Engine washing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any one give me proper direction to wash engine without covering air filter, alternator, break fluid resurviour, power steering fluid and things like these as they needs to be cleaned as well. I would appreciate your help. Thanks

[ December 05, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: car_junkie_moron ]

cool.gif
Assuming it's a newer car, they're sealed up pretty well really. After I'm done with the outside I open the hood, use the wash mitt on all the surfaces, then dump the rest of the bucket all over the engine and hose it off. I don't cover anything, never had a problem. FWIW the '91 Lincoln I sold two years ago had 152k on it and you could eat off the engine.
grin.gif

I do the same exact engine bath as JohnnyO
cheers.gif
. Have never had any problems doing it that way. It really keeps the engine bay looking nice. If you are starting off with a really dirty engine, you may need to use a stronger cleaner like simple green or similar for a pre-soak.
G/luck
Joel

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
cool.gif
Assuming it's a newer car, they're sealed up pretty well really. After I'm done with the outside I open the hood, use the wash mitt on all the surfaces, then dump the rest of the bucket all over the engine and hose it off. I don't cover anything, never had a problem. FWIW the '91 Lincoln I sold two years ago had 152k on it and you could eat off the engine.
grin.gif

This car is 99 camry, Just changed timing belt on it, and seeing a little gap on timing belt cover. its one thing that freaking me out, another is alternator should i keep it in sun before start car to let it dry? would it be harmful to put on some engine degreeser on it? should i cover my oil filter with plastic or something as it is right in front of the block.

[ December 05, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: car_junkie_moron ]

quote:

Originally posted by car_junkie_moron:
This car is 99 camry, Just changed timing belt on it, and seeing a little gap on timing belt cover. its one thing that freaking me out, another is alternator should i keep it in sun before start car to let it dry? would it be harmful to put on some engine degreeser on it? should i cover my oil filter with plastic or something as it is right in front of the block.

I have a 00 camry 4 cyl. I used engine degreaser and a garden hose. Covered nothing. The engine degreaser does discolour some of the paintwork, and it is not even the heavy duty stuff. Best to use soap & water and scrubbing with a sponge. Used my garden hose and sprayed over everything,including the alternator. Everything works fine.

Make sure the motor is cool! Then you can use fan pressure on the hose to wash all engine down. Once done start the vehicle up and let it idle for a few minutes. I then take the vehicle for a drive to bring it up to operating temperature. Finish up with dressing the engine with a protectant.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 6100 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82200 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

not to make u guys mad, but my car is always on when i wash my engine, and the engine is always hot...i have not had a problem for 13 years...

i only cover the dist cap and slightly touch the spark wires, thats it...the alternator, i spray around it, not on it directly...

i never had a short or anything, the myth is, ur engine may warp...lol i havent had a prob but just stay safe and dont do what i do.

pressure washer is better than a pressure nozzle...

quote:

Originally posted by car_junkie_moron:
its one thing that freaking me out, another is alternator should i keep it in sun before start car to let it dry? would it be harmful to put on some engine degreeser on it? should i cover my oil filter with plastic or something as it is right in front of the block.

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless it's greasy, the degreaser can cause more harm on electronics than water. As long as the filter is tight, which it should be, I wouldn't worry about it. I go off-roading once or twice a year with my Ranger club and I get mud around my oil filter but it doesn't get past the gasket. (I change the filter afterward anyway just to be safe though.) Dump soapy water all over and hose it off, then start it up to evaporate the water. Be brave, little one.
grin.gif

We wash dozens of engines every day. people expect it as part of the car wash. We don't use any chemicals, just a 15 hp pump on a 1" hose with a 1/4 inch nozzle. Take care around the oil filler cap, computer and fusebox. Dry with air hose and Sun if time permits.

Textbook...you should cover the air intake, alternator and electrical components. Since my car has a sealed intake and electrical...all I do is cover the alternator with aluminum foil because it stays put. Spray product on cool engine (hot engine may cause cracked block if cold water sprayed on it), let sit for alloted time and rinse off with light judicious water flow from garden hose. NEVER use pressure wash of any sorts as this will push water into areas that were never designed to see it...eg. inside connectors, sensitive components etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back