Exceptionally BAD oils, based on experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are all the time discussing here how good oils are and asking the peverbial question over and over again which oil is the best, or runs the best, or produces the best UOA's, but how about the OTHER end of the spectrum?

What are the oils that, even with today's SM rating and GF-4 approvals, are particularly BAD in both the personal experience department and UOA's, and possibly even look bad to start with by having an additive package that is lacking something, be it detergents, anti-wear, and such.

Let the debating begin...
starwars.gif

I had a problem years ago with Quaker State 2 stroke oil in a boat motor. It would ALWAYS foul the plugs. I learned to use only Mercury oil and the problem stopped. Since then I would not use Quaker State in anything although times have probably changed.

Over the years I have had bad results with two oils that have probably changed by now. First was quaker state. Second was Castrol GTX. Probably no comparison to the oils we have today but both proved less than satisfactory. Both where with British Sports cars which where very tough on oils.

To clarify my topic question: Bad oils in construction, weak in additive packages, consistenly bad in the UOA department, or personal gripes with a brand due to an issue with a particular engine that it was run in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back