EV sales rise and key revenue from gas tax plunges

Tax the electricity that is used to charge EV’s, it’s being used as fuel so if people have to pay tax on gas/ diesel they should on electricity as well. A meeter should be fitted to the charger that can be read and the correct amount charged/ paid.

Even people with solar should have to pay it.

Only other option is remove all tax from gas/ diesel
Not so much as remove it as use the exact same method for both. Hard to argue fairness if the same fee is charged the same way for all vehicles.

But you still pay less than your rich neighbor that drives a Tahoe.
Depends on how much I drive each car, right? The Model 3 sees maybe 3800 miles per year... I think my current "Current Transportation Improvement Fee" is $150, if I understand the calculation. So almost 4 cents per mile this year. I should drive this car more!!!!

But overall yes because I mostly fuel it with solar panels which helps to maximize the benefit of the asset.

At about 24mpg using those numbers. It’s a small car and if I was ICE I’m sure I would do north of 30mpg and the car did 6,500 miles.

Unless I’m missing something I see $0.33 a gallon doubling the miles paid for in your example which would be way over my usage. That’s directly from revenue.WI.gov.
I’m sorry, I thought you were in CA. My mistake on the taxes. 0.33 is less than we pay in VA.

Not so much as remove it as use the exact same method for both. Hard to argue fairness if the same fee is charged the same way for all vehicles.
I agree taxes are never fair. Its impossible to be "fair" on road fees, unless the roads become toll or they track your mileage somehow.

So the next most "fair" way is to charge all comparable vehicles approximately the same irrelevant of power source. The only realistic way to do this is charge an EV the equivalent gas tax used at some average rate per year, on your registration.

Maybe they should just do away with gas taxes at the state level and add it to everyone's registration?

I agree taxes are never fair. Its impossible to be "fair" on road fees, unless the roads become toll or they track your mileage somehow.

So the next most "fair" way is to charge all comparable vehicles approximately the same irrelevant of power source. The only realistic way to do this is charge an EV the equivalent gas tax used at some average rate per year, on your registration.

Maybe they should just do away with gas taxes at the state level and add it to everyone's registration?
It would be using the exact same method.

Do a weight-based annual registration fee.

Road damage goes up by the fourth power of axle weight, but, realistically, anything under 6000 lbs gets lumped together by most states for simplicity. If we were trying to actually be fair, semi trucks would have to pay even more, but I'm ok subsidizing infrastructure we all benefit from.
Semi’s do pay far more in fuel taxes and registration fees for the truck and for the trailers

It seems to me the most equitable is mileage and weight. Retired people are generally living on reduced income and driving mileage.
Car crazy people like me would get dinged by number of vehicles. The bro dozers would be the lucky ones...

In the meantime, we just pay and pay... What's a poor boy to do?

It seems to me the most equitable is mileage and weight. Retired people are generally living on reduced income and driving mileage.
Car crazy people like me would get dinged by number of vehicles. The bro dozers would be the lucky ones...

In the meantime, we just pay and pay... What's a poor boy to do?
I agree on the equitability of mileage x weight - but if I drive the Packard, say, 200 miles, then, I am not paying much, right?

So, a poor boy like you (or me) would be paying based on use, and not the number of vehicles, but on your share of the road use and wear. Seems equitable. People in lower income brackets are the ones who pay the most in gasoline taxes any way - older, less efficient cars, the fuel cost is a higher percentage of income - so, basing it on miles really is the most equitable.

And the bro-dozers? Based on weight, so they’re paying more than the Olds or the Vette.

Every tax on earth is progressive.

I wish that were true, fees, fines and notary are regressive (in the USA at least). Property taxes are mostly regressive as well with higher take rates on low value housing than high (aka areas with mostly low value housing get a higher per 1000 value tax than areas with more expensive properties)

Whether I’m part of the 5% of people earning under $10,000 a year or make millions

vehicle registration, fees and taxes are the same.

(Lots of areas with very low mode incomes that can’t afford a $500 tax on a car)

My father / grandfather got most of their protein from the hundreds of miles of public forest behind their property.

If they were poor now and had to do that the fees are so extreme it’s cheaper to just buy food at the store due to fees which don’t reflect poverty.

So I would disagree than vehicle costs are progressive, many times poor people pay much more for a ride than moderately wealthy. (And nothing stops a wealthy person from driving a penalty box, my wealthier relatives drove meh vehicles most of the time)

Nationwide all electricity has a municipal substation tax charged (unless you are a large industrial complex with your own substation, then you pay off book wholesale). In areas like Rhode Island it’s extremely high, $50/month in many cases for a small house, this also explains the high rates that the utility passes on to its customers, unfortunate these supply taxes aren’t transparent, because people would likely be in a rage if they knew.

Last edited:
Back