European Formula oil

Has anyone one used European formula oil in a non European car? Ex. in a Toyota etc.. is it ok to use the Euro formula oil in NON European cars?

Attachments

• 6ECD022E-082A-42F7-B589-D350D9784780.jpg
    6ECD022E-082A-42F7-B589-D350D9784780.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 56
Yes perfectly fine. I use Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 in a Nissan Frontier. Extremely popular with VQ40DE owners to remove startup noise and minimize timing chain wear. Also use Castrol Euro 5w30 on our QR25DE. As long as you’ve got the right viscosity and meets the Mfg standard (e.g API SP etc) then the oil could care less about what language the engineers speak at the car manufacturer. I have found these oils are great options for engines that are known to be hard on oil.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the responding. I want to use 5w40 on my 04 Tundra but can only find the European formula in that weight, yes I know the oil for my truck is 5w30 but I have used 10w40 with no issues.

Thank you everyone for the responding. I want to use 5w40 on my 04 Tundra but can only find the European formula in that weight, yes I know the oil for my truck is 5w30 but I have used 10w40 with no issues.
Usually it's only euro in 5w40. You'll have no issues.

That particular 5W40 is so-called "light" XW40 oil. HTHS should be around 3.7, so basically it is overkill for any American engine unless we are talking Corvette etc.
It won't do any harm, it will provide better protection, but you might suffer bit of MPG penalty which you might or might not notice.

That particular 5W40 is so-called "light" XW40 oil. HTHS should be around 3.7, so basically it is overkill for any American engine unless we are talking Corvette etc.
It won't do any harm, it will provide better protection, but you might suffer bit of MPG penalty which you might or might not notice.
Wdym by overkill?

Wdym by overkill?
European oils in general have higher HTHS than your average synthetic oil (ILSAC). While their KV100 is not necessarily that higher, HTHS as consequence of much better base stocks is. Also, they pack much more ZDDP. That particular M1 5W40 has ridiculous additive package. It will clean engine like no other.
But, question is: do you need it?

Interesting, my truck has 240k miles, no oil leaks, I wonder if I will develop any leaks after using that euro 5w-40 especially if it has the amount of cleaner( additive) you’re talking about.

I use Euro rated oils in non-Euro cars all the time.

Right now my Nissan with 2.5L QR25DE engine, is running Castrol Edge with the Euro specs of ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01. That will do me just fine thanks.

Last edited:
I run Euro oil in my 2006 Ford F-150 King Ranch. Engine seems to run smoother and quieter than with other oils. No problems whatsoever to report. Will continue to run it in the truck. Strongly considering changing my 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 over to Euro oil after my current stash runs out.

Full SAPS (like the M1 pictured in OP) is not good for an engine that burns oil, this will shorten the catalytic converter life. Main reason I no longer use it in my VQ35DE engine(s).

Full SAPS (like the M1 pictured in OP) is not good for an engine that burns oil, this will shorten the catalytic converter life. Main reason I no longer use it in my VQ35DE engine(s).
Oh no, should I use a different 5w40 brand? Anyone else has an input about it?

The only non European oil I can think of in 5W40 for gas engines is Chevron Delo 400 XSP, it's dual rated for Diesel and Gas. If 10W40 has been working for you, why change to 5W40? What climate are you running this car in?

The only non European oil I can think of in 5W40 for gas engines is Chevron Delo 400 XSP, it's dual rated for Diesel and Gas. If 10W40 has been working for you, why change to 5W40? What climate are you running this car in?
I’m in North Texas during school year and in the Dallas area during summers, we have cold winters and pretty hot summers. I wanted to go back to a 5w but stay with 40, I feel like a 5w40 would be great for my climates.

Back