Engineering Explained - Air Filter Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
YAY! Thanks for posting
thumbsup2.gif

I think its been proven in the past that something like a K&N filter can improve power numbers, and even throttle response. The problem I've found is the actual filtration they provide. Run a K&N filter for a couple thousand miles then check the tube behind the filter... In my experience it gets pretty dirty. I've run them on several vehicles before I ever checked that. What kind of real world wear/tear would that cause? Not sure, but to me it seems the filter doesn't do what its supposed to do... filter air.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
I think its been proven in the past that something like a K&N filter can improve power numbers, and even throttle response. The problem I've found is the actual filtration they provide. Run a K&N filter for a couple thousand miles then check the tube behind the filter... In my experience it gets pretty dirty. I've run them on several vehicles before I ever checked that. What kind of real world wear/tear would that cause? Not sure, but to me it seems the filter doesn't do what its supposed to do... filter air.

You're absolutely right! Without a filtration comparison this test is worthless. If filtration isn't measured then without ANY filter your hp will go up even more, but then what's the point if you shorten engine life?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I hope he does a follow-up video about filtration efficiency.

+1^^^^

I think i'll climb out on a limb here and say I think the oem filter would catch more dirt than the k&n filter.
smile.gif

Thanks for the post Danno.

I think there was a discussion on here a while back where someone changed only the air filter with their UOA samples on the same oil and it was shown that K&N drastically increased the Si levels.

The 1-3 percent improvement in the test is very insignificant.
I would stay away from using any reuseable air filter like the K&N, which is not worth the cost of around $45.
Use any regular $10-15 engine air filter and throw it away after 12K-15K miles.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
This air filter study has been referenced here many times in the past, and pretty much says all that needs to be said regarding filtering capability of K&N vs. other filters, as well as flow, etc..

I forgot how well AC delco did in that study. I wonder if they are still the same today. I should source one for the Caravan and see how it affects the Si numbers once I have my first UOA completed with the stock filter in there now.

Originally Posted by StevieC

I forgot how well AC delco did in that study. I wonder if they are still the same today. I should source one for the Caravan and see how it affects the Si numbers once I have my first UOA completed with the stock filter in there now.

They probably source/"contract to supply" from a half dozen different companies to fill all parts numbers.

There's no guarantee they all come from the same place.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
The 1-3 percent improvement in the test is very insignificant.
I would stay away from using any reuseable air filter like the K&N, which is not worth the cost of around $45.
Use any regular $10-15 engine air filter and throw it away after 12K-15K miles.

^^^^^^
True indeed.

Though one can easily run a good air filter for 25-40k miles in many settings. Unless someone lives in high dust/silicon areas like the southwestern US. May want to check on it at or about 15-20k miles with a UOA test.. Then go from there.

Wix air filters are 99.5% per ISO 5011 testing. Purolator PureOnes are 99%. STP premium are 98%.

STP regular air filters are a horrible 90%. Some how worse than a K and N. Talk a true rock catcher.

lol.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back