Engines a knocking, Oil Related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wanting to get everyones input on this. I bought a 94 Mark VIII, engine was perfect. I also bought a 96 Town Car that I have had for about a year, again, engine was perfect. I had a 93 Cadillac Sixty Special with the 4.9 V-8, engine was perfect. After a little while of me owning these cars the engines eventually started having bearing knock upon start-up. When you first start them they knock and then oil pressure builds and they quit. What could I be doing wrong that would cause that. I change oil faithfully and use Valvoline. I also use what ever weight it calls for. The only vehicles that are not doing it is the 86 Chrysler Fifth Avenue and the 91 Dodge B250 Conversion Van I have. I made a video where you can hear the noise. Listen when it first starts you can hear the knocking. Each revolution the engine makes it gets better until its gone.

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e8...t=100_1146.flv

What do you guys think? The only time they get drove hard is when I pass someone, I stomp it down. The Town Car and Cadillac makes the same sounds. Well the Cadillac dont because it was totalled.

Thanks Blaze

can't hear it.....maybe it's piston slap - are you sure it's "bearing knock"? How many miles on the cars?

What vis of oil was in the cars before you bought them?

you have to listen real close, as soon as the engine starts you can hear a knocking that goes away with every revolution of the engine. My friend played it a few times and then he heard it. 5w-30 valvoline has been used since new in it. Oil has been changed between 2800-3500 miles.

Blaze

Iam not sure what filter is on it now, but before this last change it had the motorcraft one on it that has the anti-drain back valve in it and it still made noise.

Blaze

The 4.6 2V is usually bulletproof. Use a Motorcraft 820S filter and see if that makes a difference. Most common cause of knocking (not during startup) in 4.6 2Vs was a clogged oil pump pickup screen. The oil pressure can get low enough to cause an engine knock without turning on thenoil pressure light, sad but true.

The 4V in the MKVIII is notorious for secondary chain tensioner problems. There was a TSB for that concern (startup knock/tick). Labor charge (non warranty) runs about 11-12 hours to replace the tensioners.

I listened 2x and I hear chattering lifter noise.
oil filter you use has no anti drain back valve
and the lifters could be dirty with burnt crude oil.

have you had a valve cover off?
does the dipstick have any baked on crude oil?
ever cut open a filter? you should to see if sludge
build up is in the pleat, if yes your engine could be something like the new Castrol commercial have you been sludged? people like to change oil at 3000 mile OCI but not many actually cut open a filter to see if the engine is really running clean
laugh.gif

too afraid to seek the truth
popcorn.gif

Definitely is not a bearing IMO. Sounds like hydraulic lifters pumping back up. Bearings would make noise LONG after you started the vehicle; so would piston slap. And piston slap usually sets in about 10 to 15 seconds after the engine fires and then gradually goes away to quiet a couple minutes after.

Some engines just do this regardless of what you do or what filter you use.

Even if the oil filter has a ADBV, it could still have some leakdown. I have started using MANN filters that have a nitrile diaphram and perhaps around such time during the colder months, I have become aware of the clatter at start-up on my volvo. I have previously used PureOne's with the silicon diaphram and just might have to give it a try next change. It could also be that I have become less excepting of sounds that seem straining as the means to selection and research is in attempt of protection and longlife of both power plant and vehicle...where I would have otherwise not have given it a thought. Strange.

FWIW - in my dash manual it says such a sound is normal when having the vehicle sit for extended periods, and not to rev. the engine until such sound stops. From what I have seen through the oil fill hole of like engines in the yard, it doesn't appear to do much of any harm.

use Auto-RX,clean the engine,,rinse with a good 5w-30 Chevron,Shell ,or, the install Schaeffers 10w-30 7000 and a good Baldwin ,Wix,Motor Craft,or Super Tech (wall mart) oil filter selection in that order.BL

I have the "knocking" issue on startup with my 00 Ford expedition 5.4l 2v. I would call it more of a "clatter" I asked the same question as you on the F150 online forums and they had a different approach. They said the modular Ford motors are made from componants of different types of materials. Composites, Iron, steel, aluminum. When cold at startup all of these different materials have different responses to heat and cold and expand and contract accordingly at different rates. This will partially but not completely be part of the knocking issue.

Im no engineer so I have no idea if this theory holds water but I thought I would throw that out for discussion.

I start mine and drive immediately very gently to try to get the motor up to operating temp as quickly as possible then all is good.

You mention using Valvoline dino.
I used it for a couple of OCIs, and my engine was very noisy and clattery.
Switched to Castrol GTX HM, noises gone.
I never really thought what oil I used mattered much until I heard it.
smirk.gif

Maybe add some VSOT or SLOB to your mix.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back