I choose..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back