Engine rebuilds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a couple sbc and bbc, then decided it cost about the same to just buy a crate motor, and a heck of a lot easier.

I've done a few (Ford 360/'68 F-100 pickup, Ford 351W/'78 F-100, two older SB Chevys, 1.6 Honda motor in the car)-my desire to get incredibly dirty, engine parts everywhere in the garage, and a vehicle out of service for a month have all declined as I've gotten older. If I had a big pole barn, a lift, and more room I would probably try it on a project car, but not a DD.

I've done a few. If you're just replacing an engine in your daily driver, buy a remanufactured engine with a warranty, then just remove and replace the old one. This can be done maybe over a weekend if you're fast, but better done over a week to allow time to fix the things you destroyed taking the old engine out and to fix other things that are easy to do with the engine out.

It's not worth the effort to rebuild the old one unless you want to modify it for greater performance, then you're into the realm of pursuing a hobby and not maintaining a daily driver.

I have done a few.
Older British Iron, and early Japanese. I take my time working in the evening and stopping if I get tired. I find it almost therapeutic.
I don't feel confident enough to work to a deadline.

Someone once told me "an amateur with the book in one had and wrench in the other is often better than the mechanic that 'thinks' he knows what hes doing"

AAA once did a study and found out a third of rebuilt engines needed to be re-rebuilt, because it was done improperly the first time. I don't know the details behind that statement.

Engine rebuilds, axles, transmissions, etc help pay my kid's college.

It comes naturally for some. There are donkey's out there that give the good mechanics a bad name. When I was in Jr High in study hall, my friends would be shooting the pOOp and I would be in the back rebuilding carbs. I actually got into a bit of trouble once when they smelled gas from my locker. They were cool when they realized what I as doing though. Different times.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
AAA once did a study and found out a third of rebuilt engines needed to be re-rebuilt, because it was done improperly the first time. I don't know the details behind that statement.

The problem is today that most rebuilds are done by guys who are just assemblers.
They rely on the machinist to get the critical stuff right.

One of my pet peeves is the misuse of Plastigauge as an alternative to proper measuring tools but thats another story.

Originally Posted By: Trav

The problem is today that most rebuilds are done by guys who are just assemblers.

One of my pet peeves is the misuse of Plastigauge as an alternative to proper measuring tools but thats another story.

No doubt but at least they are making an attempt to do a decent job. I have seen more than a few of the local dirt track guys just throw one together without checking anything - usually seen later in a cloud of smoke on race night.

With rebuilding - You can never be clean enough, measure enough, or double check enough.

Originally Posted By: Trav

There are some rebuilders in Oz, who have insanely low prices. I've seen workmates who have bought two (three) of them, one a Toyota Diesel, the other an old Holden Grey motor.

Only way that they could rebuild them so cheap was used components...pretty sure the only new components were rings, main and rod bearings and gaskets...when we had problems with the grey, they admitted that they mixed and matched components from multiple engines to make "good", and "fair" rebuilds, and priced accordingly.

Yes, I've done many high power, 13,000RPM+ DOHC 4 cylinder engines. I had a guy who did great head work, I would do all the assembly/disassembly. I have also done manual transmission rebuilds. Auto trannies are made out of magic as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

Auto trannies are made out of magic as far as I can tell.

That made me laugh, I feel the same way. I have done Engines and manuals. No autos.

A normal auto rebuild is not a big problem its when it comes to doing the work to handle higher HP it can get difficult especially if machine work needs to be done.

I will let someone build it for me that knows the unit well and builds a lot of them. They know all the weak spots and how to take care of it.
Triple Edge is one of the best in the business.

I wouldn't call it a rebuild but I've done a few "ring jobs". Didn't measure any specs, put in new rings, con-rod bearings, timing set, gaskets... button 'er up and the oil burning goes way down.

If I had catastrophic damage like a thrown rod I'd junk that engine and dump another one in. (I'd freshen timing belts etc while out of the car.) Probably a good used engine vs a parts store one "rebuilt" in a 3rd world country somewhere.

I guess I believe blowing an engine is an anomaly and that I have a never ending stream of good powertrains in rusted out cars I can harvest.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

Auto trannies are made out of magic as far as I can tell.

That made me laugh, I feel the same way. I have done Engines and manuals. No autos.

I used to hang out at a well known Hi-po shop in Largo with a pro builder.

Many times a huge increase in torque capacity could be realized with just different clutches, more of them, and/or even taking out the wavy ones. Then jack up the pump pressure.

This guy made a TH400 bulletproof for very reasonable prices, was very well known in racing circles. But you could NEVER use rubber hoses or regular hose clamps again...

TH 400,350's are very simple $50 worth of parts rebuilt them. Modern auto's are incredibly complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back