Ethernet has a Self-Assigned IP address

Just upgraded my Internet Service and thought it would be a great idea to buy one big switch to replace the two smaller ones. See pictures.
Unplug both the smaller switches and plug all 15 ethernet cables into to the new Net Gear Switch. But know I get the message "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet" message. Wireless works fine. Computer, TV, nothing works via ethernet. I powered down everything

I panicked and removed the Netgear switch and reconnected my 2 smaller switches and now I have ethernet. Should l just return the Netgear device.?
Does it have the potential to improve my internet performance?

Thanks for your guidance.

PIcs

GS316

Attachments

• IMG_5378.jpg
    IMG_5378.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5379.JPG
    IMG_5379.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 45
I have no idea what you are talking about. My other switches are just plug and play
You might have to go into the main router's menu using your internet browser on wireless internet or ethernet, whichever way you can connect to the main router. You might want to look on youtube for that specific router, and how to enable DHCP, if it is still on let me know.

Here is all the instructions I got

Attachments

• IMG_5381.JPG
    IMG_5381.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5382.jpg
    IMG_5382.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 17
PIcs

GS316
Thanks, OK, so it's an unmanaged switch.

I was thinking, and xgmad implied, that it might be a managed switch. The pictures confirm that this is not the case.

Let's perform a test. Plug power into the netgear. Take the cable that runs from your router into your first d-Link and plug it into the netgear. Confirm there is a link light. Then, move just your computer to the netgear. Does it get an IP?

Here is all the instructions I got
Those instructions are very misleading, assuming your device with WiFi is your router. The picture they show is a router/gateway but then they refer to an access point, which doesn't handle DHCP, NAT/PAT....etc. You want to have it plugged into one of the LAN ports (the yellow ones) just like you likely do at present with one or both of the D-Link ones.

All the green lights were on before I removed it. I'll follow your instructions and be back

What in the world? I plugged directly from the EERO PRO 6 router into the first port on the Netgear and in about 10 seconds I got 2 green lights.
I then plugged in my iMac and I now have ethernet with 2 green lights.

What in the world? I plugged directly from the EERO PRO 6 router into the first port on the Netgear and in about 10 seconds I got 2 green lights.
oh yeah i forgot they can split instead of bridge.

Can I just go and start plugging everything else in? I got another iMac upstairs, Rokus all over the place....

169.254. x.x addresses are self assigned when the host for some reason can't get an address either by static, DHCP, BootP, or other means. The host OS assigns itself an address so that the adapter can be 'up'.

Excellent. So, what did you do differently last time? Did you follow the instructions and plug both the internet and the router into the switch?

Here's what I have. The left blue is from the modem and the right blue plugs into the switch.
IMG_5383.jpg
IMG_5385.jpg

Excellent. So, what did you do differently last time? Did you follow the instructions and plug both the internet and the router into the switch?
The only thing I did different was to follow the steps as you instructed. On initial hookup, I indiscriminately started plugging all
15 ethernet cables in the Netgear. One from the router and the rest from all my devices.

The only thing I did different was to follow the steps as you instructed. On initial hookup, I indiscriminately started plugging all
15 ethernet cables in the Netgear. One from the router and the rest from all my devices.
OK. Was wondering if you had unplugged both cords that are currently going into the EERO and hooked it up as the instructions seemed to imply, having both your modem and router running into the switch.

I have no yellow ports that I can see. I'm gonna send a pic of the back of the modem. I want to understand.

The Arris modem is only connected to my Eero Pro 6 router as pictured above. I then have my Eero plugged into port 1

Attachments

• IMG_5387.jpg
    IMG_5387.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5386.jpg
    IMG_5386.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 14
Back