ensure all oil is removed during oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I make sure I get all of the oil out of the system during the oil change? I am switching oil brands today and want to make sure I get all of the old oil out of all of the little tubes and crevasses. Does simply draining the oil really get it all out? Would it hurt to attempt to start the car (without it turning over) when the oil is basically empty to pump out any oil that could be hiding somewhere inside? I've never done that before has it just doesn't sound like a good idea, but wanted to check with the oil gods first.

Thanks!

BAD IDEA-you could pull air into your oil pump & potentially lose the pump prime. There's always a little oil left in your oil pan & under the valve cover anyway.

DO NOT start the motor without oil in the sump!!!!!!!!!!!

Just drain and refill with new oil. If you are REALLY that worried about it, buy double the amount of new oil. Do the oil change, drive around for ten minutes to have the new oil flush out all of the old oil, then do another oil change.

While completely unnecessary, if your are indeed that anal about your oil change, it is the safest way.

Why would you do something that is inherently damaging to your engine (running it low on oil) to prevent something that is kind of trivial (leaving 1/4 quart of oild oil in your engine that is to be diluted 15-20:1 with fresh oil)?

If you are that worried about it, buy some "cheaper" oil like formula shell and fill it after you drain, then dump that, you'll have diluted the used up oil some 200:1 at that point.

Ah...all you guys beat me to the keyboard...but the opnion is UNANIMOUS!

Turning it over with no oil in the pan will help get all the oil out...and quickly destroy your engine in the process!

that little bit of oil that's left in there won't hurt anything...the brands are compatible enough that the .25 to .5 QT remaining in all the galleries and passages will mix with the new...

You don't mention the type of car - if you've got an oil cooler, crack the lines and drain it too...

I even fill the filter before I put it back on (mounting angle permitting) to minimize the amount of time it turns over without full pressure.

Without oil pressure, your engine's life is measured in seconds...would you really want to use up those seconds during an oil change to get a few drops out?

Last edited:
You could also drain AND use an extraction device, but like everyone says, it is not really necessary. I actually get a better drain on my Mustang if it is on ramps, compared to when it is level.

Not unanimous. I am one who thinks getting as much OLD oil out as possible is very important. Turning the engine a couple revolutions without starting it won't hurt the bearings or anything, but with some engines, losing the pump prime is a real concern.

The best idea is to allow the old oil to drain a long time, then just fill the engine with a low cost oil and cheap OF. Start it, drive it a bit until warm, then drain well, save the oil, and replace OF and fill with new good oil. I have actually done this before. It does really help for extended OCI's in engines that retain too much old oil.

Never turn over the engine or attempt to start it to get the last bit of oil out. You'll probably cause more wear than starting the vehicle 100 times after it sat w/o running for a month. JMO

Unless you completly disassemble the entire engine there is no way to remove all the oil from the engine. Hydraulic lifters and oil galleys will always have some oil left in them as well as on top of the head(s). Having a little bit of oil left over inside is a non issue. Just drain it, put the new filter on, put the plug back in and fill it with your new oil.

Ok, you have confirmed my original thoughts. Thanks for the quick replies.

Pablo, I like your idea, but the cost is still a concern. Perhaps in the future I will use this idea.

Oh, and for those that have asked. I have a 2005 WRX. I honestly have no idea if I have an oil cooler or not. I'll look into that quick.

Here's a couple ideas for the overly compassionate.

1. After the oil pan is dripping, pour a few ounces down the fill hole.

2. After draining has commenced, put the drain plug back in and pour a quart in the sump then undo the oil plug again.

Maybe it won't get it all, but it might make you feel better.

BTW, the old oil in the sump actually helps keep the engine from going into shock from getting 100% new oil.

j/k

The 2 stupidest things I have heard on the internet:

1) Someone runs their engine every oil change empty, to get all the oil out for 1-2 minutes with drain plug removed.

2) A Honda owner (ricer) fed sand thru the trottle body while running to "polish" the trottle body and get more horsepower.

Totally insane !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Not unanimous. I am one who thinks getting as much OLD oil out as possible is very important.

Please explain why?

+1 I know of some who keep a couple of gallons of "cheap Oil" around.....just for this reason. They just reuse it for each Oil change to make sure that the old oil and filter is removed. If you leave the old filter on....the oil will get a lot dirty fast. IMO....it's best to change out the filter, if you intend on replacing the filter and not running it for 2 OCI, when the old oil is removed.

However, I do know of people who use to "click" on the engine a few times to get the old oil out of the upper passages and they did cause serious problems with their oil pump and lack of lubrication. They mentioned that the noise was loud and 10X worse than any dry start with a new filter or a faulty ADBV. They said, after a while of doing this, the engine sounded as if someone emptied a cutlery draw full of knives, forks and spoons into the engine.

IMO...If you want to get all the oil out, play it safe and use the cheap oil trick to get the old oil out and keep the oil on hand for your next OCI to do it again.

Not unanimous. I am one who thinks getting as much OLD oil out as possible is very important. Turning the engine a couple revolutions without starting it won't hurt the bearings or anything, but with some engines, losing the pump prime is a real concern.

The best idea is to allow the old oil to drain a long time, then just fill the engine with a low cost oil and cheap OF. Start it, drive it a bit until warm, then drain well, save the oil, and replace OF and fill with new good oil. I have actually done this before. It does really help for extended OCI's in engines that retain too much old oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
Not unanimous. I am one who thinks getting as much OLD oil out as possible is very important.

Please explain why?

Easy, for extended drains, starting with as much fresh oil as possible is very important. For 3K oil changes, probably makes no difference.

And NO I'm NOT advising him to run his engine dry, so please don't read those words into this.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

2) A Honda owner (ricer) fed sand thru the trottle body while running to "polish" the trottle body and get more horsepower.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

You don't need to toss the "flush oil" after each time it's used. Save it after for reuse...after several cycles, then toss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back