Every oil is good, don't ask anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. SA and SB oils are not good oils.

If you follow your manufacturers specification for your vehicle you will never come accross a bad oil.

what do you mean by bad? I am sure most oils meet the standards on the package and some exceed the standards . Depends on the use if a super premium oil is needed or required.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

If you follow your manufacturers specification for your vehicle you will never come accross a bad oil.
It is not that the SA and SB oils are bad they are the wrong rated oil for a modern engine or actually any engine.

It's not so much that people are trying to weed out "bad" oils, it's that we're micromanaging to find the absolute best oil based on cost, basestock, addpack, ect. And since we all have unique needs, driving habits, climates, and most of all, vehicles, the questions and exploration will continue.

That's what I'm saying. Nearly all brands "meet" engine oil standards (if not all). Seems like everyday some is coming on here asking, "Oil gurus, is it good to use such and such oil brand in my car...?" Common answer: YES

If there is a bad oil brand, type, basestock, etc. please post. I would really like to know about those.

Bad oil??? Yup anything less than synthetic in your modern era Corvette.

SA and SB would meet the requirements of an old VW but not recommended anymore.

Originally Posted By: ewetho
Bad oil??? Yup anything less than synthetic in your modern era Corvette.

SA and SB would meet the requirements of an old VW but not recommended anymore.
a 1948 VW? Again the proper oil that is required by the Mfg. .The wrong oil doesn't make the wrong oil a bad oil .

Can you blame people for being confused when people slather all over 1 oil then another from month to month? And if I were a noob, I'd think Mobil 1 was recycled swine feces based on the nutty comments.

There's a lot of.... hyperbole around here sometimes.

SA oil is great for lubricationg door hinges or for mixing with atf and lubecontrol to break free rusty bolts etc... So I agree it is not a bad oil when used in an appropriate application. It should not be sold in a container even similar to a modern engine oil however.

Ahhh Symantics.

Point is, read your owners manual and follow it. If your manufacturer issues notice via TSB or other means that another oil is appropriate.. then take the new recomendation and run with it.

Monthly I make a point to brows the auto parts circulars (online) and take advantage of good sales. If that fails you can go to walmart and have an anxiety attack but get a good price.
I can go there today and get 12 qts of 5w20 and 2 oil filters for less than 29 bucks and have 2 oil changes on hand.. not bad.

Last edited:
It's not just about the oil quality, most oils are great quality, it's about using a given oil correctly in a given situation. Plain dino oil might be fine in one situation and not another. Short trips and engine design determine how and even if a certian oil should be used. Look at all the parameters an OLM will consider and then add in the variables of quality and composition and yes, there is plenty to learn.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

It is not that the SA and SB oils are bad they are the wrong rated oil for a modern engine or actually any engine.

Yes, I'm with Steve here. No ungood act gets unrewarded.

I agree there aren't any "bad oils", I want the oil that will reduce the most wear for the least cost available. longevity in my vehicles is the goal. I haven't had the experience yet to read UOA reports to determine which oil that is. So I asked.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
Any bad oil brands out there?

OK. This one doesn't look quite as good.

Supertech Synthetic 5w-30

Because 20 weight has less HT/HS viscosity.

If you read down more in that thread, the owner's air box wasn't closed properly.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Can you blame people for being confused when people slather all over 1 oil then another from month to month? And if I were a noob, I'd think Mobil 1 was recycled swine feces based on the nutty comments.

There's a lot of.... hyperbole around here sometimes.

Ha,Ha,ain't that the truth, ALL oil scientists !!!

Originally Posted By: JonnyHotcakes
It's not so much that people are trying to weed out "bad" oils, it's that we're micromanaging to find the absolute best oil based on cost, basestock, addpack, ect. And since we all have unique needs, driving habits, climates, and most of all, vehicles, the questions and exploration will continue.

Yes, we like the variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back