Even too disposable a world for even me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Iam in the garage and I thought I was setting the flashlight on the work bench, but I was wrong and dropped it on the floor, wouldnt work, broke the light bulb filiments. So I go to Walmart. Two flashlight bulbs are $2, a new flashlight, same size and two D batteries, $2. I am about as Non-Green as we get, but do we just make anything repairable anymore, everything is disposable. No wonder most people dont take care of any of thier possesions such as cars, houses etc.. most are being raised in a world where its cheaper to replace then repair. Just ranting.

You won't be around in 50 years so why should you worry ?
21.gif

I recommend the LED replacement bulbs. Sure, they're horribly expensive ($8), but when you consider that you'll pretty much never have to replace them again (even if you drop the flashlight), AND they'll make your batteries last longer, they're a really great value.

Once you experience how BRIGHT they are and how they make everything soo much easier to see, you'll never go back to incandescents.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
21.gif

Thats very true and now that I think of it some kid may get excited about digging it up and finding it like when you find a 1950s coke bottle or glass oil jar. I could be making memories.

Thought of this too... Cordless phone battery wasn't holding charge after 1.5 years. Just wanted to replace the battery. New battery pack $19.99. Entirely new cordless phone... $9.99.. I felt bad having to buy and throw out most of the stuff in the box!

Well I'm glad you had a "being this wasteful has got to be bad" moment, even if you're not an environmentalist.
I've got a $40 headlamp that I use for chores at night for the last 5 years, its been dropped a dozen times onto my tile floor or knocked off my head and nothing has broken, not the bulb or housing.
I guess I could've got a $10 one but I'd probably be on the 13th bulb by now plus I'd be left in the dark at the worst possible time....
Just because they sell cheap khrap doesn't make it worth buying.

I can buy a new printer with ink cartridges for less money that the cartridges alone. I buy the printers and throw them out after I get the cartridges out of the box.

The whole thing sickens me. I just had to completely redo my bathroom shower because cartridges are too hard to get for the old valve.

I am greener than many here, but not a fanatic.

Buy what you can at your local hardware store, and you have a much better chance of getting parts when you need them.

I have this problem with my Garmin GPS. The map is horribly out of date (3 or 4 years old) but it just doe not make sense to buy a map for it since thats basically the cost of a whole new one.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I have this problem with my Garmin GPS. The map is horribly out of date (3 or 4 years old) but it just doe not make sense to buy a map for it since thats basically the cost of a whole new one.

Sell it on ebay for cheap so others can use it (like my mom).

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
21.gif

Your kids and grand kids will.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I can buy a new printer with ink cartridges for less money that the cartridges alone. I buy the printers and throw them out after I get the cartridges out of the box.

You are assuming that the ink cart from a new printer is the same volume, but they are not. Starter ink are frequently 10ml when the replacement is 40ml.

The whole point is volume and where are you buying from. The same Chinese light bulb can be sold for 1/10 of the retail if you buy them one container full at a time, or more expensive than a whole new flashlight if you only buy one, or them using cheap bulb in flashlight than the bulb in replacement package, etc.

In the end, at least in the US retail market, I found price as a function of the store's reputation, location, convenience, and marketing rather than how much it cost to make something or the quality of it.

Blame the retail and other gullible customers, they are the one that make you throwing away things rather than repairing them.

I can pay a local bloke to run a shop, where he vaccuum fills my old cartridges for way less than a retail newie.

He's got a family, and lives in my community, and a disposable printer is mostly oil from some far off place.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Sell it on ebay for cheap so others can use it (like my mom).

Ill just keep it. I can't afford to replace it and it works fine for most places.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

You are assuming that the ink cart from a new printer is the same volume, but they are not. Starter ink are frequently 10ml when the replacement is 40ml.

The whole point is volume and where are you buying from. The same Chinese light bulb can be sold for 1/10 of the retail if you buy them one container full at a time, or more expensive than a whole new flashlight if you only buy one, or them using cheap bulb in flashlight than the bulb in replacement package, etc.

In the end, at least in the US retail market, I found price as a function of the store's reputation, location, convenience, and marketing rather than how much it cost to make something or the quality of it.

Blame the retail and other gullible customers, they are the one that make you throwing away things rather than repairing them.

I always check to be sure they are not starter cartridges with a new printer. Many printers come with full cartridges. Laser printers tend to have starter cardridges. I re-fill my laser printers with e-bay refill kits. I have also re-filled my own ink many times, and that works with some printers. Some will not allow a cartidge to ne used again (it may need a modification)

WM is a poor metric to judge by. They have 12 inch bike tires for $13 or whole new bikes for $40. Not even including tubes.

I actually like their dorcy 2 aa flashlights with batteries and replaceable bulbs for under $1. Good for glove boxes etc.

Ever watch Mayberry RFD? Emmett's fix it shop.

Funny and sad at the same time when you see him fixing clocks and toasters and such.

Toasters used to be a major appliance investment. They were build for a lifetime.

I think the Polaroid Swinger started the whole thing ..or at least was a landmark item. Right along with the Proctor Silex modular small appliance. Suggested retail $19.99 ..but those instant developing film packs ($$$). Retail scams, basically. Marketing magicians that flash you a low price in one hand, while the other one is really deep into your pocket for the aftermarket costs.

At some point in the future this whole Wal Mart philosophy will collapse and we'll all be hosed, because there isn't an alternative anymore. The system is based on two things:

1. Petroleum supply is endless, and will always be cheap. Of course neither of those are true.

2. The US can continue running massive trade deficits with China without effect. This is also not true.

So hey, let's all head down to Wal Mart and get some more $1 bin stuff. Pretty soon manufacturing will be as dead as the dinosaurs in the US. Then everyone can sit in cubicles all day, and do jobs that could most likely be fully handled by a decent software program.

Or if you don't like cubicles you can work AT Wal-Mart. Who needs independently owned businesses when Wal-Mart has it all under one roof! (gas station, optometrist, pharmacist, clinic, tire store, hardware store, gun shop, sporting goods store, shoe store, grocery store, auto parts store, liquor store, and hair salon) I swear that I can smell desperation, servitude, and B.O. every time I walk into that place. (Which is as little as possible.)

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Ever watch Mayberry RFD? Emmett's fix it shop.

Funny and sad at the same time when you see him fixing clocks and toasters and such.

My wife and I were just talking about that. It really wasn't all that long ago that it was very common to have a repairman work on vacuums, TV's, stereos, and just about every household appliance. Nowadays, it seems like it's just easier to DIY when possible and when not, to trash the item and buy a new one.

Even when something needs to be repaired, a company will just send you a refurbished unit and not bother line itemizing a repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back