'16 Pilot, Battery Failure? Long post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I forgot to mention that before the car sat for a month straight, it also sat in the garage for another 4 weeks and has been driven twice. I guess I should've removed the battery at all befor letting it sit

Originally Posted by mez
I don't understand how your battery dies so fast. All the cars i owned the factory battery last 8+ years then i purchase replacement at Walmart. My 2006 (was purchase 2005) Honda Ridgeline with 175K is only on it's second battery and it was replaced Sept 2014 from Walmart. It still fine.

Heat... A lot hotter on average in Texas than the northeast corner of the US.

Originally Posted by parshisa

So, here are my questions:

1. Are sudden battery failures common?
2. What could be the root/cause of this battery failure?
3. Can the accident my wife got into have anything to do with the battery issue?
4. Would low CCA that was revealed on the test warrant the battery replacement in your opinion?

Appreciate the suggestions

1. Very common, happens all the time.
2. Age, heat, bad connections and over voltage are the main culprits.
3. Probably not.
4. Yes.

Probably just a coincidence.

My grandma rear ended someone 2 years ago in her 14' Grand Caravan. It was a mild accident. Then after a few days the battery died. We didn't fix the van for almost a year so it sat, and the replacement has been fine for 13 months now. I was worried something might have been drawing it.

You didn't experience a sudden battery failure.

You experienced a battery aging to the point that it eventually reached a threshold where it was no longer reliably starting the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Probably just a coincidence.

My grandma rear ended someone 2 years ago in her 14' Grand Caravan. It was a mild accident. Then after a few days the battery died. We didn't fix the van for almost a year so it sat, and the replacement has been fine for 13 months now. I was worried something might have been drawing it.

There is an explanation if you understand wet battery design.

The particulate in the bottom shifts in the impact an accident, and shorts out the plates on one end of the battery. Normally you have to wait for it to build up a little higher until it gets that far.

Usually by the time a battery shorts, the electrolyte is exhausted anyway, and the plates are depleted as well. Modern battery designers are pretty good at balancing those design features, as it allows them to use the minimal amount of each component (lead, acid, plastic) and still avoid early in-warranty death.

I read about this somewhere, the main difference between say a 60mo and 24 mo battery is the distance of the plates to the bottom of the battery case.
I have no idea but I found it interesting that by just manipulating the height of the plates in the case they can set the batteries life expectancy. You may know more about this than I do, what do you think about that?

I would not consider this a sudden failure... The fact the vehicle started still though with a noticeable difference... is not a sudden failure.

If it was starting fine like normal . Then bam. A no start whatsoever... Not hardly even a click click when attempting to start it... Yeah then that is a sudden failure.

Originally Posted by HangFire

There is an explanation if you understand wet battery design.

The particulate in the bottom shifts in the impact an accident, and shorts out the plates on one end of the battery. Normally you have to wait for it to build up a little higher until it gets that far.

Usually by the time a battery shorts, the electrolyte is exhausted anyway, and the plates are depleted as well. Modern battery designers are pretty good at balancing those design features, as it allows them to use the minimal amount of each component (lead, acid, plastic) and still avoid early in-warranty death.

Yes this is a common phenomena. Battery plates shed material, and can get hard (low impedance) shorts, that result in a cell showing no voltage (10v battery), or high impedance shorts, that slowly deplete the energy in a cell, but contribute to the battery weakening.

Originally Posted by Trav
I read about this somewhere, the main difference between say a 60mo and 24 mo battery is the distance of the plates to the bottom of the battery case.
I have no idea but I found it interesting that by just manipulating the height of the plates in the case they can set the batteries life expectancy. You may know more about this than I do, what do you think about that?

That's an interesting theory. Managing shed materials from the plates is a consideration, but the BCI group numbers have to be maintained dimensionally. If the higher end batteries offer more cca, more rc, AND have effectively shorter plates, something has to give. So beyond a mm or two (which perhaps is all that is necessary), it's hard to see how this would be viable. That said, some higher end batteries offer higher cca (thinner plates, more surface), but also less rc (energy). Separators, current collectors, etc take up some of it, but perhaps cell dimensions do play in as well.

Only a cut apart would tell the truth.

Just get a new battery. 3 years on a stock battery is an average life span. Plus, factories....Honda or anybody else isn't going to put a high dollar one in as a stock battery, saves them money. All they are concerned about is getting through the 3 year unlimited warranty.

Well JHZR2 stole my thunder. Usually it is cheaper to balance out all design elements so everything goes at once. For short warranty batteries the plates are thinner so more shallow catch tray doesn't matter, the plates will be depleted anyway. Strange formats or tough requirements are the usual reasons to force one aspect to be the dominant failure mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back