Alternating Oil Brands

FMC

Talking with a guy at work and he likes to alternate oil brands every oil change, so he will switch between Mobil 1 and Valvoline.

Is there any benefit to this ?

Aside from saving a penny on sales - there are no benefits.
I won't say that any harm is being done, but the composition (ad-packs, base oils, etc.) of those two oils is quite different, and I don't know the long term effects of constantly jumping between the two. But both are API SP, so shouldn't be an issue... Shouldn't...
I'd stick with one, or at least similar oils, such as Pennzoil and Quaker State for example.

I have seen some UOA's that might indicate switching between oils causes a temporary spike in wear metals but nothing alarming. However I have recently been testing different oils myself.

It won't hurt to test out different oils to see what your car likes the most but I don't recommend constantly switching for the life of the vehicle.

I find this theory interesting, as it is exactly opposite of a recommendation I was given about 20 years ago. When I was first considering switching from dino to synthetic motor oil, a clerk at an Advance Auto told me that it was recommended to pick a particular oil and stay with it. Although I have never followed this advice, I've often wondered if there was any merit to it.

Why makes no sense
Go cheap stay cheapvor stay with one brand
Alternate when on salecfor me

Reactions: STW
Seems like we just had a thread on here about this

I find this theory interesting, as it is exactly opposite of a recommendation I was given about 20 years ago. When I was first considering switching from dino to synthetic motor oil, a clerk at an Advance Auto told me that it was recommended to pick a particular oil and stay with it. Although I have never followed this advice, I've often wondered if there was any merit to it.
I was told the same thing 20 years ago too. I did it for ages. Now days I buy what is on sale, so now my oil always changes brands and viscosity.

Two things I realised over the years. First even if you buy the same brand, the oil formula is often changing and so negating the effect of consistency. Second, unless you have a collectable car, the body & bits will nickel & dime you as it ages, forcing you to get rid of it way before the engine wears out.

Considering the majority of the oil is drained each service, it won't matter much. Yes maybe 15% is stuck on parts and in other areas but like SR5 said, formulations are often changing in the same oil.

I can’t imagine it doing any harm, and if it does...then I’ve been harmed because I’ve always switched brands throughout my life. I’ve very rarely stuck to just one brand longer than two consecutive intervals. Maybe I shouldn’t be doing that, but I usually just went with whatever was on sale. I am planning on going with a boutique oil for my next interval though, we’ll see how long I stick with it.

since motor oils are compatible with other motor oils, and most similarly rated oils perform similarly, only difference in the end would be the cost.

Is it going to matter if the table salt you buy is Morton’s or Costco? Much the same with buying different brand oils fitting a particular spec.

I'm old-school, growing up in the age of only conventional oils, each with different base stocks and additive packs, mechanics I trusted advised to stick with one good oil as the additive packs would cause sludging when mixed. May or may not have been valid, but i followed it and never had issues. For the last 30 or more years have stuck with Mobil1 products, jumped into synthetics early. Has worked well for me. Never had a mechanical oil-related issue. Also not a fan of extended drain intervals, especially with the introduction of small-displacement DI Turbocharged engines. Have driven mostly Hondas since the 80's being somewhat proactive with maintenance, they've treated me well. At 76, I tend to stick with what works as it's easy to trip over $20 bills while trying to pick up pennies. I still change my own intake and cabin filters and wiper blades, everything else is done by a trusted dealer. I provide the oil, they provide everything else and do the work, works for me.

The guy at work who is using this method of alternating, see's it as beneficial.
It's not going to be beneficial. At best, it will do nothing at all, at worst, the oils have differing enough additive packages that each oil is removing and having to re-establish its tribofilms during each change, which is minutely increasing wear. Oils are designed to be miscible, but the standard does not guarantee that they maintain their performance or approvals, only that, when mixed, they don't split like mayonnaise (thanks @Shannow for that analogy). The most likely characteristic to be negatively impacted is the Winter grade due to the change in base oils and PPD's. That said, most API oils are very similar, so the likelihood of this being the case is extremely low.

Talking with a guy at work and he likes to alternate oil brands every oil change, so he will switch between Mobil 1 and Valvoline.

Is there any benefit to this ?
No benefits and only potential drawbacks due to constantly switching chemistry. However it's safe and unlikely to ever cause a noticeable problem.

Back