European Formula oil

Has anyone one used European formula oil in a non European car? Ex. in a Toyota etc.. is it ok to use the Euro formula oil in NON European cars?
Yes, In EU we have use it in Japanese cars and still using it. Even my Honda cars have recommended them in owners manual(acea a3).

Oh no, should I use a different 5w40 brand? Anyone else has an input about it?
Relax mate, I had an Audi and like many European cars it consumed oil, yet I ran it on full SAPS oils and everything was fine.

Remember that Euro cars like Audi, VW, MB, BMW have catalytic converters too, yet they survive just fine on these oils.

My NE Oklahoma climate is very similar to Northern Texas, long hot summers and brief but often frigid winters. I use the euro formula Mobil 1 0w-40 in my ‘02 Jaguar XKR (factory supercharged) and have used it in numerous classic cars with ‘60’s era Ford engines.

The Jag was designed and built when Ford was running the show at Jaguar / LandRover so for better or worse it’s not a 100% European product by my way of thinking.

But rather a Anglo-American collaboration of sorts, sharing some parts with various Lincoln’s as well as having the same basic Supercharger as the Ford Lightning pickups

Back to the oil, for north Texas, I’d use the 0w-40 Mobil product, not the 5w-40.

Z

Northern Texas should be warmer than Central Indiana, I'd assume significantly less below zero days, 10W should be perfectly fine in that climate.

The Jag was designed and built when Ford was running the show at Jaguar so for better or worse it’s not a 100% European product by my way of thinking.
owners manual asks for acea a3 in most of the world and gf2 energy conserving only in america, just a CAFE and logistics thing. ford has been a member of acea since its creation

Last edited:
I’m confused, I lived in Houston for a while, prior to that Buffalo NY. Can’t recall north Texas being that north. You can run 5 down to -35c. Record coldest temp in Texas history was -30°C. If it gets that cold in Texas you’re likely to have bigger issues than cold start wear.

I’m confused, I lived in Houston for a while, prior to that Buffalo NY. Can’t recall north Texas being that north. You can run 5 down to -35c. Record coldest temp in Texas history was -30°C. If it gets that cold in Texas you’re likely to have bigger issues than cold start wear.
moot point there’s no reason to buy m1 fs 5w40 over the proven flagship fs 0w40

moot point there’s no reason to buy m1 fs 5w40 over the proven flagship fs 0w40
Ok, don’t disagree I typically use the 0w40 unless I accidentally order the wrong jug. But still the argument that you need some special cold weather oil specs for N Texas is a bit silly.

Unless it’s -35F or so then the 0W winter rating isn’t going to make a bit of difference. In fact it may be thicker.

Just going by my Jaguars owners manual, they don’t have a specific oil wt. recommendation.

But rather a scale to use based on the temperature range that car is likely to see in the cars “home” locale. Using that for my guide, 0w-40 is the manufacturer’s recommendation for my temp range in NE Oklahoma.

Z

Just going by my Jaguars owners manual, they don’t have a specific oil wt. recommendation.

But rather a scale to use based on the temperature range that car is likely to see in the cars “home” locale. Using that for my guide, 0w-40 is the manufacturer’s recommendation for my temp range in NE Oklahoma.

Z
Yes that may be how the chart shows in the manual. But what I posted is how the oil actually behaves.

Which is an issue that also doesn’t really exist unless the winter rating is so inappropriate that the oil cannot be pumped. If the oil can pump then it is pumped, and all oils have sufficient MOFT
when cold to protect.

Has anyone one used European formula oil in a non European car? Ex. in a Toyota etc.. is it ok to use the Euro formula oil in NON European cars?
That's almost all I use (when using off the shelf synthetic) in my Hyundai. Euro spec oil is very high quality. Sometimes I use an SP 10w-40 or dual rated 15w-40 HDEO if the price is good but now that winter is coming it will probably exclusively get euro 0/5w-40s.

Relax mate, I had an Audi and like many European cars it consumed oil, yet I ran it on full SAPS oils and everything was fine.

Remember that Euro cars like Audi, VW, MB, BMW have catalytic converters too, yet they survive just fine on these oils.
Just a question. Then what is the point of having Low SAPS oil and ACEA C rated oils?

Back