EV EPA Calculated Numbers

Not entirely true. Tesla was able to posts losses because they were spending hundreds of millions of dollars per year in R&D. So when they weren't stuffing their coffers with cash they were getting a technology jump that the rest of the industry would never be able to catch up to.
If they weren't spending hundreds of millions of dollars per year for R&D they would have been profitable around 2013 or 2014.
Really? SO it's ok that Tesla spend money on building plants, R&D, but not GM?

No, they would not have been profitable in 2014, your creating fairy tales. Tesla never made money. Not hundreds of millions did they spend, they spent billions upon billions.
How do I know? Easy, they didnt turn a profit until 2021 and that was pitiful.
Also what is to catch up to? Nothing, you seem to think, GM and other automakers arent building vehicles, to survive one day Tesla may need to catch up to them.

Really? SO it's ok that Tesla spend money on building plants, R&D, but not GM?

No, they would not have been profitable in 2014, your creating fairy tales. Tesla never made money. Not hundreds of millions did they spend, they spent billions upon billions.
How do I know? Easy, they didnt turn a profit until 2021 and that was pitiful.
Also what is to catch up to? Nothing, you seem to think, GM and other automakers arent building vehicles, to survive one day Tesla may need to catch up to them.
GM is ending the bolt. Honda and gm ended their partnership to "get Tesla". VW cancelled their plans to do a multi billion dollar ev expansion, so did Mercedes, Toyota is barely luke warm towards EVs, ford is cutting back lightning production. Honda never really enterd the chat and Hyundai barely did.
The other manufacturers aren't building or are barely building electric and no one is spending money on r&d like Tesla.
The electric market belongs to Tesla. The only way to beat Tesla is to abandon electric vehicles all together.

GM is ending the bolt. Honda and gm ended their partnership to "get Tesla". VW cancelled their plans to do a multi billion dollar ev expansion, so did Mercedes, Toyota is barely luke warm towards EVs, ford is cutting back lightning production. Honda never really enterd the chat and Hyundai barely did.
The other manufacturers aren't building or are barely building electric and no one is spending money on r&d like Tesla.
The electric market belongs to Tesla. The only way to beat Tesla is to abandon electric vehicles all together.
Incorrect, GM is not ending the Bolt, but even if they did, so what? They already have more than Triple the EVs in the pipeline as Tesla. Tesla will never catch up.

Cancelling plans and production is normal for any new item. Guess what? EVs are not as popular as the industry thought. Who cares? You keep focusing on one engine, electric, GM has both, Tesla one and will never catch GM.
Silly discussion, I just wanted to correct you, GM is not cancelling the BOLT by the end of the year they will have switched it to their new battery platform that all their other vehicles are using.

A lot can change in November, and EVs can take a big hit if this team gets voted out.

Last edited:
Incorrect, GM is not ending the Bolt, but even if they did, so what? They already have more than Triple the EVs in the pipeline as Tesla. Tesla will never catch up.

Cancelling plans and production is normal for any new item. Guess what? EVs are not as popular as the industry thought. Who cares? You keep focusing on one engine, electric, GM has both, Tesla one and will never catch GM.
Silly discussion, I just wanted to correct you, GM is not cancelling the BOLT by the end of the year they will have switched it to their new battery platform that all their other vehicles are using.
Yeah that's the thing with gm they always have the solution to whatever in the pipeline and it never materializes.

EVs are probably here to stay with the only serious manufacturer being Tesla.
I wouldn't count anyone out, take a look at BYD. Automakers have come and gone throughout history. I remember when Toyota and Honda started to become popular in the US, now look at them. I started selling KIA in 2001, I'd say they grew substantially even prior to Hyundai buying them. To think that any of them, especially Toyota is going to rollover and play dead, I doubt it, give them time. If I had to bet I'd say within the next ten years Tesla's success will be slowly sinking, with EV buyers moving to other brands.

I wouldn't count anyone out, take a look at BYD. Automakers have come and gone throughout history. I remember when Toyota and Honda started to become popular in the US, now look at them. I started selling KIA in 2001, I'd say they grew substantially even prior to Hyundai buying them. To think that any of them, especially Toyota is going to rollover and play dead, I doubt it, give them time. If I had to bet I'd say within the next ten years Tesla's success will be slowly sinking, with EV buyers moving to other brands.

Tesla doesn’t need market share. I’d think they’re hoping that a smaller market share means more production when the EV industry gets big.

Yeah that's the thing with gm they always have the solution to whatever in the pipeline and it never materializes.
That's what happens when your the number one selling brand for 90 years. You can play around with what works. I don't think anyone had a worse record than Tesla bringing a truck to market years behind, and talk of the new cheaper car to come out that we still wait for.
BTW- I could care less about any corporation I just like all the facts to be correct. It's known GM can step on their own two feet constantly.
Only thing that matters to me is what's in it for me.

BTW- sat in a new Bolt today, wife likes it, it was great, here in land of the free, the dealer was closed but the cars unlocked so no sales person hanging over us. Spend a lot of time in it, checking it out. 2023 new Bolt EUV, LT1, all leather, ya da ya da.

Back