Ever had a total engine failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in 4 wheel vehicles. I have had engines blow head gaskets, but nothing that ever resulted in the engine being scrapped. Once, I spun rod bearings because I swapped the two caps by mistake, but that was quickly remedied as well - and a lesson well learned.

Summer of '77 - I was young, and got this idea that I should dump my beloved '71 Toyota Corolla for a domestic. I bought a '71 Chev Biscayne, yellow, with a black vinyl interior, 250 CID inline-six, and Powerglide. In retrospect, it was almost certainly an ex-taxi, and the 80,000 indicated miles were likely only the tip of the iceberg.

I was driving on the highway a few days later and heard a hollow knocking noise which got louder and louder. I thought it was a lifter. Suddenly there was a bang and the engine quit. Needless to say the starter wouldn't budge the engine.

I bought a Sears rebuilt which was OK but I only kept the car another few months. It was plagued with the double whammy of no power and terrible gas mileage.

250cc on a motorcycle seized up going down the freeway because the oil plug fell out. Entirely my fault since I was the last one to change the oil on it
frown.gif

BIL had a 99 bonneville 3.8 throw a rod. Upper engine looked dry and coked up through the oil cap. Another BIL lost a 96 cavalier 2.2 to a timing chain. It had been rattling but the car was only $300 so we let it ride.

I picked both of these turkeys out.
lol.gif

I had a Mercury Meteor seize up on me. I think it was a 65. It had a really small V-8 in it. V-6s today are bigger. I was in High School and being stupid racing a buddy. Oil pump was bad and couldn't deliver enough pressure. Boy was Dad ever mad at me. Can't blame him.

My 2001 Windstar would not start one morning. I thought I had a dead battery and finally got it to start with a battery charger hooked up to it. Immediate lower engine noise was obvious when it started. THe battery was fine but coolant had leaked into the combustion chamber and you can't compress water! Junked it a few days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back