EV vehicles and crash safety

According to a quick internet search, the 2010 Ford Escape I had previously weighed pretty much exactly the same as my 2017 Chevy Bolt EV.

Yes, an EV weighs more in the same vehicle size class (if we compare the 2017 Chevy Bolt to the 2017 Honda Fit the Fit is about 1000lbs less), but nobody is on here complaining about the weight of Ford Escapes... so really, what is the weight issue?

So for those bothered by EV weight, what is your suggestion? Regulation? Road tax? And at what weight would this begin? What rational would be used for selecting this weight? Would ICE vehicles of similar weight be included? How about mandating a weight cap for the manufacturers?

Slippery slope

For any given platform (generically), the EV option (pure EV or even a hybrid) always weighs more; often substantially more.
F150 vs Lightning
Escape vs Escape Hybrid
Rav4 vs Rav4 EV
Camry vs Camry EV
etc ... you get the idea

The electrification of propulsion does not lighten a vehicle; to the contrary it ALWAYS makes it heavier. Sometimes much heavier; 30% or more depending upon each unique criteria. OEs struggle to take ounces out of every component of an ICE vehicle, but then are forced to put tens of pounds back into the same general platform to satisfy the range/power requirements desired by the consumer.

So for those bothered by EV weight, what is your suggestion? Regulation? Road tax? And at what weight would this begin? What rational would be used for selecting this weight? Would ICE vehicles of similar weight be included? How about mandating a weight cap for the manufacturers?

Slippery slope
I think because EVs are being rushed to market so fast many things remain unaddressed. There really isn't anything you can do about the weight based on the current battery technology and if you mandate a weight limit the auto makers then cannot deliver a vehicle to meet expectations of the consumer. Reducing weight would reduce range capacity as well as other metrics necessary to make the EV viable for daily transportation. I would favor some sort of road tax on the EVs that hit a certain weight due to their effects on the roads and that they are not contributing via gas taxes to maintain roads. I do believe some states are adding a tax to registrations of EVs to offset some lost gas tax revenue but I am sure it's not enough. They share the roads and should pay accordingly like ICE vehicles. But getting back to the weights - with all the ICE trucks on the roads that weigh similar can we really complain? I am still debating that in my mind but I am more concerned about the lack of gas tax paid by EVs that use the roads that ICE vehicles pay for. This is what happens when things are rushed into production by gov't mandates and pipe dreams...we all sort of lose! Don't even get me started on how the power grid is not ready or how more pollution is made to make an EV then the public realizes...they are not green at all.

Back