Euro Synthetic 5W30 Oils Used In American Branded GDI Engines ?

We never seem about to identify an approval as discriminating between superior and inferior regarding intake valve deposits. Some test or combination of tests might do the trick for an application, but we'll never know if the Honda hot tube testing could be the one or a combination of TEOST MHT + jet engine vent pipe simulator + CEC L-109 + some lawn mower cleanliness standard would help even more. If we knew, we probably knew for a certain climate around the vehicle and a certain leather trim in the vehicle but not necessarily the aged climate and leather three years from then.

Q
i was just thinking this after reading post #9 by greasymechanic. From #9, you would sure think VW spec wallops the SP spec. So now, where does this leave us? I’m pretty far behind the curve, still running A3/B4 Euro Castrol in a 2007 Subaru turbo, but my thinking was that A3/B4 was better than any API oil Subaru was able to recommend in 2007 (I think they were saying SM). Plenty of Subaru turbo owners were running (diesel) Rotella oil and bashing Mobil 1 in particular for supposedly ruining their engines. It has been my “philosophy” to pamper my engine with oil while I flog the ****e out of it on the road. I doubt I’m flogging it like those Porsche test machines, but it was fun to watch those engines squirm in defiance...especially the flat 6. My “philosophy“ has not changed, though maybe needs a freshening. I’m keeping an eye on M1 ESP. Maybe a flawed mental leap, but I won’t be scarfing up deals on old Pennzoil SN (Maybe their SP is better, and according to edyvw, their Euro is good stuff).

also, after reading that a Ford dealer is trying to sell a 2021 “dealer program” Transit van with 7000 miles for $13k OVER original MSRP, I guess I better continue to pamper my engines, as I can’t afford the current hysteria.

Well in terms of Noack...

API SP is 15% or less...

Dexos Gen 2 is less than 13%...

MB 229.5 is 10% or less...

Which of those oils utilize better base oils for volatility ?

Then we need to look at wear and deposits...

I would bet good money the MB 229.5 or Porsche C30 approved oils have tougher wear and deposit standards vs API SP...

Many of the euro automakers don't recognize the existence of LPSI, except for Mercedes. That's why they came up with 229.52 standard.
VW does, in Europe. I think they use the gas spray port to clean the valves like Toyota does. But only in Euro VW models...

VW does, in Europe. I think they use the gas spray port to clean the valves like Toyota does. But only in Euro VW models...
THe Audi Twin injection system is more for emissions than dirty intake valves, as they found at lower engine demands, direct injection doesn't meet internal emissions targets (which is derived from Euro standards).

THe Audi Twin injection system is more for emissions than dirty intake valves, as they found at lower engine demands, direct injection doesn't meet internal emissions targets (which is derived from Euro standards).
I'm not even sure how great dual injection is at preventing valve deposits, since it's only used at low loads and only a small amount of fuel is actually sprayed by the port injector when they are in use, in the Toyota implementation , I'm not sure how everyone else is doing it, the primary purpose is to create a fully atomized lean pocket in the entire cylider and then when the in cylinder injector injects the greater volume of fuel you get a rich fuel mixture in the middle of the cylinder near the spark plug and a lean pocket further out, which apparently helps keep the catalyst up to temp and I guess reduce fuel usage too or something.

Well it was VW, but "emmissions" in Europe? :LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)

I'm not even sure how great dual injection is at preventing valve deposits, since it's only used at low loads and only a small amount of fuel is actually sprayed by the port injector when they are in use, in the Toyota implementation
Are you sure?

Are you sure?

I remember seeing this guy babbling on about how you absolutely should not use anything other than 0w16 in newer Toyota's without any good explanation of what exactly goes wrong, so I don't think he always knows what he's talking about, he may be a decent Toyota tech, but that doesn't mean that he's exactly the gospel on how things work, this is an older Toyota video but this is an actual video from Toyota explaining how dual injection works.

during normal driving both sets of injectors are working, the only time the port injectors really stop in the cycle is when a high power demand is required. There are several newer better explanations and videos out there that I have posted. You combine D4s with Atkinson cycle simulation under low loads and there is reverse wash over the intake valve with the port injector already having injected accross the Port during the intake stroke. gone through the intake And As the valve closes as the piston travels up the cylinder direct injection fires for a rich mixture at center with the lean mixture to the outside of the chamber. There are Many possible ignition scenarios built in, the intake valve in most cases is under port injection wash the vast majority of the time.
I remember seeing this guy babbling on about how you absolutely should not use anything other than 0w16 in newer Toyota's without any good explanation of what exactly goes wrong, so I don't think he always knows what he's talking about, he may be a decent Toyota tech, but that doesn't mean that he's exactly the gospel on how things work, this is an older Toyota video but this is an actual video from Toyota explaining how dual injection works.

during normal driving both sets of injectors are working, the only time the port injectors really stop in the cycle is when a high power demand is required. There are several newer better explanations and videos out there that I have posted. You combine D4s with Atkinson cycle simulation under low loads and there is reverse wash over the intake valve with the port injector already having injected accross the Port during the intake stroke. gone through the intake And As the valve closes as the piston travels up the cylinder direct injection fires for a rich mixture at center with the lean mixture to the outside of the chamber. There are Many possible ignition scenarios built in, the intake valve in most cases is under port injection wash the vast majority of the time.
I tried to find the explanations and videos but didn't get very far. Can you provide some links or pointers to threads or messages? Thanks!

here are two explanations, just follow all the you tube suggestions to go down a rabbit hole.

Thanks so much. I've seen one of these before, but it was nice to get a refresher course. Plus the additional videos that popped up were also useful.

D4S has been around in costlier cars built by toyota a while + prolly a good thing as a DI cleaning is $$$$$. newest cars prolly have less issues but turbos always seem worse + are used more than ever today for efficiency + good power. our government allows a lot of BS from big manufacturers without stepping in as many donate $$$$ to it!! generally the less lighter oils in the blend the stouter it is, like 10-30 vs 0-30 + specs for a 10-30 everything being similar will be better, even Redlines xx-20 oils have worse noacks than say their 10-30's. those in hotter climates IMO should use the 10-30 synthetics as i do in girlfriends 18 kia 2.4L DI engine thats been great using no oil between changes + even after her recent 500 mile trip!!

LSPI is completely blown out of proportion. It happens when small turbo motors are lugged. I have a Theta II 2.0L TDI and aways use 93 octane along with Castrol 0W40, and never have issues. I don't run my car in eco mode because it seems to lug the engine. Valve deposits are a concern and is why I installed a catch can. I also run a bottle of regane or SI-1 right before an oil change to hopefully clean the piston crown and highpressure injectors. So far I have had 0 issues.

Back